Two general admissions questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kdrisck

Two general admissions questions

Postby kdrisck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:17 pm

1. The first one may be pretty stupid, but I want to make sure. I am a senior at Boston College. I was originally at another institution, and transferred credits over. Those grades were significantly worse than my current grades. Will I be required to send a transcript from my first university for law school admission? Will those grades have any bearing on my GPA that is sent out to law schools?

2. I am within a obscure college within Boston College (which is really a university). It is typically reserved for professionals and most classes meet at night. It does not have the same admissions process as the regular part of Boston College. Will my GPA be weighted differently than if I was in, for example, the school of management? Or is GPA weighted based on the reputation of the university as a whole? I realize this is an obscure question but it is obviously pretty important to know as I am considering law school.

Thanks in advance.

midwest17

Re: Two general admissions questions

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:22 pm

kdrisck wrote:1. The first one may be pretty stupid, but I want to make sure. I am a senior at Boston College. I was originally at another institution, and transferred credits over. Those grades were significantly worse than my current grades. Will I be required to send a transcript from my first university for law school admission? Will those grades have any bearing on my GPA that is sent out to law schools?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6#p1871019

Short answer: yes. You must send in transcripts from all college-level institutions attended. All grades are combined into a single GPA.

kdrisck wrote:2. I am within a obscure college within Boston College (which is really a university). It is typically reserved for professionals and most classes meet at night. It does not have the same admissions process as the regular part of Boston College. Will my GPA be weighted differently than if I was in, for example, the school of management? Or is GPA weighted based on the reputation of the university as a whole? I realize this is an obscure question but it is obviously pretty important to know as I am considering law school.

Generally accepted wisdom is that schools don't weigh GPAs differently based on undergraduate institution at all (because they only get to report the raw number). Deans of admission at top schools generally claim that they do care, so believe who you want.

To the extent that they do look at your undergraduate institution, they'll use the data on the CAS report. You can check once you've submitted all your transcripts, but I believe it'll compare you to all students who've graduated from BC, not just your subprogram.

bp shinners

Re: Two general admissions questions

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:53 pm

For Boston, for Boston,
We sing our proud refrain!
For Boston, for Boston,
'Tis Wisdom's earthly fane.
For here all are one
And their hearts are true,
And the towers on the Heights
Reach to Heaven so blue.
For Boston, for Boston,
Till the echoes ring again!

1. The first one may be pretty stupid, but I want to make sure. I am a senior at Boston College. I was originally at another institution, and transferred credits over. Those grades were significantly worse than my current grades. Will I be required to send a transcript from my first university for law school admission? Will those grades have any bearing on my GPA that is sent out to law schools?

Yes, you must send them in. Yes, they will have an effect on the GPA sent to law schools.

2. I am within a obscure college within Boston College (which is really a university). It is typically reserved for professionals and most classes meet at night. It does not have the same admissions process as the regular part of Boston College. Will my GPA be weighted differently than if I was in, for example, the school of management? Or is GPA weighted based on the reputation of the university as a whole? I realize this is an obscure question but it is obviously pretty important to know as I am considering law school.

Which school? If you want to send me a PM with that information, feel free - I'm class of 2006, so I know the school pretty well. Short answer, though, is that it probably won't have an effect.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”