(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How many LORs can I (reasonably) ask one professor to write?

1 :(
9%
2 :\
27%
3 :|
27%
4 :)
9%
Unlimited :D
27%

Total votes: 11

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Socially-acceptable number of LORs to request?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Just ask the people who know you best/will say the best things about you, for both things. You can ask profs for multiple letters - it's totally fine.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Just ask and ask the prof to save the draft because you're going to need one again for law school in a few months. Jesus Christ, this isn't that hard.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:26 am

Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:29 am

I don't know "how many" is the limit (I think that that would depend on your personal relationship with the professor/their personality), but I would say that this one specific scholarships and law school, just the two, should be fine. I don't know your exact situation, but if it were me, I would probably ask for both simultaneously. I think even if one is specific to a certain scholarship/comparing you to a certain person, it could still be reworked into a general LOR since you have the same qualities as a person whether or not they're being looked at as compared to Thomas Jefferson, or Martin Luther King, Jr., or whoever. Beyond that, hopefully any other endeavors for which you will need LORs will just require general ones.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Agree with everything ITT. Just tell your prof upfront that you will be asking for another (or... ask for another now to be sent in... getting it in early doesn't hurt). Two is fine, but if you want to make sure it's "socially acceptable" just be upfront with him rather than surprisingly asking him for another in 3 months.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:17 am

Usually, your LOR writers are fairly close to you as mentors (or they were in my case). As such, I have had several of my mentors who have written 5+ letters for me over several years, ranging from scholarships, nominations to national boards, and to law school (and PhD programs) as I'm looking at dual programs. When I first asked for letters, I asked them if they would be willing to let me craft the letter for them, and would they make the changes they saw fit. All 5 letter writers agreed to this.

To decrease the burden on them, they've all allowed me to modify a previous letter written (say for a scholarship or something), then send it to them for any necessary revisions before they sign it. it works well for both of us, as I know what I'd like them to say related to what I am applying for, and since they appreciate how I've helped them in the past too, it's really reciprocal for both parties. And, they enjoy someone willing to take the steps necessary to save them time, so don't limit yourself in terms of frequency (unless it's every day or something, lol), and I'd rather encourage you to have a conversation with them about this.

Whenever I've talked to them about my concern of being too needy when it comes to this, it has helped further strengthen our relationship as they know I am keeping their schedules at heart as well, and they have a genuine interest in helping me succeed in my professional endeavors.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm

2 should be fine. If you don't have someone who would be comfortable writing both of these, then they probably aren't someone you should be asking about to write either of them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”