Oh god my professors won't answer my LOR requests!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tigersaresexy

Oh god my professors won't answer my LOR requests!

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm starting to freak. I emailed my two ideal LOR candidates, I would have gone in person but I moved abroad for the year (my parents live in India) one of them emailed me back saying she'd love to and asking me to visit in her office hours the other never replied at all.

I replied to the one, explaining that I couldn't come in to office hours because I was in India, and I attached my resume and a small statement of intent. I never heard back (It's been a week)

Now I'm getting really freaked out, I don't have many professors to chose from (I hated my major, kind of got stuck with it and never made an effort to get to know people in the department) and I'm worried I won't have any LOR's from any professors at all! I have two good ones from an internship I did over the summer and the work I'm doing right now (both were very writing-heavy), but I should have at least one academic reference right? I only just graduated so I can't even use the "I've been out of college for long" excuse.

Any advice? Is it worth reaching out to a professor from sophomore year for a boilerplate? I feel like an addendum whining about how no one responded to my emails isn't going to look great. I'm aiming for top 20 schools.

hephaestus

Re: Oh god my professors won't answer my LOR requests!

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Reach out to other professors. I know this seems like a big deal to you, but LORs are extremely unlikely to help/hurt you (unless you have a prof insulting you or something similar).

Merylian

Postby Merylian » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Why not just give them a call? At least the one who already said she'd write for you. Emails are easy to lose or forget. The worst that can happen is an awkward conversation.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:29 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Reach out to other professors. I know this seems like a big deal to you, but LORs are extremely unlikely to help/hurt you (unless you have a prof insulting you or something similar).

Unless you're applying for HYS, LORs are TTT. You're freaking out way too much. Barring any letter from anyone saying, "This applicant is a moron. I do not recommend him/her," you're good. Purely anecdotal, but I know a guy that got in a top 30 using LORs from two reTTTTail managers. He worked a part time job.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Reach out to other professors. I know this seems like a big deal to you, but LORs are extremely unlikely to help/hurt you (unless you have a prof insulting you or something similar).

Unless you're applying for HYS, LORs are TTT. You're freaking out way too much. Barring any letter from anyone saying, "This applicant is a moron. I do not recommend him/her," you're good. Purely anecdotal, but I know a guy that got in a top 30 using LORs from two reTTTTail managers. He worked a part time job.

+1. Doesn't sound like these profs were going to be good enough LORs for HYS anyway, so just find someone else to write a mediocre recommendation that will be good enough for literally every other school.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:08 am

I have one that answered my email to send the information. But never heard back again. I sent a follow up a couple days ago and still haven't heard back. I have two letters, is that enough to apply to all school??

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:11 am

NanaP wrote:I have one that answered my email to send the information. But never heard back again. I sent a follow up a couple days ago and still haven't heard back. I have two letters, is that enough to apply to all school??

Don't know about ALL schools, but I haven't seen more than 2 required so far. A bunch say 2-3, with a max of 4 or something.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:13 am

AT9 wrote:
NanaP wrote:I have one that answered my email to send the information. But never heard back again. I sent a follow up a couple days ago and still haven't heard back. I have two letters, is that enough to apply to all school??

Don't know about ALL schools, but I haven't seen more than 2 required so far. A bunch say 2-3, with a max of 4 or something.

Ok thanks, maybe I'll just go with the two I have. I can't believe he hasn't answered me back!

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:41 am

Cicero76 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

+1. Doesn't sound like these profs were going to be good enough LORs for HYS anyway, so just find someone else to write a mediocre recommendation that will be good enough for literally every other school.

Sounds about right. If OP's professors write him LORs, they're probably TTT LORs.

Not saying that as a slight to you, OP. My LORs were TTT. 99.9% of all LORs are TTT.

As Cicero was probably implying, if you're having this problem getting the letters in the first place, even if you get them, they will most likely look like this:

"To whom it may concern. This class was difficult. You need these skills to succeed. OP did well and got an A. I recommend him."

Bottom line: Don't panic about this at all. Two mediocre letters and a great LSAT/GPA combo will do wonders for your cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”