Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ballsoharduniversity
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm set to graduate a semester early this December. I'm studying abroad for my final semester so I'm taking only 3 classes, one of which is the only requirement I need to graduate and the other two being joke classes. There is no reason I shouldn't get A's in these classes (our abroad classes are notorious for being easy), and if I do get straight A's, I will have a final GPA of 3.34. I know it's not that great, but I didn't feel it was necessary for me to graduate on time next spring when I will be done with my major requirements a semester early. I go to school in NYC so the cost of tuition, plus rent, etc. would not be ideal for my parents, though they have said they would be open to letting me graduate on time and paying for tuition for one more semester.

I've been doing some GPA calculations and realized that if I were to graduate on time and just take a minimum of 12 credits worth of joke classes when I get back from being abroad and get A's, I could boost my GPA up from a 3.34 to a 3.4. It sounds so tempting to just graduate on time with all my friends, be with my sorority sisters, and boost my GPA with easy classes, but I can get a 3.4 ONLY IF I get straight A's while I'm abroad in Sydney and in NYC for spring semester. However, if I get one A-, I will fall short at 3.39. The classes that I would take in the spring would be Piano, African Dance, etc. (elective classes), which are notorious for being easy A's at my school, but what if by some chance I get an A-?

Another issue is if I were to go back to NYC to graduate on time, I would have to register for classes in November, but I won't know my final grades for my classes in Sydney until the end of December to see if it's worth going back to NYC or not.

I've been studying for the LSAT for the last 5 months and am continuing to do so for the February test. My study plan won't be affected for the February test since spring semester at my school doesn't start until the last week of January which is essentially syllabus week. I just have no idea what to do and if it would be worth going back to NYC for one more semester of school/graduating on time to boost my GPA to complement my LSAT score. Anybody have any advice?

User avatar
HuskyHopeful
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

Postby HuskyHopeful » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Graduate on time? The difference between a 3.9 and a 3.41 is nothing and not worth wasting 6 months of your life. LSAT > GPA

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

Postby Clearly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:02 pm

The thing is, you should only use the Feb test to apply for the next cycle anyway. IE this Feb, then wait till sept '14 and apply early. So its not like you'll be delaying your plans by staying an extra semester or year in undergrad. As long as the costs are reasonable, I'd say boost GPA.

ballsoharduniversity
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Oh definitely, I'm not applying this cycle. I'm applying during the next cycle (2014-2015), that's why I'm taking the Feb test, and maybe the June test if need be. I'm not actually even delaying my studies, I'm just deciding between graduating early or just graduating on time with everyone else in May 2014.

ballsoharduniversity
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Will schools care that I'm taking joke classes to boost my GPA? I've heard they don't care but if anyone could confirm this for me, that would be great.

clee33
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

Postby clee33 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:27 pm

ballsoharduniversity wrote:Will schools care that I'm taking joke classes to boost my GPA? I've heard they don't care but if anyone could confirm this for me, that would be great.


Nope, take whatever you want. It would be nice if they were in your major though so you could use it as part of an "upward trend" GPA addendum if you plan on writing one. But you can do that either way though I guess.

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:32 pm

clee33 wrote:
ballsoharduniversity wrote:Will schools care that I'm taking joke classes to boost my GPA? I've heard they don't care but if anyone could confirm this for me, that would be great.


Nope, take whatever you want. It would be nice if they were in your major though so you could use it as part of an "upward trend" GPA addendum if you plan on writing one. But you can do that either way though I guess.


HYS are the only ones that would care (well maybe Berkeley too), but since you don't have a chance of getting in there with that GPA, it doesn't matter

ballsoharduniversity
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: Graduate early or on time to boost GPA? Need advice

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:48 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
clee33 wrote:
ballsoharduniversity wrote:Will schools care that I'm taking joke classes to boost my GPA? I've heard they don't care but if anyone could confirm this for me, that would be great.


Nope, take whatever you want. It would be nice if they were in your major though so you could use it as part of an "upward trend" GPA addendum if you plan on writing one. But you can do that either way though I guess.


HYS are the only ones that would care (well maybe Berkeley too), but since you don't have a chance of getting in there with that GPA, it doesn't matter


Yeah, I'm not looking at HYS or Berkeley at all so that's fine, haha. Thanks for the help guys!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests