you can find me at www.top-law-schools.com! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Re: Should I focus more on softs?

Post by longlivetheking » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:56 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:I completely disagree with most of these people on this board. Just because they do not have softs in their own right, doesn't mean softs don't matter. I feel softs can be HUGE in the admissions process, as evidenced by those people with incredible GPAs and LSATs who still don't get in.
a few cases of 'those people' =/= (softs = huge).

admin says 'primarily a numbers game'. everyone can have differing views on how heavy softs are weighted by to disagree with that?

apps/lsat takers numbers are down by ALOT. HCCN + some of the lower T14s will need those numbers and softs WILL have a lower weightage as a result.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Regulus wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:I completely disagree with most of these people on this board. Just because they do not have softs in their own right, doesn't mean softs don't matter. I feel softs can be HUGE in the admissions process, as evidenced by those people with incredible GPAs and LSATs who still don't get in.
Meh... I think that my softs are what carried my reverse-splitter ass into a lot of the T14, but the thing is that there is really no way to know what kind of softs will have what sort of effect on one's cycle. If a "soft" is something simple that you decide to do because you think it will "look good" on your resume, chances are that most adcomms won't consider it a valuable soft. Most of the softs that impress people aren't the kind of stuff that you can just randomly start doing on a whim and without much effort. :|
Amen +1

notalobbyist

Bronze

Post by notalobbyist » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Regulus wrote:
Meh... I think that my softs are what carried my reverse-splitter ass into a lot of the T14, but the thing is that there is really no way to know what kind of softs will have what sort of effect on one's cycle. If a "soft" is something simple that you decide to do because you think it will "look good" on your resume, chances are that most adcomms won't consider it a valuable soft. Most of the softs that impress people aren't the kind of stuff that you can just randomly start doing on a whim and without much effort. :|
If you don't mind me asking, what were those softs?

I know everyone likes to say the only ones that matter are things like Olympic medals, but I'm wondering if everyone thinks softs just mean silly things like clubs and honors societies and overlooks other interesting things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:53 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 am

Regulus wrote:I also tied my softs and relevant WE into my PS; this, I believe, is key when the softs aren't things like Olympic medals or Nobel prizes.
I think this is a big part of how softs can add value to an application. If they're part of a compelling narrative you can present through your PS (and/or other statements) and resume, then they help - they help adcomms get to know you as a person and see how these different elements of your life come together to make you a strong candidate. If they're just a checklist of stuff, then they don't really add much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”