C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nova

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby Nova » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:44 pm

If I don't get a legal job, they should hire me to game the fuck out of their medians.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
UVAIce wrote:Also, Minnesota was pretty open about the fact that the school could not sustain the school with small class sizes such as the class of 2015. They openly stated they were dropping the quality of the student body to fill up the class rooms. Well, they succeeded in significantly dropping the quality of the student body and enrolling one more student compared to last year. Not looking good for the future of the law school.

Haha wow. Minnesota went straight Illinois but without the cheating.

A little surprised by this. I always considered Minnesota's relative isolation from other markets and relatively strong economy to differentiate it from other law schools. I assumed most people who went to UM Law were from Minnesota and wanted to work in Minnesota, and thus they're not really competing as much with other similarly ranked law schools for the same candidate pool.

Guess I was wrong.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:00 pm

danquayle wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
UVAIce wrote:Also, Minnesota was pretty open about the fact that the school could not sustain the school with small class sizes such as the class of 2015. They openly stated they were dropping the quality of the student body to fill up the class rooms. Well, they succeeded in significantly dropping the quality of the student body and enrolling one more student compared to last year. Not looking good for the future of the law school.

Haha wow. Minnesota went straight Illinois but without the cheating.

A little surprised by this. I always considered Minnesota's relative isolation from other markets and relatively strong economy to differentiate it from other law schools. I assumed most people who went to UM Law were from Minnesota and wanted to work in Minnesota, and thus they're not really competing as much with other similarly ranked law schools for the same candidate pool.

Guess I was wrong.

Less than 40% of the class is composed of Minnesota residents. And our economy may be strong, but that doesn't mean that legal hiring is up in Minnesota.

zman

Postby zman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:03 pm

They still have high GPAs, how do you know for sure the quality is that much worse. It probably isn't. The gap is probably minimal.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:05 pm

25th dropped 2 points. Median dropped 3. That's significant

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:08 pm

We knew they were hit bad when they started offering $$$ to 3.0/165

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I have some friends at William Mitchell who really wish they had taken a year or two off right now.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:17 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if UT had a Minnesota-esque median drop. Not as bad but a point or two I could definitely see.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 pm

I was actually just thinking of something. These numbers are really unprecedented when you consider that schools need only report the highest LSAT score. Historically that was not the practice. So while schools like Minnesota used to have medians in the neighborhood of 165 back around 2000, they were reporting those numbers under a more rigorous accounting practice.

Tl;dr: Shit is bad.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:36 pm

UVAIce wrote:I was actually just thinking of something. These numbers are really unprecedented when you consider that schools need only report the highest LSAT score. Historically that was not the practice. So while schools like Minnesota used to have medians in the neighborhood of 165 back around 2000, they were reporting those numbers under a more rigorous accounting practice.

That's kind of true, but you also have to take into account that fewer people retook the LSAT back then. Retakes are now much more likely because of the importance of the highest LSAT score. For example, I'm retaking a 169->170. If I get a 180 on try 3, my average is only 173 which really wouldn't be worth a 3rd take for my goals. My target score, 174, gives me a 171 average. But with schools taking the highest score, it would be stupid for me to not retake.

Either way, things are bad for law schools right now. And in response to a previous post, I think that A LOT of UM students go to UM because it's top 20 and they really want to go to a top 20 law school hence the 60%+ out of state number.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:46 pm

jingosaur wrote:
UVAIce wrote:I was actually just thinking of something. These numbers are really unprecedented when you consider that schools need only report the highest LSAT score. Historically that was not the practice. So while schools like Minnesota used to have medians in the neighborhood of 165 back around 2000, they were reporting those numbers under a more rigorous accounting practice.

That's kind of true, but you also have to take into account that fewer people retook the LSAT back then. Retakes are now much more likely because of the importance of the highest LSAT score. For example, I'm retaking a 169->170. If I get a 180 on try 3, my average is only 173 which really wouldn't be worth a 3rd take for my goals. My target score, 174, gives me a 171 average. But with schools taking the highest score, it would be stupid for me to not retake.

Either way, things are bad for law schools right now. And in response to a previous post, I think that A LOT of UM students go to UM because it's top 20 and they really want to go to a top 20 law school hence the 60%+ out of state number.

UMN can only hold the "top 20" thing with a 3-pt LSAT drop if UW, GWU, Emory, WashU, and Notre Dame all drop too.. Which they probably will except WUStl, lol

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:50 pm

LSAT medians are still way higher than they used to be a decade or more ago. In 1993, the first year of the 180 scale, Yale was the only school that had a 170 median. The difference between average and highest-reporting was only 0.43 points. The rise wasn't as high for T1 schools as for T14, but I very much doubt these numbers are unprecedented for UMN.

Even as standards have fallen from 2010, this past cycle was still probably one of the six or seven most difficult in T14 history. It was only fifteen years ago that 3.5/165 non-URMs were better than coin flips at UVA.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
jingosaur wrote:

UMN can only hold the "top 20" thing with a 3-pt LSAT drop if UW, GWU, Emory, WashU, and Notre Dame all drop too.. Which they probably will except WUStl, lol

I don't get how GW could possibly have only fallen to 166, especially with a significant increase in class size. Are we sure those numbers are accurate?!?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:01 pm

altoid99 wrote:I don't get how GW could possibly have only fallen to 166, especially with a significant increase in class size. Are we sure those numbers are accurate?!?

Not listed anywhere, and it doesn't make any sense. Only falling one with an 80 person class size increase would be a staggering accomplishment.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
altoid99 wrote:I don't get how GW could possibly have only fallen to 166, especially with a significant increase in class size. Are we sure those numbers are accurate?!?

Not listed anywhere, and it doesn't make any sense. Only falling one with an 80 person class size increase would be a staggering accomplishment.

Would be surprising but they abandoned even the pretext of a GPA floor last year, letting in as low as a 2.3 if it was paired with a 167 or better. They also went pretty deep with the 166's.

OTOH, Minnesota's LSN graph wouldn't make anyone think they'd come in at a 164, so who knows.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:17 pm

This is the GW page with incoming class stats from last year. I haven't found anything from this year. I also haven't looked back through this thread to see when GW's 166 was posted (if it was).

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Yeah, GW literally took ANYONE with a 166.

@Mono, not sure if you know this, but were the stats so much lower before because there were fewer candidates with good scores or because law schools just didn't care as much about the LSAT?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:36 pm

jingosaur wrote:Yeah, GW literally took ANYONE with a 166.

@Mono, not sure if you know this, but were the stats so much lower before because there were fewer candidates with good scores or because law schools just didn't care as much about the LSAT?

Scores used to be much lower

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Couple of things:

(1) Good law schools used to be easier to get into, even though they were far cheaper than they are now, because the opportunity cost of going to law school used to be much higher. (This is econ talk for "generation Y is screwed no matter what it does.")

(2) A critical variable in all this class profile analysis that won't be available until the spring is, how much did schools pay to get their numbers? You can be pretty sure that schools that had "good" results (held or increased class size while not cutting admissions numbers, or not very much) paid for those results with unprecedented tuition discounts.

crestor

Postby crestor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Paul Campos wrote:Couple of things:

(1) Good law schools used to be easier to get into, even though they were far cheaper than they are now, because the opportunity cost of going to law school used to be much higher. (This is econ talk for "generation Y is screwed no matter what it does.")

(2) A critical variable in all this class profile analysis that won't be available until the spring is, how much did schools pay to get their numbers? You can be pretty sure that schools that had "good" results (held or increased class size while not cutting admissions numbers, or not very much) paid for those results with unprecedented tuition discounts.

in after campos

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 pm

This cycle was so messed up. It's like a Tarantino version of admissions. It's great to watch.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Clearly wrote:This cycle was so messed up. It's like a Tarantino version of admissions. It's great to watch.

Here's hoping more of the same this cycle

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Does anyone know where you can look up medians from past years?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Lol Reg. Word on the street is that 180 are expected at orientation anyway. That ridiculous M/F split may be pretty accurate though.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:07 pm

i predicate this cycle will be worse, especially for california lol skewls

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”