Resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pancakes12
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 am

Resume

Postby Pancakes12 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 am

I hear some schools, like Chicago, like to see the number of hours committed to each activity on your resume. I've seen many here on TLS say they make separate resumes for schools with special requests like this. My question is, why not just make one resume that fits all special requests like this and use it for all schools? Would Harvard, for example, look down upon you simply giving this info?

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Resume

Postby RELIC » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:07 am

jlb251 wrote:I hear some schools, like Chicago, like to see the number of hours committed to each activity on your resume. I've seen many here on TLS say they make separate resumes for schools with special requests like this. My question is, why not just make one resume that fits all special requests like this and use it for all schools? Would Harvard, for example, look down upon you simply giving this info?

Because no one wants that info and it messes up the format of a normal resume.

It also gives away the fact that you aren't personalizing your application material for each school. An adcomm from a top school may feel slighted by direct evidence that you didn't take the time to tailor your app for their school.

In the end it is all about that LSAT/GPA but why take a chance on making your chances worse all because you are too lazy to tailor your apps?

Pancakes12
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Resume

Postby Pancakes12 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:13 am

I didn't view it as being lazy. I thought maybe they would actually appreciate the info even though they're not specifically asking for it. But I suppose it might be best to play it safe.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2323
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Resume

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:24 am

Have one generic resume that can be used for most schools, and then tweak it a bit for schools with any special requests. Putting hours for all of your jobs/activities like Chicago asks for is easy to incorporate into the generic resume if need be. Even if schools don't ask for hours, it does serve to put your application in context (especially if you're working 20+ hours per week while still taking a full course load) - but the hours still aren't necessary unless a school asks. However, for schools like Yale that prefer a one-page resume, you'll really want to just tweak your existing resume rather than sending a condensed version to every single school... unless you only have a one-page resume to begin with.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Resume

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 am

fkt18 wrote:However, for schools like Yale that prefer a one-page resume, you'll really want to just tweak your existing resume rather than sending a condensed version to every single school... unless you only have a one-page resume to begin with.


My default was going to be to send the condensed version, and then only go over a page for schools like Chicago and Berkeley that specifically ask for more info. Am I thinking about this wrong? If so, what other T14 schools should get the one page version? I assume Northwestern, with their focus on professionalism, would prefer just a page?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Resume

Postby 20141023 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:40 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Resume

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:38 pm

fkt18 wrote:However, for schools like Yale that prefer a one-page resume, you'll really want to just tweak your existing resume rather than sending a condensed version to every single school... unless you only have a one-page resume to begin with.


And you should have only a one page resume to begin with. Even the schools ask for more information, I would try to keep it to one page.

The exception to this is if you been out of school for at least (AT LEAST) five years, preferably closer to 10. In all my years of application consulting, I've only had two resumes that needed to go on a second page - a career military man with a decade of service, and someone who'd spent several years in Africa doing humanitarian work for various organizations.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Resume

Postby midwest17 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:22 pm

bp shinners wrote:
fkt18 wrote:However, for schools like Yale that prefer a one-page resume, you'll really want to just tweak your existing resume rather than sending a condensed version to every single school... unless you only have a one-page resume to begin with.


And you should have only a one page resume to begin with. Even the schools ask for more information, I would try to keep it to one page.

The exception to this is if you been out of school for at least (AT LEAST) five years, preferably closer to 10. In all my years of application consulting, I've only had two resumes that needed to go on a second page - a career military man with a decade of service, and someone who'd spent several years in Africa doing humanitarian work for various organizations.


So, my resume definitely doesn't need to exceed one page. But Dean Tom (Boalt)'s TLS interview says this: "Yes. You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink."

If I'm going over one page, I can include some jobs I worked in school that aren't particularly impressive, but maybe give a little bit of context to my grades. Given that he's saying to "throw in the kitchen sink", is there a reason to stick to the 1-page rule?

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2323
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Resume

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:52 pm

One-page resumes are a must for applying to jobs, but it doesn't hurt to send a longer one for law school apps if you've had a lot of jobs or leadership positions over the years. If you're sticking with a one-page resume though, just send it to every school except Chicago (and put hours on for theirs).

User avatar
Futuregohan14
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Resume

Postby Futuregohan14 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:36 pm

RELIC wrote:
Because no one wants that info and it messes up the format of a normal resume.

It also gives away the fact that you aren't personalizing your application material for each school. An adcomm from a top school may feel slighted by direct evidence that you didn't take the time to tailor your app for their school.

In the end it is all about that LSAT/GPA but why take a chance on making your chances worse all because you are too lazy to tailor your apps?


How big of a chance are you really taking there, though? Adcomms understand that good applicants are applying to many schools. So long as everything requested is there (recs are good, personal statement is good, numbers are good, etc, etc), what exactly are the chances of an adcomm actually giving a "lack of tailoring" in an app any significant weight at all, especially when its only evidenced by something as minor as added hours-per-week in a resume?

I'm not sure, but the odds seem low to me. Why should adcomms take something so trivial so personally, especially given the highly impersonal, cold, and competitive nature of admissions at elite law schools?

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Resume

Postby bp shinners » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:07 am

midwest17 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
fkt18 wrote:However, for schools like Yale that prefer a one-page resume, you'll really want to just tweak your existing resume rather than sending a condensed version to every single school... unless you only have a one-page resume to begin with.


And you should have only a one page resume to begin with. Even the schools ask for more information, I would try to keep it to one page.

The exception to this is if you been out of school for at least (AT LEAST) five years, preferably closer to 10. In all my years of application consulting, I've only had two resumes that needed to go on a second page - a career military man with a decade of service, and someone who'd spent several years in Africa doing humanitarian work for various organizations.


So, my resume definitely doesn't need to exceed one page. But Dean Tom (Boalt)'s TLS interview says this: "Yes. You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink."

If I'm going over one page, I can include some jobs I worked in school that aren't particularly impressive, but maybe give a little bit of context to my grades. Given that he's saying to "throw in the kitchen sink", is there a reason to stick to the 1-page rule?


Boalt is definitely weird with a lot of their application material requests. Even with him saying that, however, I'd still cut it down to one page.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Resume

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:37 am

midwest17 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
fkt18 wrote:However, for schools like Yale that prefer a one-page resume, you'll really want to just tweak your existing resume rather than sending a condensed version to every single school... unless you only have a one-page resume to begin with.


And you should have only a one page resume to begin with. Even the schools ask for more information, I would try to keep it to one page.

The exception to this is if you been out of school for at least (AT LEAST) five years, preferably closer to 10. In all my years of application consulting, I've only had two resumes that needed to go on a second page - a career military man with a decade of service, and someone who'd spent several years in Africa doing humanitarian work for various organizations.


So, my resume definitely doesn't need to exceed one page. But Dean Tom (Boalt)'s TLS interview says this: "Yes. You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink."

If I'm going over one page, I can include some jobs I worked in school that aren't particularly impressive, but maybe give a little bit of context to my grades. Given that he's saying to "throw in the kitchen sink", is there a reason to stick to the 1-page rule?
Exactly how many jobs are we talking here? I have six jobs (with multiple bullet points each), two volunteer positions, and both my UG and law school on mine and it is still one page. A very crowded one page, true, but one readable page.
rinkrat19 wrote:Here's my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs.

Image

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Resume

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
fkt18 wrote:However, for schools like Yale that prefer a one-page resume, you'll really want to just tweak your existing resume rather than sending a condensed version to every single school... unless you only have a one-page resume to begin with.


And you should have only a one page resume to begin with. Even the schools ask for more information, I would try to keep it to one page.

The exception to this is if you been out of school for at least (AT LEAST) five years, preferably closer to 10. In all my years of application consulting, I've only had two resumes that needed to go on a second page - a career military man with a decade of service, and someone who'd spent several years in Africa doing humanitarian work for various organizations.


So, my resume definitely doesn't need to exceed one page. But Dean Tom (Boalt)'s TLS interview says this: "Yes. You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink."

If I'm going over one page, I can include some jobs I worked in school that aren't particularly impressive, but maybe give a little bit of context to my grades. Given that he's saying to "throw in the kitchen sink", is there a reason to stick to the 1-page rule?
Exactly how many jobs are we talking here? I have six jobs (with multiple bullet points each), two volunteer positions, and both my UG and law school on mine and it is still one page. A very crowded one page, true, but one readable page.
rinkrat19 wrote:Here's my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs.


8 jobs, 1 major EC, plus an interests section.

I could definitely fit it on one page, especially since one or two of the jobs could be cut without losing much substance, and I could decrease the spacing. I definitely wouldn't send this version of my resume, as currently written to NU, or to an employer. But especially for a school like Berkeley, with their 4 page personal statements and lots of instances of the Dean saying to err on the side of including more stuff rather than less, I'm wondering what the downside of a slightly over-inclusive, less-cramped resume would be. Am I taking Dean Tom too much at his word?

ETA: on a different note, when adding hours/week for the Chicago version, should those be included as bullet points? Or is there a better way to do that? And for jobs that were variable, is it fine to give a range, or should I actually try to go back and compute an average?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], goldenbear2020, guybourdin, TriSapien and 5 guests