3.35/170. Should I ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

ED?

Columbia
10%
Chicago
No votes
NYU
20%
Penn
25%
Don't ED
45%

Total votes: 20

hayman

3.35/170. Should I ED?

Postby hayman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Thanks
Last edited by hayman on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Re: 3.35/170. Should I ED?

Postby hephaestus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:31 pm

I would wait to see how medians were affected. But I probably wouldn't. A 170 is increasingly becoming a rare asset. I'd rather take a lower T14 with a half ride or similar than a T6 at sticker.

hayman

Postby hayman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:14 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I would wait to see how medians were affected. But I probably wouldn't. A 170 is increasingly becoming a rare asset. I'd rather take a lower T14 with a half ride or similar than a T6 at sticker.

Are there people with my stats that are getting money from lower t14s? I thought for sure that I would be paying sticker.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:04 pm

hayman wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:I would wait to see how medians were affected. But I probably wouldn't. A 170 is increasingly becoming a rare asset. I'd rather take a lower T14 with a half ride or similar than a T6 at sticker.

Are there people with my stats that are getting money from lower t14s? I thought for sure that I would be paying sticker.

Check Law School Numbers. But for what it's worth, Cornell offered me a scholarship (about a third of tuition) with very similar numbers (169/3.4)...in the 2007-08 cycle. (Texas and Vanderbilt offered the same scholarship.) These numbers produce much better returns on scholarships now, though the financial argument has also shifted heavily negative too.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:56 am

Chances at CCN with your numbers are pretty slim. If you aren't worried about paying sticker price, though, then I guess there's little to lose from trying.

Have you considered Northwestern ED? With your numbers, it's not a sure thing but they love people with signficant work experience and their ED comes with full tuition scholarship.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:03 am

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:14 am

heythatslife wrote:Chances at CCN with your numbers are pretty slim. If you aren't worried about paying sticker price, though, then I guess there's little to lose from trying.

Have you considered Northwestern ED? With your numbers, it's not a sure thing but they love people with signficant work experience and their ED comes with full tuition scholarship.

Nu ed isn't for splitters...

hayman

Postby hayman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If I were to ED, which one would be the most effective? I'm not sure that I will wait until all the medians are in before submitting.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:06 pm

hayman wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone. If I were to ED, which one would be the most effective? I'm not sure that I will wait until all the medians are in before submitting.

Most effective in terms of what? If you're simply analyzing effectiveness by whether you're going to get in, you're not understanding several posts in this thread.

What employment outcome do you want? (Best is not an answer.) Will you be debt-financing? How much? How do you feel about debt? What do you know about having debt? Where do you want to work? What do you want out of your legal career?

hayman

Postby hayman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:02 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
hayman wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone. If I were to ED, which one would be the most effective? I'm not sure that I will wait until all the medians are in before submitting.

Most effective in terms of what? If you're simply analyzing effectiveness by whether you're going to get in, you're not understanding several posts in this thread.

What employment outcome do you want? (Best is not an answer.) Will you be debt-financing? How much? How do you feel about debt? What do you know about having debt? Where do you want to work? What do you want out of your legal career?

Yes, I meant most effective as in which one of CCN is my best chance at admission.

As for what career I want.. That is a much trickier question. I would like to be at a school that gives me a good shot at a large firm doing transactional work. But I also realize that I'll have a better idea once I'm in ls.

As far as scholarships at lower t14 goes, I'm not seeing much data for people with my stats. I get that you've landed a decent scholarship, but you also seem to be an exception.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:35 pm

hayman wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:

Yes, I meant most effective as in which one of CCN is my best chance at admission.

As for what career I want.. That is a much trickier question. I would like to be at a school that gives me a good shot at a large firm doing transactional work. But I also realize that I'll have a better idea once I'm in ls.

As far as scholarships at lower t14 goes, I'm not seeing much data for people with my stats. I get that you've landed a decent scholarship, but you also seem to be an exception.

NYU is theoretically your best chance. I would hold off on EDing and see if you can snag a lower T-14 acceptance early in the cycle. Then, if you are not happy by the time January rolls around, ED Penn or UVA in the second round.

I agree that large scholarships are unlikely with your stats.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”