Non-Academic Violations

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cvolz

Non-Academic Violations

Postby Cvolz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:31 am

Just how much do non-academic violations matter? I have a 3.94 GPA and got a 177 on the lsat. However, today I learned that I also have three alcohol violations on my behavioral report. I had previously assumed that they would not be sent to any graduate institutions and would just be harmless little things, but if they follow you around like that are they enough to keep me from getting admission at some places?

hiltopp01

Re: Non-Academic Violations

Postby hiltopp01 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:58 am

Disclose them; they won't affect your cycle. Minor alcohol violations and the like are more common than you think.

Enjoy one or more of HYS.

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:00 am

You're likely fine... so long as they weren't all last year or something. You're definitely in at H, Y/S can never be guaranteed and they are more likely to care about something like this.

Cvolz

Postby Cvolz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:03 am

one freshman year one sophomore one junior...and yeah it was all stupid underage drinking stuff. i figured it was pretty insignificant at the time, but the wording on the c and f page of those apps made me wonder. thanks for the info

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:23 am

Three violations? Geez you're kinda dumb about getting caught. But it's unlikely to hurt you much anyway

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:20 am

I'll take your violations if I can also have that 177. Don't worry about it, write a short addendum, enjoy Harvard.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:01 pm

A recurring history of alcohol problems can be a small factor. You might want to look into doing something proactive to show that you view it as an issue, like taking an alcohol abuse class or something like that. I'm not saying you are abusing alcohol; I'm just saying that it will look better than just saying you keep getting caught for drinking underage in your explanatory addendum.

Cvolz

Postby Cvolz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:52 pm

hahaha yeah one of the things res life had me do as punishment was take an alcohol edu class...prolly doesnt really matter since it was forced though. honestly i feel a lot safer about it after hearing what everyone has to say. hearing that it isnt automatically viewed as a big red X on an app by admissions committees is comforting

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”