C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby 20141023 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:19 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:25 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Has anyone created a thread that shows which, if any, of the respectable schools (T-30ish or so) have lowered tuition costs? Does anyone know? I know a lot of these schools have probably increased scholarship aid to lure in more students, but have any of these schools resorted to actually lowering tuition?

No... but I know that UChicago didn't lower tuition, but Berkeley did (by $10). :lol:


I have never been to California. But one can assume the extra $10 could maybe buy a Starbucks coffee. In Texas, $10 could buy a Starbucks coffee and a meal from Dairy Queen. That is a big deal.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby sinfiery » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:31 am

There is zero incentive to lower tuition but some incentive to give out additional "financial aid".

I don't think we will see any dramatic lowering of tuition

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:26 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Has anyone created a thread that shows which, if any, of the respectable schools (T-30ish or so) have lowered tuition costs? Does anyone know? I know a lot of these schools have probably increased scholarship aid to lure in more students, but have any of these schools resorted to actually lowering tuition?

No... but I know that UChicago didn't lower tuition, but Berkeley did (by $10). :lol:


I assume this is for all UC's, but I know UCLA lowered the costs of its UCSHIP health coverage by a couple hundred. I checked their tuition though and it didn't change (just a drop in some mandatory fees unless they increased it elsewhere)

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 am

crestor wrote:california legal market is a giant shit show.


REMEMBER WHEN EVERYONE HERE ON TLS THOUGHT I WAS WEIRD 4 MAKING FUN OF CALIFORNIA??????

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:37 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
crestor wrote:california legal market is a giant shit show.


REMEMBER WHEN EVERYONE HERE ON TLS THOUGHT I WAS WEIRD 4 MAKING FUN OF CALIFORNIA??????

Dre for MOD

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:42 am

Dmini7 wrote:Pepperdine is up

http://law.pepperdine.edu/admissions/learn-more/facts/

median LSAT=160(-2)
median gpa=3.59(-0.04)
class size=201(-12)

Lmao...it's now better than HasTTTTings.

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:40 am

Jeez these California schools took a nosedive this year. If UCI goes down like this than Dre's head might explode from joy.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby jingosaur » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:38 am

The only viable California schools are Stanford, Berk, UCLA, and USC. No other school is worth it except with a full scholarship and some aren't even worth it with that. It sucks for Cali kids that there's no cheap ABA law school that places well in California. Sometimes I think it's because the California accredited schools are taking up that space, but TCR is probably that the UC system isn't realistic about the costs of law school.

People's College of Law FTW.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby cotiger » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 am

I made a separate thread for this, but I thought it would be relevant to cross-post over here.

I went through all the T14 schools that have submitted medians and 25th/75th data and plugged in the 0-24, 25-49, 50-74, and 75-100 numbers into mylsn for the 2012-2013 cycle to make an acceptance matrix for each school based on location around the median.

The spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ZN2c#gid=0

Thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=216378

User avatar
crestor
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby crestor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
crestor wrote:california legal market is a giant shit show.


REMEMBER WHEN EVERYONE HERE ON TLS THOUGHT I WAS WEIRD 4 MAKING FUN OF CALIFORNIA??????


dre half the people on this forum just make stuff up their ass. i bet most of them stating whatever don't even live in california. i went to college in southern california and grew up in the bay area. i'm still in the bay area. my father has 3 attorneys that he needs for various matters who practice in SF/surrounding area. yet people will continue to call me a troll on certain parts when I say cali legal market is going to hell in a hand-basket. you have to remember this is the internet and any special ed can post whatever they want.

User avatar
crestor
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby crestor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 am

http://www.uchastings.edu/news/articles ... ential.php


A true TTT. WORDS AND PICTURE FROM ARTICLE LINK ABOVE

"UC Hastings’ strategic plan calls for legal education that is practical, international, and interdisciplinary," says Dean Wu. "It also calls for a profound structural change. Any influence I may have had on legal education this year is due entirely to the school-wide implementation of this plan, developed over the course of a year with input from all constituencies, including faculty, students, staff, and our alumni.


Yep, accepting more students in a time where your states legal market is getting annihilated. Yep, lowering standards so less qualified students can get in and compete with your current students who got in with much tougher standards. Yep, calling for the profound structural change and following through... :mrgreen:

Image

Trolling at a million dollar level.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:44 pm

crestor wrote:A true TTT.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby hephaestus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:47 pm

sinfiery wrote:There is zero incentive to lower tuition but some incentive to give out additional "financial aid".

I don't think we will see any dramatic lowering of tuition

I agree. There will always be students that are not cost sensitive because they do no research whatsoever.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:08 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
sinfiery wrote:There is zero incentive to lower tuition but some incentive to give out additional "financial aid".

I don't think we will see any dramatic lowering of tuition

I agree. There will always be students that are not cost sensitive because they do no research whatsoever.


You can not believe how many hours in meetings I have spent on this exact topic over my career.

Your punchline is indeed correct, with the caveat of "what if our competitors try to undercut our price as part of their value-proposition"...in which case "shpuld we d that to them?"

To the notion of lowering your tuition $10. It would actually make more sense from a good PR perspective just to freeze it, no?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:16 pm


User avatar
crestor
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby crestor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 pm

I agree with Spivey that lowering tuition $10 is bad PR. Just keep it the same level.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:19 pm

crestor wrote:I agree with Spivey that lowering tuition $10 is bad PR. Just keep it the same level.


I agree; holding the line on tuition is one thing, but lowering it by $10 is insulting at best, and at worst it sounds like the school is simply trying to find a way to say "we lowered tuition" without really having to lower it by any meaningful amount.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby wtrc » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:39 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
crestor wrote:I agree with Spivey that lowering tuition $10 is bad PR. Just keep it the same level.


I agree; holding the line on tuition is one thing, but lowering it by $10 is insulting at best, and at worst it sounds like the school is simply trying to find a way to say "we lowered tuition" without really having to lower it by any meaningful amount.


If Berkeley ever says "in fact, we lowered tuition!!" without stating it was $10 I would be pissed.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
crestor wrote:I agree with Spivey that lowering tuition $10 is bad PR. Just keep it the same level.


I agree; holding the line on tuition is one thing, but lowering it by $10 is insulting at best, and at worst it sounds like the school is simply trying to find a way to say "we lowered tuition" without really having to lower it by any meaningful amount.


If Berkeley ever says "in fact, we lowered tuition!!" without stating it was $10 I would be pissed.


To be fair, according to the BLS inflation calculator it's a real decrease of about $850 in 2013 dollars.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 pm

midwest17 wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
crestor wrote:I agree with Spivey that lowering tuition $10 is bad PR. Just keep it the same level.


I agree; holding the line on tuition is one thing, but lowering it by $10 is insulting at best, and at worst it sounds like the school is simply trying to find a way to say "we lowered tuition" without really having to lower it by any meaningful amount.


If Berkeley ever says "in fact, we lowered tuition!!" without stating it was $10 I would be pissed.


To be fair, according to the BLS inflation calculator it's a real decrease of about $850 in 2013 dollars.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm


yes but freezing it would be a decrease in what, $800? The only reason you would drop tuition by $10 would be to say "we decreased tuition"...

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:02 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:yes but freezing it would be a decrease in what, $800? The only reason you would drop tuition by $10 would be to say "we decreased tuition"...


I guess? Has the Berkeley administration been going around bragging about the fact that they lowered tuition? I'm guessing they're smart enough to realize that that would end up being really embarrassing.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:43 pm

I think this is Loyola law schools new median LSAT at gpa.
LSAT=160
GPA=3.5
enrollment (340 in day 60 in evening)

http://www.lls.edu/aboutus/overview/facts/enrollment/

I could be wrong, but this is last years info which clearly uses different numbers.

--LinkRemoved--

So a drop of 1 LSAT point, .04 GPA and gain of 20 students overall if this information is right. The drop is not as bad as Pepperdines, but still is questionable to be increasing class sizes at this time.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby 20141023 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:57 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby californiauser » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Dmini7 wrote:I think this is Loyola law schools new median LSAT at gpa.
LSAT=160
GPA=3.5

--LinkRemoved--



Surprisingly, the Ivy League is well represented at Loyola.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lawschool305, Pozzo, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests