NOISE VIOLATION warn, not on my record

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notdatsh0rt

NOISE VIOLATION warn, not on my record

Postby notdatsh0rt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:58 am

Had a noise violation, chose to disclose it for those schools that ask about "warnings"... Basically and RA came by and asked us to turn the music/voices down

EDIT addendum dramatically shortened. Issue resolved.
Last edited by notdatsh0rt on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

jselson

Re: NOISE VIOLATION on my record... should I disclose?

Postby jselson » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 am

I doubt you'd need to disclose this, and I don't have any clue why this would show up on your academic record, but what's the specific wording of the academic disclosure question on your apps?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:04 am

I have a similar silly incident from college that I wasn't sure whether or not to disclose. I think it's going to really depend on the wording of the question. Most of the apps ask something like, "Have you ever been subject to formal disciplinary action..."
In that case, I would say don't disclose. You basically got an informal "Hey, turn that shit down."

A few of the apps, however, ask if you've ever received a warning. In that case, I would disclose. Disclosing this obviously will not hurt you in the slightest. No one is going to care that you were listening to some loud music a few years ago.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:11 am

It will almost certainly not hurt you at the app stage but might be awkward to explain your nondisclosure at bar admission stage. I would disclose.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:39 am

Wouldn't hurt to disclose but make it two sentences. No one is going to care about a dorm noise violation.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 am

Samara wrote:Wouldn't hurt to disclose but make it two sentences. No one is going to care about a dorm noise violation.

Yeah this.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am

This won't hurt you at all. Disclosure I think depends on how everything is worded for each school. I've noticed the subtle differences actually are pretty big-- for criminal some only want pending charges or convictions; some want everything including expungements; for academic some only want what is currently on the record.

stickershocked

Postby stickershocked » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:57 am

wtrcoins3 wrote:This won't hurt you at all. Disclosure I think depends on how everything is worded for each school. I've noticed the subtle differences actually are pretty big-- for criminal some only want pending charges or convictions; some want everything including expungements; for academic some only want what is currently on the record.

This. It's a good idea to look through your student handbook / make a quick call to the dean's office at your school to determine what is and is not on your record. Some schools will remove any minor disciplinary infractions from your record up to a certain point (i.e., all records up to and including "disciplinary probation"). It would be unnecessary and kind of awkward IMO to disclose things that aren't even on your record.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:58 am

Disclose it, but not in that obscenely long addendum.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”