you can find me at www.top-law-schools.com! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xylocarp

Platinum

Resume Question

Post by xylocarp » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Quick question about resumes: is it a negative (or maybe a positive? one can hope...) to have a "designed" resume? I have an extensive background in graphic design, and in that field it's a huge faux pas to have a "typical" resume, so my go-to has always been a designed one. It's nothing too crazy; it looks like this (sorry, can't post images yet). I'm asking for law school admissions as well as pre-law school legal internships.

For the record, I have no problems creating a traditional resume; I was just wondering if it would make any difference at all.

Thanks!
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Silver

Re: Resume Question

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Personally, I would stick to the traditional format because when you get to law school, they will probably tell you to ditch the artsy look. But I think it looks really cool tho :)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:04 pm

I think you will get told to stick with the traditional format. I don't think it matters at all for law school admissions (I applied with an academic cv, not a business resume), but for legal employment that might be a bit too outside the box. (Will it make enough of a difference to matter? I don't know - people here tend to err very much on the side of caution, as if their audience is the most conservative hiring partner in the world at the most conservative firm in the world.) It probably falls into that category of "the people who won't care won't be offended by the traditional choice, but those who do care may be offended by the untraditional choice."

It does look way nicer than the traditional resume, though.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks for the responses! They pretty much confirmed what I suspected. I'll get working on a conservative version.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Maybe this is the K-JD in me coming out, but I fucking love your resume. Even if you can't use it for legal hiring, it still looks way cooler than mine, and I'm jelly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:25 am

xylocarp wrote:Quick question about resumes: is it a negative (or maybe a positive? one can hope...) to have a "designed" resume? I have an extensive background in graphic design, and in that field it's a huge faux pas to have a "typical" resume, so my go-to has always been a designed one. It's nothing too crazy; it looks like this (sorry, can't post images yet). I'm asking for law school admissions as well as pre-law school legal internships.

For the record, I have no problems creating a traditional resume; I was just wondering if it would make any difference at all.

Thanks!
My initial reaction was "WTF?"
While it looks cool, that's probably not the kind of first reaction you'd want

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:51 am

wiz wrote:Maybe this is the K-JD in me coming out, but I fucking love your resume. Even if you can't use it for legal hiring, it still looks way cooler than mine, and I'm jelly.
agreed.

xylocarp

Platinum

you can find me at www.top-law-schools.com!

Post by xylocarp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:50 pm

you can find me at www.top-law-schools.com!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”