Resume Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xylocarp

Resume Question

Postby xylocarp » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Quick question about resumes: is it a negative (or maybe a positive? one can hope...) to have a "designed" resume? I have an extensive background in graphic design, and in that field it's a huge faux pas to have a "typical" resume, so my go-to has always been a designed one. It's nothing too crazy; it looks like this (sorry, can't post images yet). I'm asking for law school admissions as well as pre-law school legal internships.

For the record, I have no problems creating a traditional resume; I was just wondering if it would make any difference at all.

Thanks!

mandyjay11

Re: Resume Question

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Personally, I would stick to the traditional format because when you get to law school, they will probably tell you to ditch the artsy look. But I think it looks really cool tho :)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:04 pm

I think you will get told to stick with the traditional format. I don't think it matters at all for law school admissions (I applied with an academic cv, not a business resume), but for legal employment that might be a bit too outside the box. (Will it make enough of a difference to matter? I don't know - people here tend to err very much on the side of caution, as if their audience is the most conservative hiring partner in the world at the most conservative firm in the world.) It probably falls into that category of "the people who won't care won't be offended by the traditional choice, but those who do care may be offended by the untraditional choice."

It does look way nicer than the traditional resume, though.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks for the responses! They pretty much confirmed what I suspected. I'll get working on a conservative version.

wiz

Postby wiz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Maybe this is the K-JD in me coming out, but I fucking love your resume. Even if you can't use it for legal hiring, it still looks way cooler than mine, and I'm jelly.

guano

Postby guano » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:25 am

xylocarp wrote:Quick question about resumes: is it a negative (or maybe a positive? one can hope...) to have a "designed" resume? I have an extensive background in graphic design, and in that field it's a huge faux pas to have a "typical" resume, so my go-to has always been a designed one. It's nothing too crazy; it looks like this (sorry, can't post images yet). I'm asking for law school admissions as well as pre-law school legal internships.

For the record, I have no problems creating a traditional resume; I was just wondering if it would make any difference at all.

Thanks!

My initial reaction was "WTF?"
While it looks cool, that's probably not the kind of first reaction you'd want

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:51 am

wiz wrote:Maybe this is the K-JD in me coming out, but I fucking love your resume. Even if you can't use it for legal hiring, it still looks way cooler than mine, and I'm jelly.

agreed.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:50 pm

guano wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Quick question about resumes: is it a negative (or maybe a positive? one can hope...) to have a "designed" resume? I have an extensive background in graphic design, and in that field it's a huge faux pas to have a "typical" resume, so my go-to has always been a designed one. It's nothing too crazy; it looks like this (sorry, can't post images yet). I'm asking for law school admissions as well as pre-law school legal internships.

Thanks!

My initial reaction was "WTF?"
While it looks cool, that's probably not the kind of first reaction you'd want

Haha agreed, definitely wouldn't want that. Since all of the employers I've given it to have been looking for designers, I wasn't sure what the reaction would be from others. Thanks for the honesty!

And I'm glad others like it :lol: The weird résumé is an unofficial requirement for design jobs, so we tend to have stuff like this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”