Asking for LOR - Any particulars? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigsleep1

New

Asking for LOR - Any particulars?

Post by bigsleep1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:06 am

Hello,

Just wondering if you guys have any advice on what to include in the email when asking a recommender for a LOR.

In other words, should I ask my professors to include certain things about me? Or follow a certain structure? Or should I just leave it up to them?

Any particulars?

Thank you.

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: Asking for LOR - Any particulars?

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:51 am

Do you have to email the professors? If you live reasonably close to your alma mater, you should schedule appointments with them and visit them in person.

Unless you're close to these professors and are certain that they hold you in high regard, be sure to ask them if they feel they can write you strong LORs. Don't just ask for a letter. Provide them as much information about yourself as possible, whether by email or with hard copies of documents. Do as much of the following as you can:

(1) Include outstanding written work you did for them. Give them either the original graded papers or copies containing their grades and comments.
(2) Include a current CV / résumé.
(3) If your PS is in good shape, include a draft.
(4) Communicate in some way what has led you to choose law school and what your areas of interest are -- whether through an in-person chat, your PS draft, a background paragraph or two, or a combination of these.

Bear in mind that, outside of a few schools (Y, S, and B, above all), LORs don't carry much weight in law school admissions. You want them to be positive and as strong as possible, of course, but the only LORs that will be difference-makers at the vast majority of schools are those that paint the applicants in a negative light.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:36 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Do you have to email the professors? If you live reasonably close to your alma mater, you should schedule appointments with them and visit them in person.

Unless you're close to these professors and are certain that they hold you in high regard, be sure to ask them if they feel they can write you strong LORs. Don't just ask for a letter. Provide them as much information about yourself as possible, whether by email or with hard copies of documents. Do as much of the following as you can:

(1) Include outstanding written work you did for them. Give them either the original graded papers or copies containing their grades and comments.
(2) Include a current CV / résumé.
(3) If your PS is in good shape, include a draft.
(4) Communicate in some way what has led you to choose law school and what your areas of interest are -- whether through an in-person chat, your PS draft, a background paragraph or two, or a combination of these.

Bear in mind that, outside of a few schools (Y, S, and B, above all), LORs don't carry much weight in law school admissions. You want them to be positive and as strong as possible, of course, but the only LORs that will be difference-makers at the vast majority of schools are those that paint the applicants in a negative light.
Titcr. Seriously, this whole thing. I would email and ask if you can meet with them, or at least have a phone conversation. It'll go a long way. Otherwise some profs literally will write "X took _____ in spring 2011. They scored a B+ in the class. It was a fairly rigorous course. I recommend them. Signed, _____"

bigsleep1

New

Post by bigsleep1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:15 am

Awesome, thanks for the great advice.

Also a bit interesting, one of my recommenders was my professor in undergrad, but no longer teaches at my school. I suppose its a question to ask LSAC, but any ideas on how I should go about it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”