Should I ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Blueberrypie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Should I ED?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm at this point where I really feel I should early decision to my dream school and take the LSaT in Oct. My softs and gpa are really good I think. My lsat well I'm not sure about that...I know I'm not ready. Is it really better or my chances are greater if I apply early. What are the advantages?

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:I'm at this point where I really feel I should early decision to my dream school and take the LSaT in Oct. My softs and gpa are really good I think. My lsat well I'm not sure about that...I know I'm not ready. Is it really better or my chances are greater if I apply early. What are the advantages?

Do you have an LSAT already and you are retaking? What is your GPA? If you get a good enough LSAT score you will not need to ED anywhere. We need more information to adequately help you out.

Blueberrypie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Travis12 wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:I'm at this point where I really feel I should early decision to my dream school and take the LSaT in Oct. My softs and gpa are really good I think. My lsat well I'm not sure about that...I know I'm not ready. Is it really better or my chances are greater if I apply early. What are the advantages?

Do you have an LSAT already and you are retaking? What is your GPA? If you get a good enough LSAT score you will not need to ED anywhere. We need more information to adequately help you out.



Never taken the lsat. Gpa: 3.76 I just know I can do better if I wait to study more for December, although I have a fear of what if I don't do better..maybe I should wing it and take October and Ed... Take my chances

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:
Travis12 wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:I'm at this point where I really feel I should early decision to my dream school and take the LSaT in Oct. My softs and gpa are really good I think. My lsat well I'm not sure about that...I know I'm not ready. Is it really better or my chances are greater if I apply early. What are the advantages?

Do you have an LSAT already and you are retaking? What is your GPA? If you get a good enough LSAT score you will not need to ED anywhere. We need more information to adequately help you out.



Never taken the lsat. Gpa: 3.76 I just know I can do better if I wait to study more for December, although I have a fear of what if I don't do better..maybe I should wing it and take October and Ed... Take my chances


So you have done zero study for the LSAT? Are you graduating at the end of this year?

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Should I ED?

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Schools like Penn, Duke and Cornell now have 2 ED rounds. You can take Dec LSAT and still apply.

Also, UVA and Georgetown don't have a conventional ED program. You can submit almost anytime while their application's open and just ask them to review your app under ED.

Blueberrypie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Travis12 wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:
Travis12 wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:I'm at this point where I really feel I should early decision to my dream school and take the LSaT in Oct. My softs and gpa are really good I think. My lsat well I'm not sure about that...I know I'm not ready. Is it really better or my chances are greater if I apply early. What are the advantages?

Do you have an LSAT already and you are retaking? What is your GPA? If you get a good enough LSAT score you will not need to ED anywhere. We need more information to adequately help you out.



Never taken the lsat. Gpa: 3.76 I just know I can do better if I wait to study more for December, although I have a fear of what if I don't do better..maybe I should wing it and take October and Ed... Take my chances


So you have done zero study for the LSAT? Are you graduating at the end of this year?


I've done quite a bit of studying. It is only now in August did I acquire prep materials that help me. I feel more comfortable with the test, but I am still not at where I need or want to be. For instance I now understand what the LR questions are asking of me but I need to practice to get better.

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:25 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:Schools like Penn, Duke and Cornell now have 2 ED rounds. You can take Dec LSAT and still apply.

Also, UVA and Georgetown don't have a conventional ED program. You can submit almost anytime while their application's open and just ask them to review your app under ED.

This is credited. But with that GPA you should most definitely not settle for anything but a a 170+ on the LSAT. Even if you have to wait until next cycle to apply it would be worth it. Here is what you're looking at if you get between a 170-173
Image

Blueberrypie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Travis12 wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:Schools like Penn, Duke and Cornell now have 2 ED rounds. You can take Dec LSAT and still apply.

Also, UVA and Georgetown don't have a conventional ED program. You can submit almost anytime while their application's open and just ask them to review your app under ED.

This is credited. But with that GPA you should most definitely not settle for anything but a a 170+ on the LSAT. Even if you have to wait until next cycle to apply it would be worth it. Here is what you're looking at if you get between a 170-173

So I should wait and try for the 170+? What are the advantages if I applied lower with a significantly lower score?

Blueberrypie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:35 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:Schools like Penn, Duke and Cornell now have 2 ED rounds. You can take Dec LSAT and still apply.

Also, UVA and Georgetown don't have a conventional ED program. You can submit almost anytime while their application's open and just ask them to review your app under ED.


Thanks! Is there a chance that Colombia is offering that? Lol

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:
Travis12 wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:Schools like Penn, Duke and Cornell now have 2 ED rounds. You can take Dec LSAT and still apply.

Also, UVA and Georgetown don't have a conventional ED program. You can submit almost anytime while their application's open and just ask them to review your app under ED.

This is credited. But with that GPA you should most definitely not settle for anything but a a 170+ on the LSAT. Even if you have to wait until next cycle to apply it would be worth it. Here is what you're looking at if you get between a 170-173

So I should wait and try for the 170+? What are the advantages if I applied lower with a significantly lower score?


I think you should start by doing some research into what you're getting into. The ideal situation is to go to the best ranked school you can with the least amount of debt. ED'ing is a pretty good way to get into a school and graduate with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt. A few months of hard studying can potentially be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Blueberrypie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:52 pm

Travis12 wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:
Travis12 wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:Schools like Penn, Duke and Cornell now have 2 ED rounds. You can take Dec LSAT and still apply.

Also, UVA and Georgetown don't have a conventional ED program. You can submit almost anytime while their application's open and just ask them to review your app under ED.

This is credited. But with that GPA you should most definitely not settle for anything but a a 170+ on the LSAT. Even if you have to wait until next cycle to apply it would be worth it. Here is what you're looking at if you get between a 170-173

So I should wait and try for the 170+? What are the advantages if I applied lower with a significantly lower score?


I think you should start by doing some research into what you're getting into. The ideal situation is to go to the best ranked school you can with the least amount of debt. ED'ing is a pretty good way to get into a school and graduate with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt. A few months of hard studying can potentially be worth tens of thousands of dollars.



Okay I totally understand your first statement. I want to go to the best school. What I'm thinking, which I'm starting to second guess is that ED will give me a better shot of getting into my dream school, which is Columbia. I didn't factor in the debt. I just want my dream school. i know that may sound crazy to you. I just wanted to know if ED is beneficial because I'll have my application in early, not factoring finances.

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:58 pm

The point I am trying to make is if you want Columbia (or any other top school) you need to get the numbers to get you there. There is a slight boost at some schools for ED but at the same time you have to be relatively in their range. For me I would much rather have great numbers, not apply ED, and have options/scholarship negotiating power. If you get a 171 you have a pretty great shot at Columbia

Image

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:03 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:Schools like Penn, Duke and Cornell now have 2 ED rounds. You can take Dec LSAT and still apply.

Also, UVA and Georgetown don't have a conventional ED program. You can submit almost anytime while their application's open and just ask them to review your app under ED.

Anyone know the exact specs of above ED info? Links?

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Should I ED?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:06 pm

OP, don't ED anywhere. Just get as close to a 180 as possible.

Blueberrypie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:18 pm

[quote="Travis12"]The point I am trying to make is if you want Columbia (or any other top school) you need to get the numbers to get you there. There is a slight boost at some schools for ED but at the same time you have to be relatively in their range. For me I would much rather have great numbers, not apply ED, and have options/scholarship negotiating power. If you get a 171 you have a pretty great shot at Columbia



Thanks....your right. I guess I'm just excited and nervous. Ill work on getting the highest score. I did drop two courses I didn't need so I can study more for the lsat.

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Should I ED?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:
Travis12 wrote:The point I am trying to make is if you want Columbia (or any other top school) you need to get the numbers to get you there. There is a slight boost at some schools for ED but at the same time you have to be relatively in their range. For me I would much rather have great numbers, not apply ED, and have options/scholarship negotiating power. If you get a 171 you have a pretty great shot at Columbia



Thanks....your right. I guess I'm just excited and nervous. Ill work on getting the highest score. I did drop two courses I didn't need so I can study more for the lsat.

That's a great idea. I think if you put in a solid 3 months of study you can get to where you want to be and a lot of options will open up for you.

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Should I ED?

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:25 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:Schools like Penn, Duke and Cornell now have 2 ED rounds. You can take Dec LSAT and still apply.

Also, UVA and Georgetown don't have a conventional ED program. You can submit almost anytime while their application's open and just ask them to review your app under ED.

Anyone know the exact specs of above ED info? Links?


Here:
Penn
Duke
Cornell

Georgetown
UVA




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crookedsmile, LewD33, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests