C & F issue

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
walterwhite

C & F issue

Postby walterwhite » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Last edited by walterwhite on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sgt Pepper

Re: C & F issue

Postby Sgt Pepper » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 pm

If I were you I would just disclose anything that is borderline. I had a significantly worse C&F issue and it didn't affect my cycle (just starting this year) at all.

rad21

Postby rad21 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 pm

When you start law school, you'll have to undergo a very rigorous background check that, in part, will require you to list any and all incidents. They don't really care about the substance of the incidents (assuming no felony or drugs, etc.); they care about whether you were consistent/open/honest in your reporting of those incidents. If you do not include it on your law school app but you include it on your BLE app, that is an inconsistency and will reflect negatively on you. You might as well just list everything now. You'll thank yourself later.

I suppose if it's something so minor that you think it'll never be found by an extensive background check, then you could leave it off both applications. But then you're taking a gamble that it'll be found and you'll have to explain to the board why you didn't disclose it. Since it won't really matter - unless you hide it - you might as well be open about it.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm

I would normally side with the two above posters: disclose. However, go and make an inquiry with every agency that could possibly have a record of this: either your school, the police department that issued citations, etc etc. If any of them have any mention of you, disclose. If there is no record of you, fuck it, why bother disclosing? None of this should really affect your cycle, no one will really care. But keep in mind that everything you disclose now will also have to be thoroughly documented and explained come Bar Admission time. If there no record with your university, university police, or the police departments about any of these events having taken place, then why bother? You'll have plenty of other headaches come bar prep time than a few incidents that no one remembers or has bothered to record.

Cheers

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”