Cycle after turning down ED acceptance Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
harrysolomon

New

Cycle after turning down ED acceptance

Post by harrysolomon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Last cycle I was accepted to a T14 ED but decided not to go. I was thinking I was going to pass on law school and now I'm regretting it.

When I told the school I wouldn't be attending they basically said "if and When You Decide to Go to Law School, don't apply ED unless you mean it."

So if I ED another school in the T14 this year, is there any chance that this will be held against me? I know people say that T14 deans talk. Should I address this somehow? Maybe email the admissions office to let them know that I'm super serious this time and would deposit immediately upon acceptance? Or write an addendum?

I know that few people probably have experience with this specifically, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. My inclination is just to leave it alone and see what happens (I already sent the ED application to a reach school).

Please don't quote in case I decide to delete, since I'm probably part of a small group of people.

Thanks!

Ramius

Gold

Re: Cycle after turning down ED acceptance

Post by Ramius » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 pm

You won't see demonstrably different results this year because you declined an ED acceptance last year. The truth is, the school thought you were a guaranteed number they could rely on, but you fell through. Don't take offense, and assume they didn't take offense either. Just put together a solid app, reapply and figure out your way from there. You probably won't be in a very different position from where you were last year, but as long as you're willing to accept that, you'll be fine.

harrysolomon

New

Post by harrysolomon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:02 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:You won't see demonstrably different results this year because you declined an ED acceptance last year. The truth is, the school thought you were a guaranteed number they could rely on, but you fell through. Don't take offense, and assume they didn't take offense either. Just put together a solid app, reapply and figure out your way from there. You probably won't be in a very different position from where you were last year, but as long as you're willing to accept that, you'll be fine.
This is what I was hoping for. If I can get a similar acceptance to last year's I'll be thrilled. Thanks for the input.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:06 pm

I vaguely recall a story of someone being told their ED carried over to the next cycle, so you might want to look into that.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 pm

guano wrote:I vaguely recall a story of someone being told their ED carried over to the next cycle, so you might want to look into that.
That's perfectly fair, but to think a place like UVA would say, "You're at our median? You denied us last cycle? Scew you!" is pretty ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harrysolomon

New

Post by harrysolomon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 pm

guano wrote:I vaguely recall a story of someone being told their ED carried over to the next cycle, so you might want to look into that.
The email that they sent me saying that "if and when I apply to law I should not ED unless I'm certain", also said that they were sorry I would not be attending, so I don't think that's an issue.

Also to clarify for the last couple comments, I didn't apply ED to the same school this time around, it was a different one. So my concern isn't really if school A that I applied to last year forgive me, but rather if school B I applied to this year will find out what happened and if they will care. But as I write it out I realize, there's not really any way that anyone could know this, so I'll probably just have to keep my mind off it for a few months and figure out what to do if I'm not accepted.

Based on what everyone is saying, I am feeling even more like I should NOT call or email the admission office of school B to explain what happened and try to convince them that I'm really serious this time (possibly with an offer of immediate seat deposit upon acceptance), so there's not really anything I can do at this point anyway.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:00 am

PLEASE DON'T mention it to your new ED school. Your worried about the deans communicating, which they almost certainly didn't, and then out of worry, conveying the exact same message you'd be worried about them communicating.

harrysolomon

New

Post by harrysolomon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:07 am

Clearly wrote:PLEASE DON'T mention it to your new ED school. Your worried about the deans communicating, which they almost certainly didn't, and then out of worry, conveying the exact same message you'd be worried about them communicating.
lol, yeah, that's basically what I realized I was proposing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”