C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScottRiqui

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:36 pm

McGruff wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:And I still
think it's better that the median does not include the PT students since the majority of people who want to know the medians are only concerned about applying to FT programs.

But why would the PT inclusion be irrelevant to their interests when the USNWR methodology implies that schools likely use the same metrics when evaluating PT numbers as FT numbers? I agree that FT data is better than nothing, but how is it better than the whole picture? (srs question as I think I might be missing your point)

For schools that have both PT and FT programs, the PT programs are usually (always?) easier to get into, and have lower LSAT/GPA medians. If I'm going to be applying for the school's FT program, I don't really care what the numbers are for their typical PT accepted applicant.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Maybe I'm a special snowflake, but when I look at schools medians, it isn’t because I’m trying to create my own ranking system for them. I’m looking because I want to know how my LSAT compares to their median so I know my chances of getting in. If their reported median includes PT and FT then I’m not getting an accurate idea of how my LSAT compares to their median since I’m applying to the FT program.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:41 pm

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
McGruff wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:And I still
think it's better that the median does not include the PT students since the majority of people who want to know the medians are only concerned about applying to FT programs.

But why would the PT inclusion be irrelevant to their interests when the USNWR methodology implies that schools likely use the same metrics when evaluating PT numbers as FT numbers? I agree that FT data is better than nothing, but how is it better than the whole picture? (srs question as I think I might be missing your point)

For schools that have both PT and FT programs, the PT programs are usually (always?) easier to get into, and have lower LSAT/GPA medians. If I'm going to be applying for the school's FT program, I don't really care what the numbers are for their typical PT accepted applicant.

I see. I'm curious why PT programs would be easier to get into, but I see how it changes things. Point rescinded, carry on.

haus

Postby haus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:15 pm

McGruff wrote:
I see. I'm curious why PT programs would be easier to get into, but I see how it changes things. Point rescinded, carry on.

Historically PT program were mostly evening classes for full time workers (old geezers like me), often they have been out of school for a much longer time than their FT peers, and as a general rule, the older/further away from undergrad the lower the LSAT scores of the test taker, which causes the overall scores of this audience to be lower.

Yet, this crowd also has had opportunities (mostly due to time) to potentially show potential through other options, such as years of work experience.

In recent years several of the PT programs have significantly reduced their class size and raised their requirements for GPA and LSAT to narrow the gap with the FT counterparts. This appears to be a reaction to USNWR including the numbers for the PT students in the overall numbers for the school.

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:30 pm

The reason why including part time students is relevant is because the whole purpose of this thread is to compare schools that have lowered academic standards, class size, etc.... If all of the schools included the part time students and one school did not confirm their whole class numbers, it defeats the purpose of the thread. This is very simple, no confusion.

Fordham will update it in this page http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/1410.htm

Ultimately, my prediction is that Fordhams total incoming class medians will significantly drop. This is where ppl are getting the numbers http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/23526.htm, its wrong

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:45 pm

THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Eta: just realized this was click bait. Slick

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:54 pm

PM me and I'll let you wet your beak a little in the vast revenue stream generated by TLS visits to one LGM post.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:47 am

Paul Campos wrote:PM me and I'll let you wet your beak a little in the vast revenue stream generated by TLS visits to one LGM post.

Cool story...prof bro?

But seriously, be honest. You did that to get a little free publicity, right? We all know you do good work but we also know you're self-aggrandizing. It's not all out of the goodness of your heart. Papa's gotta get a little sugar too, you know? An e-book sale here. An "omg your a god speak truth to power love you Campos AMAZING" there. And that's ok. It's cool, prof bro. No judgment here. It's a safe space. We all know what's up.

Anyway, GIMME MOAR BLOOD!!!

ThinkNegative

Postby ThinkNegative » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:PM me and I'll let you wet your beak a little in the vast revenue stream generated by TLS visits to one LGM post.

Cool story...prof bro?

But seriously, be honest. You did that to get a little free publicity, right? We all know you do good work but we also know you're self-aggrandizing. It's not all out of the goodness of your heart. Papa's gotta get a little sugar too, you know? An e-book sale here. An "omg your a god speak truth to power love you Campos AMAZING" there. And that's ok. It's cool, prof bro. No judgment here. It's a safe space. We all know what's up.

Anyway, GIMME MOAR BLOOD!!!

Oh yes, Professor Campos, by all means, please keep doing your valuable work, only you MUST completely stop telling people about it. That will make it far more noble!

- Nobody ever

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:45 pm

the collapse will be exciting.

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Any predictions on how the bloodbath will affect yield protect? Will schools that yp waitlist more applicants that are now more likely to go to ccn due to the lack of stellar applicants, or will they work harder to keep medians?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:42 am

notalobbyist wrote:Any predictions on how the bloodbath will affect yield protect? Will schools that yp waitlist more applicants that are now more likely to go to ccn due to the lack of stellar applicants, or will they work harder to keep medians?

So long as USNWR incorporates Acceptance Rate into its metric, there ill be yield protection

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Cool story...prof bro?

Dude, you are being kind of dumb. What's the point of writing about and having a position on legal education reform if no one is supposed to read about it? Campos' book is like $4.99 or something. I doubt he's making much money on it. Compare that to these companies that charge you like $400 for LSAT prep books, or $3000 for bar prep courses. Or $200 for a "case book" that is nothing but copied and pasted writing done by judges with a few ponderings and musings after each case?

Your righteous indignation is severely misplaced.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:27 pm

JCougar wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Cool story...prof bro?

Dude, you are being kind of dumb. What's the point of writing about and having a position on legal education reform if no one is supposed to read about it? Campos' book is like $4.99 or something. I doubt he's making much money on it. Compare that to these companies that charge you like $400 for LSAT prep books, or $3000 for bar prep courses. Or $200 for a "case book" that is nothing but copied and pasted writing done by judges with a few ponderings and musings after each case?

Your righteous indignation is severely misplaced.

The only indignation I had was the fact that he made a sarcastic joke instead of acknowledging that he posted that just to get some cheap hits on his website.

Look brother, I'm down. But don't try and pass it off like he's just trying to contribute to the thread. He's only contributing to the thread to get some publicity. When Campos does it he's doing God's work. When someone else does it, he's a spammer. And that's fine, the result of his work is good (even if it is self-serving at the same time).

But dont sit here and tell me his purpose for posting in this thread wasn't to get someone to visit his website.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:acknowledging that he posted that just to get some cheap hits on his website.

How do you know this?

There seems to me to be a couple of other very plausible alternatives.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:39 am

JCougar wrote:
BigZuck wrote:acknowledging that he posted that just to get some cheap hits on his website.

How do you know this?

There seems to me to be a couple of other very plausible alternatives.

It was the inclusion of the link to his personal website rather than, say, the news article or school website that confirmed the number. Also the fact that he reported one number (no medians) of this random TTT that he just so happened to write a post about. BigZuck wasn't complaining, just rolling his eyes.

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 pm

UW-Madison is up.

156-161-163 (1 point loss at each quartile)
3.21-3.58-3.70
186 total enrollment (-29)

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Don't know if anyone has posted this, but SMU has its FT and PT medians up.

The full-time day class that enrolled in the fall of 2012 has a median LSAT score of 164 and a median undergraduate GPA of 3.73. The part-time evening class that enrolled in the fall of 20112 has a median LSAT score of 160 and a median undergraduate GPA of 3.49.
http://www.law.smu.edu/JDFAQ

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:41 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Don't know if anyone has posted this, but SMU has its FT and PT medians up.

The full-time day class that enrolled in the fall of 2012 has a median LSAT score of 164 and a median undergraduate GPA of 3.73. The part-time evening class that enrolled in the fall of 20112 has a median LSAT score of 160 and a median undergraduate GPA of 3.49.

Those are the numbers from last year, we're looking for fall of 2013 entering students.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:35 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Don't know if anyone has posted this, but SMU has its FT and PT medians up.

Those are the numbers from last year, we're looking for fall of 2013 entering students.

Good. I'm hoping they drop 1 or 2!

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:32 pm

AT9 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:

Good. I'm hoping they drop 1 or 2!

Amen to that. Me too!! better be 2

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:33 pm

by the way any Emory student can reveal what is the median LSAT for their class of 2016?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:53 pm

kobe1020 wrote:by the way any Emory student can reveal what is the median LSAT for their class of 2016?

It's on the google doc

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”