C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:43 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:If I was a dean at a T-14, I would drop tuition by about $10K. This would help immensely with maintaining medians.


Doesn't being more generous with scholarship money achieve the same effect, without the possible stigma of being perceived as desperate, or as a "bargain basement" law school?


I don't think it does achieve the same effect. By dropping tuition by $10K across the board, everyone would benefit from the cut, which I think would make people give a certain school a second look. $30K is a shit load of money. With scholarship $$$, only the highest numbered peeps will continue to get the large additional discounts. What they are doing right now doesn't appear to be working. At some point, they may just stop giving a fuck and just continue to let medians drop. Everyone else's medians will drop anyways.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bouleversement wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:is it possible for nyu to have a median of 169 for this coming cycle?


Anything is possible.


I know I'm just some chump but given the success my 169 had at Duke/NU/UVA and failure at Penn/NYU I'm going to say Penn/NYU did not drop to 169.


nyu was taking 169s left and right off the waitlist. they definitely maintained a 170 median. but this coming cycle is gonna see further drops, is it possible for a 169 median?

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:46 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:is it possible for nyu to have a median of 169 for this coming cycle?


Well, it would make them the highest-ranked school so far to have a two-point median drop, and it would also put their median unusually closer to their 25th percentile than their 75th.


i meant, THIS COMING CYCLE. i'm assuming they maintained a 170.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:02 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:If I was a dean at a T-14, I would drop tuition by about $10K. This would help immensely with maintaining medians.


Doesn't being more generous with scholarship money achieve the same effect, without the possible stigma of being perceived as desperate, or as a "bargain basement" law school?


I don't think it does achieve the same effect. By dropping tuition by $10K across the board, everyone would benefit from the cut, which I think would make people give a certain school a second look. $30K is a shit load of money. With scholarship $$$, only the highest numbered peeps will continue to get the large additional discounts. What they are doing right now doesn't appear to be working. At some point, they may just stop giving a fuck and just continue to let medians drop. Everyone else's medians will drop anyways.


Possibly, but given acceptances to multiple schools, how far down the rankings would you drop in order to save $30k?

Honestly, I think that all of the schools outside of HYS are faced with a problem that's pretty much intractable; many applicants are just looking to go to the highest-ranked school that will take them. As the number of applicants goes down, the very top schools can maintain their medians by just being slightly less picky with soft factors (since they've always been able to turn away even the highest-scoring applicants), but for the lower-ranked schools, there just aren't enough students out there with the numbers they need to support both their medians and their class sizes.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby 20141023 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:10 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:10 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:If I was a dean at a T-14, I would drop tuition by about $10K. This would help immensely with maintaining medians.


Doesn't being more generous with scholarship money achieve the same effect, without the possible stigma of being perceived as desperate, or as a "bargain basement" law school?


I don't think it does achieve the same effect. By dropping tuition by $10K across the board, everyone would benefit from the cut, which I think would make people give a certain school a second look. $30K is a shit load of money. With scholarship $$$, only the highest numbered peeps will continue to get the large additional discounts. What they are doing right now doesn't appear to be working. At some point, they may just stop giving a fuck and just continue to let medians drop. Everyone else's medians will drop anyways.


But how would giving below-median people tuition discounts at the expense of above-median people help maintain medians?

Put it this way, let's assume you have a class of 100 people and a nominal tuition of 50k. There are two options. One is to do what you're saying, cut tuition, and make everyone pay 40k. That brings in $4m for the school. The other way is to have the 50 below-median people pay 50k and the 50 above-median pay 30k. This still brings in $4m for the school, but makes it that much more attractive for the above-median people.

It doesn't matter if cutting tuition across the board would "make certain people give the school another look" unless those people were above the median.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby banjo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
JurisDoctorSeuss wrote:Cornell posted their numbers:

2013 Entering Class (195 Matriculants)

25% GPA: 3.52
Median GPA: 3.66
75% GPA: 3.73

25% LSAT: 165
Median LSAT: 167
75% LSAT: 167

Not sure if I've seen that happen before...


All Cornell has to do is move their law school to Manhattan. They already have medical facilities on the east side, are building a tech campus on Roosevelt Island, and conduct their OCI in Manhattan. It would be relatively easy...

I think the quote "chaos is a ladder" would be apt here...
Last edited by banjo on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:09 pm

the freefall continues

User avatar
bouleversement
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby bouleversement » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:22 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:the very top schools can maintain their medians by just being slightly less picky with soft factors (since they've always been able to turn away even the highest-scoring applicants)


Does that mean they always will be able to?

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 pm

bouleversement wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:the very top schools can maintain their medians by just being slightly less picky with soft factors (since they've always been able to turn away even the highest-scoring applicants)


Does that mean they always will be able to?


In the long term? It would depend on whether the number of LSAT takers and applicants continues to drop. Obviously, if they drop far enough at some point in the future, even HYS would have to lower LSAT/GPA admissions standards and/or class size.

But for this cycle that we're just now getting the numbers for, I'd bet a paycheck that they could have even *raised* their medians and maintained class sizes if they had wanted to send a "screw you" message to the lower-ranked schools just to show how unaffected they are by the downturn in applicants.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 pm

bouleversement wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:the very top schools can maintain their medians by just being slightly less picky with soft factors (since they've always been able to turn away even the highest-scoring applicants)


Does that mean they always will be able to?

Yes, because they have such a high yield and aren't worried about maximizing medians, just keeping medians above the unwashed masses of schools below. Harvard doesn't need to keep a 173 median. At this point it's just rubbing it in.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 pm

banjo wrote:All Cornell has to do is move their law school to Manhattan. They already have medical facilities on the east side, are building a tech campus on Roosevelt Island, and conduct their OCI in Manhattan. It would be relatively easy...

I think the quote "chaos is a ladder" would be apt here...


It would be awesome if Cornell just took over all of Roosevelt Island. Or Governor's Island, though NYU kind of claimed that a few years ago.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby Lavitz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:48 pm

cotiger wrote:
banjo wrote:All Cornell has to do is move their law school to Manhattan. They already have medical facilities on the east side, are building a tech campus on Roosevelt Island, and conduct their OCI in Manhattan. It would be relatively easy...

I think the quote "chaos is a ladder" would be apt here...


It would be awesome if Cornell just took over all of Roosevelt Island. Or Governor's Island, though NYU kind of claimed that a few years ago.

They're not going to go through all that trouble for a few notches on USNWR.

Besides, I like it out here.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby moonman157 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
bouleversement wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:the very top schools can maintain their medians by just being slightly less picky with soft factors (since they've always been able to turn away even the highest-scoring applicants)


Does that mean they always will be able to?

Yes, because they have such a high yield and aren't worried about maximizing medians, just keeping medians above the unwashed masses of schools below. Harvard doesn't need to keep a 173 median. At this point it's just rubbing it in.


Exactly. Stanford's LSAT median is already below CCN, but don't expect any of them to pass it up in USNWR anytime soon. They could easily bring it up a few, but they don't care because they don't need to.

User avatar
FKASunny
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby FKASunny » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Lavitz wrote:
cotiger wrote:
banjo wrote:All Cornell has to do is move their law school to Manhattan. They already have medical facilities on the east side, are building a tech campus on Roosevelt Island, and conduct their OCI in Manhattan. It would be relatively easy...

I think the quote "chaos is a ladder" would be apt here...


It would be awesome if Cornell just took over all of Roosevelt Island. Or Governor's Island, though NYU kind of claimed that a few years ago.

They're not going to go through all that trouble for a few notches on USNWR.

Besides, I like it out here.


Stockholm Syndrome

JurisDoctorSeuss
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby JurisDoctorSeuss » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:20 pm

Penn Law's Unofficial #s for the entering 2013 class
https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd ... rofile.php

Applicants = 5,307 -541
Enrolled = 251 +8
LSAT 75% = 171 0
LSAT 25% = 165 +1
GPA 75% = 3.94 0
GPA 25% = 3.55 0
Last edited by JurisDoctorSeuss on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JurisDoctorSeuss
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby JurisDoctorSeuss » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Georgetown University Law Center reported their class size, median LSAT, and median GPA in a local paper, which Leiter posted: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

2013 Entering Class
Median GPA: 3.75 +.03
Median LSAT: 168 -1
Class Size: 544 -31 or 5.39%

2012 Entering Class
Median GPA: 3.72 25%/75% 3.43/3.82
Median LSAT: 169 25%/75% 165/170
Class Size: 575

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby jk148706 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:55 pm

A-Modest-Proposal wrote:Just got Notre Dame's Class Profile from my school's Law School Fair. It's not pretty.

Median GPA: 3.60
Median LSAT: 163
LSAT Range: 160-165
class size: 163


Holy. Is this confirmed ??

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby isuperserial » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:07 am

jk148706 wrote:
A-Modest-Proposal wrote:Just got Notre Dame's Class Profile from my school's Law School Fair. It's not pretty.

Median GPA: 3.60
Median LSAT: 163
LSAT Range: 160-165
class size: 163


Holy. Is this confirmed ??


Seems to be. Makes me feel damn good knowing even if I didn't improve much on my Oct retake, I can still be accepted to some great schools, hopefully with a little scholly money. Just waiting on WashU... their loss will be my gain XD

JurisDoctorSeuss
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby JurisDoctorSeuss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:51 am

University of Minnesota
Entering Class of 2013

Applied: 2,946; Enrolled: 221

LSAT Median: 164
25-75 Percentile: 156-167

GPA Median: 3.79
25-75 Percentile: 3.44-3.90

JurisDoctorSeuss
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby JurisDoctorSeuss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 am

Vanderbilt Law
J.D. Class of 2016:

3,296 applications
174 students

75th percentile GPA:3.85
Median GPA: 3.74
25th percentile GPA: 3.45

75th percentile LSAT: 169 (96th percentile among test-takers)
Median LSAT: 167 (94th percentile among test-takers*)
25th percentile LSAT: 163 (87th percentile among test-takers)

JurisDoctorSeuss
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby JurisDoctorSeuss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:59 am

Indiana-U Bloomington

2013 Entering JD Class

204 students
Median 162 LSAT*
Median 3.8 GPA

*Doesn't include JD/MBA or those entering through direct admit program

JurisDoctorSeuss
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby JurisDoctorSeuss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:04 am

UNC Entering Class 2013

Median GPA: 3.5
GPA 25/75 percentiles: 3.28/3.69
Median LSAT: 161
LSAT 25/75 percentiles: 159/163
238 students enrolled from 1,517 applicants

JurisDoctorSeuss
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby JurisDoctorSeuss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 am

University of Georgia
Incoming 2013

Total Enrollment
201
Median LSAT Score
163
Median GPA
3.69

JurisDoctorSeuss
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Postby JurisDoctorSeuss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 am

Maryland Law

The 2013 Entering Class
206 enrolled (173 day, 33 evening)
160 median LSAT
3.53 median GPA




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: checkcheckgo, galeatus, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests