C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
altoid99

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby altoid99 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:35 am

Stop posting schools we already have numbers for. Check the spreadsheet first.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Wait... George Washington is 165? Doood... I thought it was 166, no?

Postby 04102014 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:36 pm

jk148706 wrote:Wait... George Washington is 165? Doood... I thought it was 166, no?

Has this even been released yet?

And where did BU come from? Post links peoples.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Wait... George Washington is 165? Doood... I thought it was 166, no?

Has this even been released yet?

And where did BU come from? Post links peoples.

+1

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm

fyi, here is the rest of uchi's breakdown: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... 013-14.pdf

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:38 pm

isuperserial wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
A-Modest-Proposal wrote:Just got Notre Dame's Class Profile from my school's Law School Fair. It's not pretty.

Median GPA: 3.60
Median LSAT: 163
LSAT Range: 160-165
class size: 163

Holy. Is this confirmed ??

Seems to be. Makes me feel damn good knowing even if I didn't improve much on my Oct retake, I can still be accepted to some great schools, hopefully with a little scholly money. Just waiting on WashU... their loss will be my gain XD

+1

It's pretty crazy out there. Blood everywhere.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 pm

I want MOAR BLOOD!!!

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 pm

As the numbers roll in, I'm more and more impressed with the way GW zigged while everyone else zagged. They grabbed every high-GPA mufu they could find and threw money at them. The result was

(a) a huge GPA boost, and
(b) a huge class, which means more revenue assuming the extra students got anything less than a free ride.

You have to hand it to their Admissions people. They're always running some sort of game and it usually works.

ETA: Of course they took a 2-point LSAT hit, but that headline gets buried since so many others schools took the same or a similar hit.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Robespierre wrote:As the numbers roll in, I'm more and more impressed with the way GW zigged while everyone else zagged. They grabbed every high-GPA mufu they could find and threw money at them. The result was

(b) a huge class, which means more revenue assuming the extra students got anything less than a free ride.

You have to hand it to their Admissions people. They're always running some sort of game and it usually works.

ETA: Of course they took a 2-point LSAT hit, but that headline gets buried since so many others schools took the same or a similar hit.

Still haven't seen new numbers for GW...

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:05 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:As the numbers roll in, I'm more and more impressed with the way GW zigged while everyone else zagged. They grabbed every high-GPA mufu they could find and threw money at them. The result was

Yeah, where are these #s??

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:16 pm

It would be pretty extraordinary if these numbers get confirmed. Given that most schools took a 1-3 point LSAT hit while barely holding steady on the other metrics, it's really impressive to only give up 2 LSAT points and still grow class size and get a big GPA jump. But it sounds like we should reserve judgment a little longer because the whole thing may be too good to be true.

RebelAmoeba

Postby RebelAmoeba » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

It would be pretty extraordinary if these numbers get confirmed. Given that most schools took a 1-3 point LSAT hit while barely holding steady on the other metrics, it's really impressive to only give up 2 LSAT points and still grow class size and get a big GPA jump. But it sounds like we should reserve judgment a little longer because the whole thing sounds too good to be true.

This is the only link that I could find: http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/newsroom/201 ... aw-school/

I'm not sure where that article is getting its data.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:58 pm

If this is all true i don't think this is something to be lauded. Sure GW saw a GPA boost but they enrolled a larger class when there are not jobs to justify that increase. On top of that they blatantly stated that it was about money. Kudos to them for their honesty but maybe they should cut down on costs by getting more of their graduates jobs instead of having to support them in unemployment.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 pm

The-Specs wrote:

If this is all true i don't think this is something to be lauded. Sure GW saw a GPA boost but they enrolled a larger class when there are not jobs to justify that increase. On top of that they blatantly stated that it was about money. Kudos to them for their honesty but maybe they should cut down on costs by getting more of their graduates jobs instead of having to support them in unemployment.

I think this is understood by everyone giving them praise. They're all coming from the perspective of the admissions comittee's goals, which are to increase/maintain revenue while not losing out too much in the rankings. They did a good jerb

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm

KevinP wrote:fyi, here is the rest of uchi's breakdown: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... 013-14.pdf

wait, is this another fake? where is this from?

Postby 04102014 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:23 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
KevinP wrote:fyi, here is the rest of uchi's breakdown: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... 013-14.pdf

It's on their website.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

That's actually from their website. http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/AdmissionsProfileCardupdated2013-14.pdf

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:28 pm

altoid99 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

That's actually from their website. http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/AdmissionsProfileCardupdated2013-14.pdf

snap

so its 170 for Chicago. Maybe we will see a tie at 4th

splitcity

Postby splitcity » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:18 pm

RebelAmoeba wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

It would be pretty extraordinary if these numbers get confirmed. Given that most schools took a 1-3 point LSAT hit while barely holding steady on the other metrics, it's really impressive to only give up 2 LSAT points and still grow class size and get a big GPA jump. But it sounds like we should reserve judgment a little longer because the whole thing sounds too good to be true.

This is the only link that I could find: http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/newsroom/201 ... aw-school/

Those are averages, not medians. It looks like they took a good number of very high gpa/very low lsat applicants and those LSAT outliers could have dragged down the mean. It's still possible that they maintained a 167 or dropped only to a 166.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:28 pm

splitcity wrote:
RebelAmoeba wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Those are averages, not medians. It looks like they took a good number of very high gpa/very low lsat applicants and those LSAT outliers could have dragged down the mean. It's still possible that they maintained a 167 or dropped only to a 166.

I don't know that I trust their school newspaper to make that distinction. I bet they're referring to medians.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:47 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:

I was just going by what's on the spreadsheet. So you guys are questioning whether it's true? Good point, I guess. GW's website is silent, and I don't think we can rely on the school paper ...

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm

UChi's 25th LSAT is a 166. :shock: Looks like we know where they fall on the LSAT v. GPA side of things.

It's tough out there for a splitter.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:55 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:UChi's 25th LSAT is a 166. :shock: Looks like we know where they fall on the LSAT v. GPA side of things.

are splitters essentially fucked? every school besides Columbia and NYU is going to be splitter-unfriendly because they can take 169s instead of 170s to maintain their medians.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:59 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:UChi's 25th LSAT is a 166. :shock: Looks like we know where they fall on the LSAT v. GPA side of things.

are splitters essentially fucked? every school besides Columbia and NYU is going to be splitter-unfriendly because they can take 169s instead of 170s to maintain their medians.

You're not fucked if you can go to CLS or NYU.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:09 pm

KingFish wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:

You're not fucked if you can go to CLS or NYU.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”