Should I put paralegal community college class in my resume?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mister logical

Should I put paralegal community college class in my resume?

Postby mister logical » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:50 pm

I graduated from a 4 year college with good grades in 2012, and then after graduating, I wanted to work as a paralegal, so I enrolled in a community college's paralegal program near me (it is an ABA-approved program.) I would like to know whether I can/should talk about this in my personal statement/resume for law school as it led me to my current job as a paralegal and increased my knowledge about law in general.

thank you so much for any help!

bp shinners

Re: Should I put paralegal community college class in my resume?

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:28 pm

mister logical wrote:I graduated from a 4 year college with good grades in 2012, and then after graduating, I wanted to work as a paralegal, so I enrolled in a community college's paralegal program near me (it is an ABA-approved program.) I would like to know whether I can/should talk about this in my personal statement/resume for law school as it led me to my current job as a paralegal and increased my knowledge about law in general.

I would not bring it up on my resume or talk about it my personal statement. You have to submit the transcript, and that's really the entirety of how it should factor into your application.

mister logical

Postby mister logical » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:43 pm

bp shinners wrote:
mister logical wrote:I graduated from a 4 year college with good grades in 2012, and then after graduating, I wanted to work as a paralegal, so I enrolled in a community college's paralegal program near me (it is an ABA-approved program.) I would like to know whether I can/should talk about this in my personal statement/resume for law school as it led me to my current job as a paralegal and increased my knowledge about law in general.

I would not bring it up on my resume or talk about it my personal statement. You have to submit the transcript, and that's really the entirety of how it should factor into your application.

great, thanks.

one question: if there is a transcript, shouldn't I put it on the resume under the education section though?

I'm also not there to complete the program, I'm just taking a few courses that I want to take.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Nobody is going to be impressed you took a class about paralegaling.

mister logical

Postby mister logical » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Nobody is going to be impressed you took a class about paralegaling.

It wasn't out of a desire to impress. I asked this question because I was wondering whether I needed to fully disclose all my academic pursuits, or whether I could just not mention that I had taken classes. I'd prefer if I didn't have to.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:00 pm

mister logical wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Nobody is going to be impressed you took a class about paralegaling.

It wasn't out of a desire to impress. I asked this question because I was wondering whether I needed to fully disclose all my academic pursuits, or whether I could just not mention that I had taken classes. I'd prefer if I didn't have to.

Resume's are disclosures, they are tailored to make you look good. You can leave anything off your resume.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”