C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Happy Gilmore

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby Happy Gilmore » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
sinfiery wrote:NYU always held a significant PI advantage versus CCP in the boom and non boom times. Significant being 3-10% which explains fully this discrepancy in numbers. In boom times P was more apt for filling the other categories table in private firms sub 250 lawyers whereas NYU grads hitup the Govt/PI category. Anecdotally, the amount of people with PI backgrounds as far as out of school WE is concerned, is high at NYU though this may be true for all schools. PLSF makes debt obligations less important to PI people from their reasonings vs that of biglaw from the people I have talked to. 100k coa is 10 years as much as 300k is. The self selection is a real thing but Penn definitely keeps up in raw % numbers. They still, however, falter because their quality of biglaw jobs are preftigiously worse and admissions is easier and very much gamed (more so than UVA)

That being said, CCNP will be a thing if 170/170 are the new medians and employment data holds steady.

CC
NP

/troll

C
C
NP

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:49 pm

bee wrote:
Archangel wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuH-BqWULdrxdGRLd2hBdm5NVHlMY3VqN2Y0QXdXZnc#gid=0

somebody messed up the google spread sheet... :shock:
why? :|
whoever you are just gtfo and away plz

thanks for restoring. like i said last pg, would the admin of the doc please consider restricting editing privileges? thanks

Yep, no worries. Btw, if anybody finds the spreadsheet misused click file, scroll down to revision history and click. A window will pop up on the right with the revision history. At which point you can search for the last positive revision, before it got negatively altered, and click restore. This will solve any devious and/or incompetent alterations or just simple mistakes. That is all.
Last edited by Archangel on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Happy Gilmore wrote:
sinfiery wrote:NYU always held a significant PI advantage versus CCP in the boom and non boom times. Significant being 3-10% which explains fully this discrepancy in numbers. In boom times P was more apt for filling the other categories table in private firms sub 250 lawyers whereas NYU grads hitup the Govt/PI category. Anecdotally, the amount of people with PI backgrounds as far as out of school WE is concerned, is high at NYU though this may be true for all schools. PLSF makes debt obligations less important to PI people from their reasonings vs that of biglaw from the people I have talked to. 100k coa is 10 years as much as 300k is. The self selection is a real thing but Penn definitely keeps up in raw % numbers. They still, however, falter because their quality of biglaw jobs are preftigiously worse and admissions is easier and very much gamed (more so than UVA)

That being said, CCNP will be a thing if 170/170 are the new medians and employment data holds steady.

CC
NP

/troll

C
C
NP

Haha. As long as that top C is the same C I'm thinking of.

And I'm not thinking about Rockefeller's little project

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:29 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:

CC
NP

/troll

C
C
NP

Of course it's the one you're thinking of. Cooley is one of if not the best law schools in the world

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Solid Cooley joke :lol:

Huskies13!

Postby Huskies13! » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:11 pm

NYLS is up--don't know last year numbers.

151 LSAT
3.17 GPA
326 students

http://www.nyls.edu/admissions/j-d-appl ... d-profile/

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:04 am

Huskies13! wrote:NYLS is up--don't know last year numbers.

151 LSAT
3.17 GPA
326 students

Wow. NYLS is a school in decline. Last years numbers were: 3.13/152/443.

A few years back their class profile was 3.28/155/641. And even further back, the all time high entering class size was 736.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:06 am

KevinP wrote:

151 LSAT
3.17 GPA
326 students

Wow. NYLS is a school in decline. Last years numbers were: 3.13/152/443.

A few years back their class profile was 3.28/155/641. And even further back, I believe the all time high entering class size was 736.

Wouldn't be surprised if it closed within 5-10 years.

crestor

Postby crestor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:31 am

http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_students/index.shtml

2012 Class Profile
Applications
Enrolled
Median LSAT
Median GPA
Ethnic/Racial Diversity
21%
More than 2 years of Work Experience
25%
Undergraduate Schools
Majors Represented
States Represented
Countries Represented
Non-Florida Residents
19%
Age Range
19-40

The above is 2012 FSU Data

The below is 2013 FSU Data

2013 Class Profile
Applications
Enrolled
Median LSAT
Median GPA
Ethnic/Racial Diversity
19.4%
More than 2 years of Work Experience
34%
Undergraduate Schools
Majors Represented
States Represented
Countries Represented
Non-Florida Residents
13.5%
Age Range
19-39

Quick takeaways: Down -1 in LSAT; 17 less people in class size.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am

151 LSAT
3.17 GPA
326 students

Wow. NYU sure isn't the school it used to be.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:

CC
NP

/troll

C
C
NP

Tier 1: Harvard and Yale
Tier 2: Columbia
Tier 3: UChi
Tier 4: Else

Letting in non-URMs who don't have 170+ is a TTT move.

Also, I heard La Universidad Nacional del Estado de Alta California-Palo Alto is placing students into jerbs, but admittedly I don't know much about Mexican law.

/trollin'trollin'trollin'onariver

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:53 am

All this thread needs is a Penn=Penn state joke to make it a real barrel of laffs

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 am

CU class size went way up and the median LSAT is done from 164 to 162.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:CU class size went way up and the median LSAT is done from 164 to 162.

How does that TTT get such a high caliber of students considering their horrible employment outcomes? Do they just get the overachieving stoner/skier vote every year?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:CU class size went way up and the median LSAT is done from 164 to 162.

How does that TTT get such a high caliber of students considering their horrible employment outcomes? Do they just get the overachieving stoner/skier vote every year?

Insular market.. Decent students who could get into T30s but want to work at Denver firms go to CU since its still a better shot than most out of state schools

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:All this thread needs is a Penn=Penn state joke to make it a real barrel of laffs

Here at Columbia you can try some of our world-famous coffee. The beans are picked in fields right outside the school and they brew the cup right there, then they deliver it your apartment by hand. I even saw the guy bring him a little baggie of sugar to put in his coffee. It must have cost extra, that's probably why he had his credit card out.

...just doin' my part.

HOS

Postby HOS » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Hey guys, I'm not a massive contributor to this site, but this is a great thread. Thanks to you all for pulling it together.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:

How does that TTT get such a high caliber of students considering their horrible employment outcomes?

Everyone I know got the type of job they were looking for, so employment outcomes are not horrible.

BigZuck wrote:Do they just get the overachieving stoner/skier vote every year?

Yeah probably.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Insular market.. Decent students who could get into T30s but want to work at Denver firms go to CU since its still a better shot than most out of state schools

There is no such thing as T30. Also Denver is not an insular market, but yeah going to the local school will always give the best shot at local employment.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

How does that TTT get such a high caliber of students considering their horrible employment outcomes?

Everyone I know got the type of job they were looking for, so employment outcomes are not horrible.

Yeah probably.

Their employment outcomes are pretty terrible. Going to school for three years for a coinflips' chance at becoming a lawyer is garbage.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Yeah probably.

Their employment outcomes are pretty terrible. Going to school for three years for a coinflips' chance at becoming a lawyer is garbage.

Assuming everyone wants full-time JD required work and applies themselves for that end, I'd agree with you. But the reality here is that you've probably never even been to Colorado; you have no idea what you are talking about.

I've come across several of your posts on this site. Typical arrogance: you think you are great, so you think everyone is trying to be exactly like you. Truth is very few people on earth share your goals, and you come across to many others as immature. As expected, you see it a lot of this dynamic on TLS. Instead of just leaving it with "you enjoy your quality of life, I'll enjoy my 160k salary," you assume that everyone outside of some TLS creation - Fed Clerk + 500+ law firm - is SOL, completely miserable, and some pawn in a conspiracy involving higher education. You pretend to be concerned for these supposed "TTT losers" who go to schools like CU, but your posts only serve to make yourself feel better about your own life. It's all pretty sad.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:46 pm

http://www.gwhatchet.com/2013/09/02/law ... -decrease/

Out of this year's fall class, 436 are full-time and 48 are enrolled as part-time. Interim dean Gregory Maggs said in an email that an 80-person increase "is not a huge fluctuation," but made the school return to a more typical number

:lol:

edit: reading that article I really hope this was some satirical joke played by the student newspaper... Some of the things said just can't be true.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Here at Columbia you can try some of our world-famous coffee. The beans are picked in fields right outside the school and they brew the cup right there, then they deliver it your apartment by hand. I even saw the guy bring him a little baggie of sugar to put in his coffee. It must have cost extra, that's probably why he had his credit card out.

...just doin' my part.

I went to CLS one day and thought I left NYC. The village is the best place ever. If the schools were in opposite areas, I'm pretty sure it would be like a 174/165 median LSAT distribution in favor of CLS.

Don't worry though, you can come join me in 3 years when you have money :)

also I hope NYLS dies.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Assuming everyone wants full-time JD required work and applies themselves for that end, I'd agree with you. But the reality here is that you've probably never even been to Colorado; you have no idea what you are talking about.

I've come across several of your posts on this site. Typical arrogance: you think you are great, so you think everyone is trying to be exactly like you. Truth is very few people on earth share your goals, and you come across to many others as immature. As expected, you see it a lot of this dynamic on TLS. Instead of just leaving it with "you enjoy your quality of life, I'll enjoy my 160k salary," you assume that everyone outside of some TLS creation - Fed Clerk + 500+ law firm - is SOL, completely miserable, and some pawn in a conspiracy involving higher education. You pretend to be concerned for these supposed "TTT losers" who go to schools like CU, but your posts only serve to make yourself feel better about your own life. It's all pretty sad.

No he's saying that even including JD Advantage jobs, a full 40% of their most recent class doesn't have long term, full time work 9 months after graduation. For a degree that costs you $187,000 and three years of lost earnings, that's not a particularly good deal for their students. Unfortunately, like many posters on this site is doesn't say this with any particular amount of social tact (TTT, etc.), but the point stands.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:39 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Here at Columbia you can try some of our world-famous coffee. The beans are picked in fields right outside the school and they brew the cup right there, then they deliver it your apartment by hand. I even saw the guy bring him a little baggie of sugar to put in his coffee. It must have cost extra, that's probably why he had his credit card out.

...just doin' my part.

I went to CLS one day and thought I left NYC. The village is the best place ever. If the schools were in opposite areas, I'm pretty sure it would be like a 174/165 median LSAT distribution in favor of CLS.

Don't worry though, you can come join me in 3 years

also I hope NYLS dies.

My gf goes to school at NYU; I was down there several days last week. We're both glad we're living in Morningside; the village is awesome, truly, but its claustrophobic and insane. I would be pretty overwhelmed in that environment.. I suppose its a personality thing, but the relative quiet and seclusion of the Columbia campus and the upper west location is actually a positive for a lot of students

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”