Addressing an "In Progress" Grade for Honors Thesis

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
leapingnarwhal

Addressing an "In Progress" Grade for Honors Thesis

Postby leapingnarwhal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm

During my senior year (2010- 2011) I was enrolled to complete an honors thesis in anthropology. I was a declared double major and had already completed the requirements for a BA in political science in the spring of 2011. Unfortunately, early in the year, my father took to alcoholism after my grandmother passed away, and he had difficulty taking care of our family business which was on the verge of bankruptcy. I lived close to home, so during that year I commuted home to take care of the business and my family. I was able to pass my other classes that year (with A's), but I was never able to complete my honors thesis. I was extremely embarrassed by the situation and stopped communicating with my advisers. I even put off filing for graduation because I hoped I could finish the thesis in my free time; that never happened. I finally filed for graduation (major: political science; minor:anthropology) a year and half later, in fall 2012 (I was originally set to graduate in Spring 2011), and was awarded an "In Progress" for the two semesters of my honors thesis.

During that year and half, I was able to recover my dad's business and left it back in my dad's hands last summer (he quit drinking after doctor's told him he'd die from liver failure if he didn't stop). This past year, I have worked on a presidential campaign and now work for a local city councilmember.

I want to apply this cycle to T-14 schools. I'm going to be taking the LSAT in October. My GPA is a 3.63. I don't know how to address the discrepancy of the "In Progress" I described above in my applications. Should I write it into an addendum? Use the topic as my Personal Statement? As you might imagine, the incident also soured my relationships with some of the professors I was closer with, so I'm afraid my Letters of Recommendation are going to have to come from others professors I haven't spoken to for several years and didn't have as strong of relationship with.

I very, very much appreciate advice.

ArtistOfManliness

Re: Addressing an "In Progress" Grade for Honors Thesis

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:47 pm

You can't just finish the thesis and get a grade?
And the professors don't like the backstory?

leapingnarwhal

Postby leapingnarwhal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 pm

No, I can't complete it at this point. I figured it was best to continue with my professional career. With the amount of time I took off to take care of my dad's business, I felt I had dug myself into a deep enough hole.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:17 pm

I don't have any advice, but you certainly have an interesting story. Your personal statement will be a really enjoyable read ^_^.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 am

Is that grade still an "in progress?" At many unis, after X amount of time has passed, the grade would have been converted to, (for example, at my uni), an F. If you haven't already double checked this, you may want to get an unofficial copy of your transcript and make sure of what's on there.

leapingnarwhal

Postby leapingnarwhal » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:34 pm

It's definitely an in progress on my transcript. I've checked.

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Just write an addendum for the IPs - don't worry about addressing it in your personal statement. And as long as your transcript says "In Progress" rather than "Incomplete" it shouldn't affect your LSAC GPA.

leapingnarwhal

Postby leapingnarwhal » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:56 pm

fkt18 wrote:Just write an addendum for the IPs - don't worry about addressing it in your personal statement. And as long as your transcript says "In Progress" rather than "Incomplete" it shouldn't affect your LSAC GPA.

Thanks!

rockclimber2013

Postby rockclimber2013 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:08 pm

PMing you - I had basically the exact same situation, minus the compelling reason for not finishing the thesis, and got into all of HYS. It's not nearly as big a deal as you think it is.

carloney

Postby carloney » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:09 am

PMing you - I had basically the exact same situation, minus the compelling reason for not finishing the thesis, and got into all of HYS. It's not nearly as big a deal as you think it is.

Could I get your info on this as well. I am in a similar "in progress" situation as a result of a debacle from studying abroad in Brazil. Professor strike/the registrar there putting me in the wrong classes....

Interested to hear
thanks

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”