Binding ED if looking at other careers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GlazedandConfused

Binding ED if looking at other careers?

Postby GlazedandConfused » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:24 pm

So I was looking for an answer to my question throughout the web and this forum but couldn't really find it. I was wondering, if I apply ED Binding to a law school (only apply to that law school, none other) do I necessarily HAVE to go there if accepted?

For example, say I am applying/recruiting for a prestigious full-time position. Because the interviews for the full-time job are after the Binding ED deadline, can I apply ED to the law school of my choice, and then if I get offered the full-time job, accept that job and decide not to go to law school at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ramius

Re: Binding ED if looking at other careers?

Postby Ramius » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:28 pm

You are not bound to attend with an ED to a school if you decide to pursue other paths. You are bound to attend that law school if you want to attend law school that cycle though. So you can't apply ED, get accepted, withdraw and continue applying elsewhere for law school.

An ED isn't equal to selling your soul.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Keep in mind that if you do this, your chances of getting into that school again during a future cycle drop tremendously.

GlazedandConfused

Postby GlazedandConfused » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks for the responses. I understand that the school will probably not accept me again. That would clearly factor into my decision on whether or not to take the full-time job.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:19 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Keep in mind that if you do this, your chances of getting into that school again during a future cycle drop tremendously.

I think it would depend on the reason for withdrawing. I have no basis in fact on this, but I think with a well-reasoned addenda or explanation somewhere else in the application as to why you chose not to attend when admitted ED, you would be saved from some admissions blacklist.

It would also depend what your numbers are. I think it'd be foolish to think a school wouldn't admit you the second time around if you have numbers they are looking to achieve and a reason beyond, "I never realized how bad your school sucks when I applied ED the first time. Wanted a shot with someone better this time around."

Law schools aren't high school spurned lovers.

GlazedandConfused

Postby GlazedandConfused » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Right, I have a 3.88 and a 167 and live in Texas/went to UT for undergrad, so my binding ED was to app there. But, I am applying for consulting jobs (MBB/Booz/Oliver/Deloitte), so depending on how that goes, I may decide not to go to law school.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:48 pm

GlazedandConfused wrote:Right, I have a 3.88 and a 167 and live in Texas/went to UT for undergrad, so my binding ED was to app there. But, I am applying for consulting jobs (MBB/Booz/Oliver/Deloitte), so depending on how that goes, I may decide not to go to law school.

Gaaaaah! Why did you ED with those numbers? Did you get any scholarship money?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Keep in mind that schools may require a deposit within a few days of acceptance (i.e. Cornell requires a $900 deposit within 5 days for ED admits).

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:03 pm

See if you can withdraw before they make a decision, and ED to UVA instead. Though you should be retaking. : x

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Texas resident here, I was pretty much auto-accepted this cycle (last cycle?) with the same LSAT and a 3.75. Definitely don't apply binding ED to UT or if you already have then withdraw. Also, retake.

GlazedandConfused

Postby GlazedandConfused » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:13 am

Thanks for the comments, yeah I haven't ED'd yet, pondering it. Also, to those that are saying retake, I'm rethinking even going to law school, so I'd rather not retake seeing as how I'm not even totally committed. Based off the past few years, I foresee less than favorable trends in the near future, and I'd rather spend the 3 years I would in law school progressing my career in consulting or some other field.

That being said, law school is still a contingency plan! If all else fails, I can still stay in school lol

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:02 am

GlazedandConfused wrote:Thanks for the comments, yeah I haven't ED'd yet, pondering it. Also, to those that are saying retake, I'm rethinking even going to law school, so I'd rather not retake seeing as how I'm not even totally committed. Based off the past few years, I foresee less than favorable trends in the near future, and I'd rather spend the 3 years I would in law school progressing my career in consulting or some other field.

That being said, law school is still a contingency plan! If all else fails, I can still stay in school lol

Not a good way of looking at it IMO. Just don't go to law school, especially if you have a good/decent job lined up already

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”