Top 14 QUESTION

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yellowstick
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am

Top 14 QUESTION

Postby yellowstick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:03 am

Hi,

This is my first time posting, so I apologize if a similar question has already been asked. Anyway, I am going to graduate this year and assuming my GPA stays what it has been it will be a 3.8, possibly a little higher. I go to an IVY league undergrad, Brown/Cornell and I am a history major. My June LSAT score was a 168. Now, I know that a lot of you are going to recommend that I retake it and try to get over a 170, but I am just wondering what you think my chances will be at a top 14 RD if I do not retake it. (For personal reasons it may be difficult for me to take the October or December LSAT). Additionally, I am wondering what you think the best school is that I can get into applying ED.

Thanks for the help.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:05 am

yellowstick wrote:retake it and try to get over a 170

It's always amazing to me that people know what the right answer is but ask a silly question regardless.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 am

Take time off and get a job. Retake the LSAT when you are ready.

yellowstick
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby yellowstick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:39 am

Danger Zone wrote:
yellowstick wrote:retake it and try to get over a 170

It's always amazing to me that people know what the right answer is but ask a silly question regardless.


I took a prep course and never scored over a 168 on PT, so I am actually pretty happy with my score based on that. So, thanks for the help Danger Zone, but I am looking for a different kind of answer.

notalobbyist
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby notalobbyist » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:46 am

Given your stats, Cornell, Georgetown, and Michigan look promising based on the numbers on mylsn.info (I did a 168 with a 3.75-3.85 GPA range)

The data suggests a strong chance at Northwestern, but I wonder if those are people with work experience who self-selected to apply to NW.

<50% Chance at Duke.

Tinker around and look at the profiles of the people who were denied and accepted to see if there's some intervening variable like work experience or something.

Hope this helps.

yellowstick
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby yellowstick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks I appreciate it.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby chuckbass » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:47 am

Lock for Cornell ED.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby heythatslife » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:48 am

yellowstick wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
yellowstick wrote:retake it and try to get over a 170

It's always amazing to me that people know what the right answer is but ask a silly question regardless.


I took a prep course and never scored over a 168 on PT, so I am actually pretty happy with my score based on that. So, thanks for the help Danger Zone, but I am looking for a different kind of answer.


Besides the prep course, how much prepping have you done? I'll be convinced that you maxed out your potential at 168 only if you can tell me you've done every single PT twice over.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:51 am

I think most prep course make you do something in the order of 4 PTs? Yeah, you need a lot more practice than that to reach your potential. Keep studying, take it in October. It can only help you.

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby RELIC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:58 am

Retake or don't go.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2197
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby jingosaur » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Every point from 167 to 172 matters so much. Like you wouldn't believe how much adcoms care about 1 point. Your best option is to retake at all costs, but if you don't take our advice, you will be an excellent candidate for Michigan, Cornell, and Georgetown. At Duke and Northwestern, you'll probably be about 50/50 Accept/Waitlist and depending on your softs, Cal-B might take you.

I personally really hope you don't take this advice because without retaking, you'll be one less person who I'll have to compete against for T14s.

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:46 pm

jingosaur wrote:Every point from 167 to 172 matters so much. Like you wouldn't believe how much adcoms care about 1 point. Your best option is to retake at all costs, but if you don't take our advice, you will be an excellent candidate for Michigan, Cornell, and Georgetown. At Duke and Northwestern, you'll probably be about 50/50 Accept/Waitlist and depending on your softs, Cal-B might take you.

I personally really hope you don't take this advice because without retaking, you'll be one less person who I'll have to compete against for T14s.

Well said.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I think there's something of a consensus that most of the prep courses teach to a goal in the 160s. If you are aiming higher, it's going to take self-study.

yellowstick
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby yellowstick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Well thanks for the advice. I guess that those two extra points are crucial. I'll see what I will be able to do.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:32 pm

yellowstick wrote:Well thanks for the advice. I guess that those two extra points are crucial. I'll see what I will be able to do.

Right. You might be able to get IN to the T14, but what you really want is MONEY. Dat debt is soul crushing, so every little bit helps.

yellowstick
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby yellowstick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:02 pm

So what would a 170 do to my chances?

gaucholaw
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby gaucholaw » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:10 pm

I had similarish numbers, got MVP ED with 60k.... but yes in hindsight a retake would've been GOLD... I'm starting to realize that debt makes law school in and of itself a much more stressful ordeal

sasquatchsam
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby sasquatchsam » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 pm

You should just look at mylsn.info to see how increasing your LSAT to a 170 will increase your chances at t14 schools. Basically it looks like at a 168 you have a decent chance at Berkeley on down. With a 170 you have a chance at Harvard, Columbia, and Chicago (app. 20-40% and perhaps better if you consider waitlist movement). You are pretty much a lock (as much as anyone can be) for any school below that with a great chance at substantial $$$.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:42 pm

gaucholaw wrote:I had similarish numbers, got MVP ED with 60k.... but yes in hindsight a retake would've been GOLD... I'm starting to realize that debt makes law school in and of itself a much more stressful ordeal

That's the one thing everyone at my school can agree on... debt sucks.

yellowstick
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby yellowstick » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:41 am

Hypothetical question. If money was not an issue what do you guys think I would need on my lsat to get ED at Columbia NYU or Penn? Could I swing it with the 168 or would I need to improve it? I can't find any good stats on ED so I'm just wondering from a purely numbers standpoint. Thanks.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby hephaestus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:12 am

yellowstick wrote:Hypothetical question. If money was not an issue what do you guys think I would need on my lsat to get ED at Columbia NYU or Penn? Could I swing it with the 168 or would I need to improve it? I can't find any good stats on ED so I'm just wondering from a purely numbers standpoint. Thanks.

For those schools I think you'd still need a 170.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:39 am

Are you really rich?

yellowstick
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby yellowstick » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 am

Hypothetically

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby BigZuck » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am

Retake. And stop being lazy.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Top 14 QUESTION

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:10 pm

scotth724 wrote:Lock for Cornell ED doesn't exist.

ftfy




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412 and 8 guests