C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vuthy

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby vuthy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:UMN couldnt have stuck a 167 median the way they were throwing out splitter $ offers to 166 and 165

Those UMN numbers he listed are from last year. Website says they haven't updated for 2013-14 yet.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Harvard's are *exactly* the same?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 am

Dude it's Hahvahd. what did you expect?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:51 am

Pepperdine: 160, 3.59, 201

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:08 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

Exactly. I think that HYS could achieve any medians they want (and even go higher than their current medians), simply by varying how selective they are with soft factors. The lower-ranked schools can't do this with impunity, lest they start losing applicants to the higher schools.

yot11

Postby yot11 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:09 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

Yeah but I think the point is that even the GPA quartiles are the same. Unchanged LSAT is not surprising but GPA fluctuates enough that quartiles that are EXACTLY the same as last year are a little suspicious.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 pm

yot11 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

Yeah but I think the point is that even the GPA quartiles are the same. Unchanged LSAT is not surprising but GPA fluctuates enough that quartiles that are EXACTLY the same as last year are a little suspicious.

Well, they may be trying to make a statement about just how unaffected their institution is by the drop in applicants (while being fully aware that we'll never know whether they had to be less selective regarding soft factors in order to maintain their numbers).

Considering how close together the 25th and 75th GPA quartiles are (less than a .2 spread), they probably have so many applications in/near that range that they could easily achieve any quartiles they wanted, down to a hundredth of a point.

yot11

Postby yot11 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:03 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
yot11 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

Well, they may be trying to make a statement about just how unaffected their institution is by the drop in applicants (while being fully aware that we'll never know whether they had to be less selective regarding soft factors in order to maintain their numbers).

Considering how close together the 25th and 75th GPA quartiles are (less than a .2 spread), they probably have so many applications in/near that range that they could easily achieve any quartiles they wanted, down to a hundredth of a point.

I agree. Completely within the realm of possibility. Just pointing out that a completely unchanged set of GPA quartiles is uncommon.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:35 pm

yot11 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

Dude take off the foil hat. What does suspicious even mean in this context? You think they're lying or they mistakenly used old numbers? if you mean suspicious in that they play the numbers game, well, no shit. With 7000 apps for 500 spots, they have plenty of room to play with as riqui said

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:37 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
yot11 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

Dude take off the foil hat. What does suspicious even mean in this context? You think they're lying or they mistakenly used old numbers? if you mean suspicious in that they play the numbers game, well, no shit. With 7000 apps for 500 spots, they have plenty of room to play with as riqui said

IT'S UIUC ALL OVER AGAIN WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT!?

bearedman8

Postby bearedman8 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:57 pm

LexLeon wrote:Harvard's are *exactly* the same?

The median GPA was entered incorrectly into the spreadsheet. The class of 2016's median GPA is a 3.88 while the class of 2015's median GPA was a 3.90. Everything else is the same. Here is the link to the 2015 spreadsheet.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Someone updated the spreadsheet with Texas' median at 166, but their website hasn't posted the new median(s). Is this some insider information, or an incorrect piece of data?

UT's website, for reference: http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/jd/quickfacts.php

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:33 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Someone updated the spreadsheet with Texas' median at 166, but their website hasn't posted the new median(s). Is this some insider information, or an incorrect piece of data?

UT's website, for reference: http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/jd/quickfacts.php

Has Texas always had a binding ED option? I could have sworn that they called it "Early Action", it was non-binding, and didn't provide you any benefit other than an expedited decision.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:37 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Someone updated the spreadsheet with Texas' median at 166, but their website hasn't posted the new median(s). Is this some insider information, or an incorrect piece of data?

Has Texas always had a binding ED option? I could have sworn that they called it "Early Action", it was non-binding, and didn't provide you any benefit other than an expedited decision.

Texas had a non-binding Early Action although they called it "Early Decision."

So just like Cornell, Texas now seems to have a binding program.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Nobody has told us what the median is for our class yet, afaik.

yot11

Postby yot11 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:47 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
yot11 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

I meant "suspicious" as in "something could be wrong (like a typo)". But if you are jumping to conspiracy theories, maybe you should take off your own tin foil hat. With 7000 apps for 500 spots, it's harder than you would think to nail down all three quartiles down to one 1/100 of a point. Or there was simply a typo somewhere, hence "suspicious".

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm

yot11 wrote: With 7000 apps for 500 spots, it's harder than you would think to nail down all three quartiles down to one 1/100 of a point.

Really? If we assume that the majority of the apps have GPAs between 3.5 and 4.1, that's several thousand applications spread out over only 600 discrete possible grades in the range (if we're rounding to the nearest hundredth). For any given GPA in that range, there are likely to be a half dozen examples in the pool of applicants. That should make it pretty easy to pick and choose applicants throughout the range to admit or deny without being forced to shift the quartiles.

Of course it's impossible to know exactly how hard it would be without knowing more about the applicant pool. It's possible that thousands of those applications are "hail Marys" that actually fall well below the range I used in the example.

yot11

Postby yot11 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:30 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
yot11 wrote: With 7000 apps for 500 spots, it's harder than you would think to nail down all three quartiles down to one 1/100 of a point.

Really? If we assume that the majority of the apps have GPAs between 3.5 and 4.1, that's several thousand applications spread out over only 600 discrete possible grades in the range (if we're rounding to the nearest hundredth). For any given GPA in that range, there are likely to be a half dozen examples in the pool of applicants. That should make it pretty easy to pick and choose applicants throughout the range to admit or deny without being forced to shift the quartiles.

Of course it's impossible to know exactly how hard it would be without knowing more about the applicant pool. It's possible that thousands of those applications are "hail Marys" that actually fall well below the range I used in the example.

Really? I'm not saying that it's hard, I'm saying that it's not trivial. If you'll notice, not a single school on the spreadsheet that is reporting all three quartiles has the exact same numbers. Schools don't care about that last 1/100th of a point.

Harvard had the exact same numbers. Mildly interesting. Moving on.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Dumb question, but if my GPA is 0.03 or 0.05 below a median, would I be at a sizable disadvantage if my LSAT is not at least a point above the median, compared to if my GPA was 0.01 above? Does that 0.04 have huge implications when top schools want to maintain exact medians like that?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:58 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Dumb question, but if my GPA is 0.03 or 0.05 below a median, would I be at a sizable disadvantage if my LSAT is not at least a point above the median, compared to if my GPA was 0.01 above? Does that 0.04 have huge implications when top schools want to maintain exact medians like that?

yes

AboveTheLawl

Postby AboveTheLawl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:26 pm

Last edited by AboveTheLawl on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Not bad, UW. Holding steady

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:55 pm

USF's LSAT median: 153

NOT FLAME
http://www.usfca.edu/law/jd/admissions/profile/

Also, why do they put the LSAT median of the people who got accepted?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:USF's LSAT median: 153

NOT FLAME

Cause it's higher.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:USF's LSAT median: 153

NOT FLAME

Cause it's higher.

Also provides a more realistic expectation for those looking to apply to see where they stand

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”