desperate brother.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clay7676

Bronze

desperate brother..

Post by clay7676 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:40 am

My brother & best friend got a DWI, has a C&F problem now. dropped charges...diversion program...arrest record maintained (15 months b4 apps will be submitted) (coupled with volunteer work w/ MADD and ALOT other volunteer work, good softs). Looking at top schools, no other record of alcohol problems. Intense rehabilitation & therapy & sobriety sought and maintained since. How skrewed is he? 3.8 172 (retaking in OCtober with hope of 175+. Top as in YHSCVGULC.

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: desperate brother..

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:07 am

Even when people do the right things afterward, DWI/DUI is a significant negative at top schools. He had very little chance at YHS with his numbers as it was, and he has effectively no shot now. It's hard for me to say for all of the lower T14, because I've only seen this for a small number of applicants. I predict an unpredictable cycle lies ahead. Schools are likely to be slightly more "forgiving" now than they were three or four years ago, but he's still going to lose large amounts of scholarship money if he gets admitted.

clay7676

Bronze

Post by clay7676 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:07 am

I'll take your word for it. Though just from knowing him personally, it was a little more than "just doing the right thing", it was changing his lifestyle, direction. Which I believe had a lot do with his academic/professional success. But if they truly only see DUI/DWI for only what it is, then I can see it not mattering too much. It would heartbreaking for him not to get into some great schools, he really has worked tremendously hard since such behavior.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:12 am

clay7676 wrote:I'll take your word for it. Though just from knowing him personally, it was a little more than "just doing the right thing", it was changing his lifestyle, direction. Which I believe had a lot do with his academic/professional success. But if they truly only see DUI/DWI for only what it is, then I can see it not mattering too much. It would heartbreaking for him not to get into some great schools, he really has worked tremendously hard since such behavior.
You mean driving drunk? Yes they see it as it is. He may need to work for a couple of years to get time between his arrest and his application. Remember he will be competing against applicants who have the same or better credentials and who don't have any C &F issues.

He could go ahead and apply and see where he gets in this year. It doesn't hurt him to do that as far as I know.

clay7676

Bronze

Post by clay7676 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:28 pm

I guess it can't hurt. He says he thought they may overlook one incident given good scores and contribution to society. I guess we will see where he gets in. He hopes to write a stellar diversity statement coupling this arrest and dropped charges with his personal issues behind it all. Pray for him please, his name is Jack, and thanks for the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:44 pm

clay7676 wrote:I guess it can't hurt. He says he thought they may overlook one incident given good scores and contribution to society. I guess we will see where he gets in. He hopes to write a stellar diversity statement coupling this arrest and dropped charges with his personal issues behind it all. Pray for him please, his name is Jack, and thanks for the advice.
lol @ praying for drunks...

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Regulus wrote:
clay7676 wrote:I guess it can't hurt. He says he thought they may overlook one incident given good scores and contribution to society. I guess we will see where he gets in. He hopes to write a stellar diversity statement coupling this arrest and dropped charges with his personal issues behind it all. Pray for him please, his name is Jack, and thanks for the advice.
Who said he's a drunk? People make mistakes... Don't be an asshole.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Regulus wrote:
I'm sorry, but I think he should be in jail.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:51 pm

clay7676 wrote:My brother & best friend got a DWI, has a C&F problem now. dropped charges...diversion program...arrest record maintained (15 months b4 apps will be submitted) (coupled with volunteer work w/ MADD and ALOT other volunteer work, good softs). Looking at top schools, no other record of alcohol problems. Intense rehabilitation & therapy & sobriety sought and maintained since. How skrewed is he? 3.8 172 (retaking in OCtober with hope of 175+. Top as in YHSCVGULC.
Given the likely unpredictability of his upcoming cycle, he should be sending apps to the entire top-14, not just whatever the bolded amalgam above is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:51 pm

dowu wrote:
Regulus wrote:
This kind of "mistake" could have resulted in a loss of life. How would you feel if you lost a child, friend, or family member because of one of these morons? This shit happens everyday.

blameitonbuddy

New

Post by blameitonbuddy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:52 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Regulus wrote:
For what? Having paid his debt to society and then some?

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:52 pm

dowu wrote:
Regulus wrote:
Drinking and driving is a mistake you should go to jail for

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:56 pm

blameitonbuddy wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Regulus wrote:
For what? Having paid his debt to society and then some?
Would you still be singing this tune if it were you that got hit and were paralyzed from waist down for life? One day, you're just minding your own business. Then some asshole runs into you because he's had a bit too much to drink. Your entire life is different now. Let me repeat that: You might have died, or you are unable to walk FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

It's more common than you think:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -in-tears/

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... -ones.html

This shit is seriously not funny. It's not a small mistake. Countless lives have been ruined by such reckless behavior.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 pm

http://www.newyorkwebsite.org/admissions/questions/

There is a live Q&A going on with Mike Spivey, Karen Buttenbaum(former HLS adcomm), and one of the adcomms from NU. Post your question there

clay7676

Bronze

Post by clay7676 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:03 pm

First of all, I acknowledge that he made a very serious mistake and has and should take full responsibility for it. Nevertheless, alcoholism (alcohol in general at that) is another serious social and personal problem and while it is by no means an excuse for any malicious behavior, it is commendable when people recover from it and change their lives. Also, while I get that you are mainly speaking in general terms, you don't know the actual facts or context of my brother's particular incident so I find that a little rude. But, like I said, it is by all means his fault and a stupid, deadly mistake. It's heartwarming for me though to see him doing so well and that's why IMO, I hope it is not a definitive "no" for when he applies to law schools.

clay7676

Bronze

Post by clay7676 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:03 pm

t-14orbust wrote:http://www.newyorkwebsite.org/admissions/questions/

There is a live Q&A going on with Mike Spivey, Karen Buttenbaum(former HLS adcomm), and one of the adcomms from NU. Post your question there
I will do that, thanks.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm

clay7676 wrote:First of all, I acknowledge that he made a very serious mistake and has and should take full responsibility for it. Nevertheless, alcoholism (alcohol in general at that) is another serious social and personal problem and while it is by no means an excuse for any malicious behavior, it is commendable when people recover from it and change their lives. Also, while I get that you are mainly speaking in general terms, you don't know the actual facts or context of my brother's particular incident so I find that a little rude. But, like I said, it is by all means his fault and a stupid, deadly mistake. It's heartwarming for me though to see him doing so well and that's why IMO, I hope it is not a definitive "no" for when he applies to law schools.
Fair enough. It's not a definite no. Your brother has good stats and some school MIGHT still take him, especially in this climate.

It doesn't look good though. Schools take this stuff very seriously.

As someone said before, it doesn't hurt to try.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blameitonbuddy

New

Post by blameitonbuddy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 pm

[/quote]Would you still be singing this tune if it were you that got hit and were paralyzed from waist down for life? One day, you're just minding your own business. Then some asshole runs into you because he's had a bit too much to drink. Your entire life is different now. Let me repeat that: You might have died, or you are unable to walk FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

It's more common than you think:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -in-tears/

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... -ones.html

This shit is seriously not funny. It's not a small mistake. Countless lives have been ruined by such reckless behavior.[/quote]

Am I really on a site for aspiring attorneys? Or has this place turned into a forum whereby self-appointed moral authorities chastise people for making a mistake? The fact of the matter is that in many states, you do go to jail for a DWI/DUI. And in those where you don't, you still maintain the stigma long after you pay for your proverbial sins.

The OP asked for help/advice for his brother. I don't see how some bullshit, ethical diatribe helps him in the least. But I do hope you feel better...as for whether or not I understand how pervasive this problem is, suffice it to say I work in a place that deals with this issue daily. So, in other words, I'm fully aware.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 am

:lol: I think everyone's taking my comment the wrong way. I originally just wrote "lol @ praying" (because we all know that praying is an effective way to get a boost in admissions), but then I added the "for drunks" onto the end of my comment because I'm sure that gawd has a special place in his heart for reckless drivers.

Asking random people you don't know on the interwebz to pray for your driving-while-intoxicated brother so that he can go to lawl school is just a very funny thing to request (from an agnostic's / atheist's perspective, at least).

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:46 am

Regulus wrote::lol: I think everyone's taking my comment the wrong way. I originally just wrote "lol @ praying" (because we all know that praying is an effective way to get a boost in admissions), but then I added the "for drunks" onto the end of my comment because I'm sure that gawd has a special place in his heart for reckless drivers.

Asking random people you don't know on the interwebz to pray for your driving-while-intoxicated brother so that he can go to lawl school is just a very funny thing to request (from an agnostic's / atheist's perspective, at least).
I also loled

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:02 am

t-14orbust wrote:http://www.newyorkwebsite.org/admissions/questions/

Ha nice. Thanks for sharing the link. Turned out to be a cool event.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clay7676

Bronze

Post by clay7676 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:24 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Regulus wrote::lol: I think everyone's taking my comment the wrong way. I originally just wrote "lol @ praying" (because we all know that praying is an effective way to get a boost in admissions), but then I added the "for drunks" onto the end of my comment because I'm sure that gawd has a special place in his heart for reckless drivers.

I also loled
Well if he got into YLS and you had prayed, I'm sure you would be happy to get a nice 'thank you'.

Gonococcal

New

Is it that cut-and-dried?

Post by Gonococcal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Regulus wrote:
Estimated BAC=0.08 (because it is estimated) is arbitrary. 0.10 and 0.12 were arbitrary. 0.05, when it comes will be arbitrary.

"He should be in jail" - you might want to move to Scandinavia, where several countries have 0.00 driving limits. They also have considerably greater percentages of their populations that 'binge drinks.' Would you like some WHO statistics?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:23 pm

People, if you want to debate drinking and driving and BAC, you should take it to the lounge.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:People, if you want to debate drinking and driving and BAC, you should take it to the lounge.
Can we take this whole thread to the lounge? It seems like it's outlived it's usefulness, so let people go full ham

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”