C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
McGruff

Bronze

Re: C/O 2016 median lsat/gpa/class size

Post by McGruff » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:What does it mean to be median gaming?

There was an in-depth discussion of what this means starting with Page 39 (or thereabouts) of this very thread. Very informative, would highly recommend.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:23 pm

jselson wrote:As a former English major, I'm deeply offended that they included us with Communications.
This injustice cannot stand.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:01 am

isuperserial wrote:
jselson wrote:As a former English major, I'm deeply offended that they included us with Communications.
This injustice cannot stand.
English major to Comm major: "Did He who made the Lamb make thee?"

TirantMartorell

Bronze

Post by TirantMartorell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Welcome to Puerto Rico! Where our median LSAT is a jaw-dropping 138![/quote]
InterAmerican wrote:Juris Doctor is a program for high school students who graduate looking for a graduate school option that allows them to acquire the knowledge and develop in the field of law.
InterAmerican wrote:Juris Doctor is a program for high school students who graduate looking for a graduate school option that allows them to acquire the knowledge and develop in the field of law.
InterAmerican wrote:Juris Doctor is a program for high school students
http://www.derecho.inter.edu/inter/futu ... admisiones

Well holy shit. Dropping from 869 to 246 was trying to hold that 139 median. (They didn't) At least the COA is only $33,150 annually.[/quote][/quote]

The translation of the program description is wrong. In many Spanish-speaking countries, "bachillerato" does mean high school but in PR they use the term to say "bachelor's degree" - so this PR school isn't accepting kids right out of high school. PR law schools are hardly like Caribbean med schools. Those meds schools are meant for American students who can't get into US med schools. PR law schools are for Puerto Ricans (as well as PR med schools). I've heard it's hard to get into PR med schools if you have no ties to the island. The classes at PR law schools are in Spanish so few American students will want to go there. Also, even though PR is a US territory, most of the population does not speak English well so the English-language LSAT is unlikely to mean much there. For ugrad admissions they don't even use the SAT or ACT, they have their own test in Spanish for that.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:10 pm

TirantMartorell wrote: The translation of the program description is wrong. In many Spanish-speaking countries, "bachillerato" does mean high school but in PR they use the term to say "bachelor's degree" - so this PR school isn't accepting kids right out of high school. PR law schools are hardly like Caribbean med schools. Those meds schools are meant for American students who can't get into US med schools. PR law schools are for Puerto Ricans (as well as PR med schools). I've heard it's hard to get into PR med schools if you have no ties to the island. The classes at PR law schools are in Spanish so few American students will want to go there. Also, even though PR is a US territory, most of the population does not speak English well so the English-language LSAT is unlikely to mean much there. For ugrad admissions they don't even use the SAT or ACT, they have their own test in Spanish for that.
Caribbean med schools are TTT. I know five people that ruined their lives by going. It's not all the schools' faults though. A lot of those students do not belong in med school in the first place. If you couldn't muster at least a 3.5 and 30 on the MCAT, you don't belong in med school in the first place. They go and get their asses handed to them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:56 pm

The doc still has Stanford's median at 171...is that a thing? Have we any evidence for this other than Spivey? It is relevant to my interests.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 pm

malleus discentium wrote:The doc still has Stanford's median at 171...is that a thing? Have we any evidence for this other than Spivey? It is relevant to my interests.
Spivey is sufficient enough evidence.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:35 pm

deputydog wrote: Spivey is sufficient enough evidence.
MikeSpivey wrote:
bouleversement wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Wo-ah!

I just heard a rumor that the medians for Stanford this year are 171/3.87.

That would be up in both categories.
Reliable source? About time. I understand they are starting to focus more on the LSAT.
I would not write it in stone on the spreadsheet but I would be surprised if this were not what they report, yes.
And yet there it is, on the spreadsheet. Hence my question if someone other than Spivey had confirmed it.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:42 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
deputydog wrote: Spivey is sufficient enough evidence.
MikeSpivey wrote:
bouleversement wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Wo-ah!

I just heard a rumor that the medians for Stanford this year are 171/3.87.

That would be up in both categories.
Reliable source? About time. I understand they are starting to focus more on the LSAT.
I would not write it in stone on the spreadsheet but I would be surprised if this were not what they report, yes.
And yet there it is, on the spreadsheet. Hence my question if someone other than Spivey had confirmed it.
Chill out. He said in stone, clearly the spreadsheet can be edited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

man_utd_4l

New

Post by man_utd_4l » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Brooklyn Law School's 2013 Entering Class Profile

http://www.brooklaw.edu/en/Admissions/s ... tics.aspx?

University of Missouri School of Law's 2013 Entering Class Profile

http://www.law.missouri.edu/admissions/ ... ofile.html

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:52 pm

man_utd_4l wrote:Brooklyn Law School's 2013 Entering Class Profile

Wow, BLS median LSAT down 4 points in 2 years.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Telling people to chill out rarely chills them out (and nobody here is in need of chilling anyway).

It seems strange to justify our spreadsheet's saying something when the source of that information himself said he wouldn't put it on the spreadsheet. If he isn't quite confident enough to put it on the spreadsheet, it's bizarre that we are. But since it's on there, apparently either someone is confident enough or we have a separate source. This is what I wanted to clarify.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:01 pm

malleus discentium wrote:Telling people to chill out rarely chills them out (and nobody here is in need of chilling anyway).

It seems strange to justify our spreadsheet's saying something when the source of that information himself said he wouldn't put it on the spreadsheet. If he isn't quite confident enough to put it on the spreadsheet, it's bizarre that we are. But since it's on there, apparently either someone is confident enough or we have a separate source. This is what I wanted to clarify.
It's hardly even that relevant. It's not like getting a 171 over a 170 is going to help much at Stanford. lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:02 pm

jingosaur wrote:
man_utd_4l wrote:Brooklyn Law School's 2013 Entering Class Profile

Wow, BLS median LSAT down 4 points in 2 years.
Enrollment is basically the same. Guess they chose money over student quality.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:07 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:Telling people to chill out rarely chills them out (and nobody here is in need of chilling anyway).

It's hardly even that relevant. It's not like getting a 171 over a 170 is going to help much at Stanford. lol
+1

Also, chill out. If you haven't found a solid source besides spivey, I doubt anyone else has. Just be content knowing that the spreadsheet may be wrong and if you were running the show things would be better.

man_utd_4l

New

Post by man_utd_4l » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Baylor School of Law (information separated between spring, summer, and fall starts)

http://www.baylor.edu/law/ps/index.php?id=74827

Stetson Law Entering Class (information as of first day of class)

http://www.stetson.edu/law/about/home/profile.php

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:23 pm

re: Stanford. Here is how I got those numbers.

Someone who I trust entirely was told these numbers by the Stanford Admissions Office.

Why aren't I certain of them then? Because in just about every single year I have done this, going on 14, I have heard admissions offices misquoting their own numbers. I called SMU two days ago and explained I was looking for their most recent medians from the entering class of 2013 and what did they give me, the numbers from 2012. Le Sigh.

So until Faye Deal puts it in writing I can't be 100% sure. But since the Stanford numbers were different from last year, and since it came from the admissions office, I feel pretty confident they are indeed accurate.

I hope this helps a bit!

Mike

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:42 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:re: Stanford. Here is how I got those numbers.

Someone who I trust entirely was told these numbers by the Stanford Admissions Office.

Why aren't I certain of them then? Because in just about every single year I have done this, going on 14, I have heard admissions offices misquoting their own numbers. I called SMU two days ago and explained I was looking for their most recent medians from the entering class of 2013 and what did they give me, the numbers from 2012. Le Sigh.

So until Faye Deal puts it in writing I can't be 100% sure. But since the Stanford numbers were different from last year, and since it came from the admissions office, I feel pretty confident they are indeed accurate.

I hope this helps a bit!

Mike
Thank you Mike! Any word back from LSAC on score release date?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 pm

man_utd_4l wrote: Stetson Law Entering Class (information as of first day of class)

710 full-time Jd students :|

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 pm

californiauser wrote:
man_utd_4l wrote: Stetson Law Entering Class (information as of first day of class)

At least it's only 224 in the 1l class, which is down from 296 last year.

EDIT: Including part time it's 269, so maybe not such a great improvement. Still, class of 2012 had 341 graduates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm

sublime wrote:
californiauser wrote:

Numbers aren't as bad as you would expect though. They pretty much run central florida, and IIRC, have a higher employment score than UF. They are, however, more expensive.
Dude, no. If you work for Stetson admissions you can obviously ignore this and nice work doing your job, but otherwise you can't say stuff like this on TLS. It's 2013. Fill in the blank TTT "runs X state/region" is a statement that messed over too many lives. Stetson doesn't run anything. They do not run central Florida. Also, the fact that their employment score is better than UF only suggests what some of us have been saying all along: LST is a great tool but its not the end all be all because employment outcomes are contextual, depending on the particular goal of each student.

Stetsons ok, but UF is a much better school. Neither school runs anything outside of their campus.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Do we need to send any edits to anyone or can I just put it in the spreadsheet myself? Got 2 sets of medians, one TTT and one TTTT. I know you all are just dying to know them.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
californiauser wrote:

At least it's only 224 in the 1l class, which is down from 296 last year.

EDIT: Including part time it's 269, so maybe not such a great improvement. Still, class of 2012 had 341 graduates.
Any progress is good progress.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
sublime wrote:
californiauser wrote:

Numbers aren't as bad as you would expect though. They pretty much run central florida, and IIRC, have a higher employment score than UF. They are, however, more expensive.
Dude, no. If you work for Stetson admissions you can obviously ignore this and nice work doing your job, but otherwise you can't say stuff like this on TLS. It's 2013. Fill in the blank TTT "runs X state/region" is a statement that messed over too many lives. Stetson doesn't run anything. They do not run central Florida. Also, the fact that their employment score is better than UF only suggests what some of us have been saying all along: LST is a great tool but its not the end all be all because employment outcomes are contextual, depending on the particular goal of each student.

Stetsons ok, but UF is a much better school. Neither school runs anything outside of their campus.
What are we missing that LST isn't providing us?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”