F-1 visa on application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jya300

F-1 visa on application

Postby jya300 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:52 am

Hi!
I'm an international student who went to a U.S. college on F-1 visa.
I graduated so my visa probably isn't valid anymore (though I graduated early, and the original expiration date was in 2014).
I'm staying in my home country after graduation till I go to a law school
but I was wondering what I should put in on my law school applications.
Do I just not select anything on apps cuz I'm currently not in the U.S. on any visa...? Or do I just put in F-1 visa which might be still valid?

I know this probably doesn't really matter anyways,
but just wanted to make sure.
Thank you for your help!

AntipodeanPhil

Re: F-1 visa on application

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm fairly confident that since you are no longer a full-time student at the university you got the F-1 visa to attend, the F-1 visa is no longer valid - even if the expiration date is in the future.

Since it's no longer valid, and you would need to apply for a new visa to attend law school whatever the case, you wouldn't mention it on applications.

ajr

Postby ajr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:56 pm

What is the question? Most likely you will have to mention that you will be applying for an F-1 visa to attend law school.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:09 pm

ajr wrote:What is the question? Most likely you will have to mention that you will be applying for an F-1 visa to attend law school.

The applications ask about your citizenship/residency status. Law schools infer from the fact that an applicant is not a US citizen or permanent resident that he/she needs a visa.

If the applications are the same as they were a couple of years ago, there is a question in the "Citizenship" section titled "visa type." I believe the OP is asking what he/she enters there, and the answer is that since he/she does not have a valid visa, that box should be left empty.

jya300

Postby jya300 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:11 am

That is exactly what I was asking. Thank you!! :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”