supersplitter: apply 'later' for a slight boost in gpa?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
willmendel

supersplitter: apply 'later' for a slight boost in gpa?

Postby willmendel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:08 pm

first, i should apologize if it seems like this topic has been covered. I have read all of the conventional wisdom that says that you should apply later IF you can raise your gpa, but I wonder how much this applies to super splitters who are otherwise ready to apply the first day AND when the gpa boost is pretty marginal?

so I'm currently sitting at a 2.79/173 and gunning for a top 14, really hoping to punch above my weight due to the decline in applications, so I'm not really wondering how this affects schools like georgetown or Northwestern (which I feel like I have at least some shot at regardless of when I apply, within reason). I'm mostly wondering about schools where I have very small chances at, like real reach schools in the mid t-14.

I am trying to petition for a medical retroactive withdrawal from a class from UG, but the paperwork has been dragging on for months now but just got approved but won't be reflected on my official transcript until the fall quarter starts at the end of september. It will take me from a 2.79 to a 2.83.

The question is, does the wisdom of "apply when your GPA is the highest" hold when you're talking about such a small increase, and when you're so far below any school's 25th% either way? Obviously, there are some cases where it would really, help, like getting above a 3.0 or to a schools 25%, or anytime you're above the schools 25%, etc.

Also, as a splitter, I assume there's at least some psychological advantage to applying on the very first day. Is it worth losing this edge, if it's even there?

Thanks!

Clearly

Re: supersplitter: apply 'later' for a slight boost in gpa?

Postby Clearly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:11 pm

You'll likely be WL->Admit either way from NU, everything else is a huge stretch.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:14 pm

That's such a small movement that I don't think you have to wait. Are you considering ED UVA? You're a bit below their GPA floor but who knows with the drop in applicants.

willmendel

Postby willmendel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Yeah, I'm considering it (ed uva). I'm still not 100% set on my app strategy yet, but I'm trying to get a sense here of two things: how much it might hurt me to apply a month late as a splitter, and how much a small gpa movement is worth when you're so, so far below most schools floors and 25ths.

I'm getting that the earlier app is worth more?

thanks!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:32 pm

willmendel wrote:Yeah, I'm considering it (ed uva). I'm still not 100% set on my app strategy yet, but I'm trying to get a sense here of two things: how much it might hurt me to apply a month late as a splitter, and how much a small gpa movement is worth when you're so, so far below most schools floors and 25ths.

I'm getting that the earlier app is worth more?

thanks!

Personally, I'd go with the GPA boost over applying a month earlier. Much later than that, I'd go the other way, IE November, I'd say forget it and apply next week. But if we're talking a month, it won't make a difference. For that matter, that gpa bump won't make a difference either, but at least that's a quantifiable change.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 am

I had similar numbers.

To get into any T14, you're almost certainly going to have to go WL->A, so applying super early isn't crucial. But on the other hand a jump from 2.79 to 2.83 isn't going to make the difference so waiting is not crucial either. You're debating a minor issue at most. You should just apply as soon as you've got your materials in perfect shape; simple as that.

Consider GULC part-time, by the way.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:58 pm

What about going outside of T14 with scholarship money and transferring in?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 pm

JJ123 wrote:What about going outside of T14 with scholarship money and transferring in?

I think there is too much risk in going to a law school while counting on transferring to another one. Who's to guarantee that you will perform in the top 5%, 10%, etc.?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:39 pm

heythatslife wrote:
JJ123 wrote:What about going outside of T14 with scholarship money and transferring in?

I think there is too much risk in going to a law school while counting on transferring to another one. Who's to guarantee that you will perform in the top 5%, 10%, etc.?

Yes. Most people that try to do this do not pull it off, for obvious reasons.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”