Letters of Recommendation from foreign work experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cbiv

Letters of Recommendation from foreign work experience

Postby cbiv » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 am

I am a non-traditional applicant. I have been working overseas for 5 years since graduating from college. I am using professors from college for my academic references but I would like to include a work-related reference as well but my supervisors do not speak English. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have searched on the issue some but can`t find an answer. Would the original language with a professional translation included work? I was thinking of translating it myself and then having them send it but I am very reluctant to do this.

Thank you,
Last edited by cbiv on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Re: Letters of Recommendation from foreign work experience

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:38 pm

cbiv wrote:I am a non-traditional applicant. I have been working overseas for 5 years since graduating from college. I am using professors from college for my academic references but I would like to include a work-related reference as well but my supervisors do not speak English. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have searched on the issue some but can`t find an answer. Would the original language with a professional translation included work? I was thinking of translating it myself and them having them send it but I am very reluctant to do this.

Thank you,

I'm not sure the process for this - though I would imagine the professors should find someone who can translate. However, definitely do not translate yourself. There's no way that ends up working well.

cbiv

Postby cbiv » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 pm

bp shinners wrote:
cbiv wrote:I am a non-traditional applicant. I have been working overseas for 5 years since graduating from college. I am using professors from college for my academic references but I would like to include a work-related reference as well but my supervisors do not speak English. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have searched on the issue some but can`t find an answer. Would the original language with a professional translation included work? I was thinking of translating it myself and them having them send it but I am very reluctant to do this.

Thank you,

I'm not sure the process for this - though I would imagine the professors should find someone who can translate. However, definitely do not translate yourself. There's no way that ends up working well.

Thanks for the input, I think I will find some kind of professional translation.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:30 pm

I was in the same position, so I e-mailed LSAC about this issue. I asked if it was possible to retain the waiver if I had someone else translate the recommendation and send it in with the original, and they said yes. Fortunately, many of my colleagues are professional translators so I had no problem finding a reliable one to do the job. I had my guy sign a translator's statement saying that he received the original directly from the recommender and didn't give me access, just to assure LSAC that I really did not see my own recommendation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”