GPA/College split addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Magical Trevor

GPA/College split addendum

Postby Magical Trevor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 pm

So, I started college 13 years ago and dropped out after 3 years with a relatively low 3.1 GPA because I hated my major but didn't quit until I got a small tumor which kind of spurred me to a "life is short" epiphany. I then joined the Army, changed majors, and started taking classes again last year with a 4.0 GPA.

I say no addendum as I was basically a dumb kid, a few other people said yes. Thoughts?

Davidbentley

Re: GPA/College split addendum

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 pm

The efficacy is questionable regardless, but assuming you continue your improved performance, this is a case where an addendum tied into a broad life experience narrative might have some potency. Couldn't hurt.

clee33

Postby clee33 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 am

Absolutely write it. This is your opportunity to shape your narrative. If you just convince one adcom to give you an additional look where they otherwise wouldn't have, it's well worth the relatively insignificant amount of time it takes to write a ~200 word essay.

And while you may have had no "excuse" back then, from what you have written it sounds like an undeniable fact that circumstances in your life have caused you to mature and appear to now have the acumen to achieve in law school.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:07 pm

clee33 wrote:And while you may have had no "excuse" back then, from what you have written it sounds like an undeniable fact that circumstances in your life have caused you to mature and appear to now have the acumen to achieve in law school.

Yep. Make that the focus and it should be a good essay.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”