Chinese student: advice on Admission Consultant

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iamvampire

Chinese student: advice on Admission Consultant

Postby iamvampire » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:42 am

Hello, everyone. As a Chinese student, I was considering finding a admission consultant for my law school application. My LSAT is 165 and GPA 3.9. I want some professional guys to edit my PS and recommendation letter draft, as well as give me some information about law schools and other trivial technical questions. Admitted, most of the information are available on TLS, but it will take me so much time to search answer for each of my questions, most of which might be stupid to native Americans. Do anybody know some trusty consultants or consulting group good at helping foreign student like me?? Thanks a lot!

Re: Chinese student: advice on Admission Consultant

Postby 20141023 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:54 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
iamvampire wrote:Hello, everyone. As a Chinese student, I was considering finding a admission consultant for my law school application. My LSAT is 165 and GPA 3.9. I want some professional guys to edit my PS and recommendation letter draft, as well as give me some information about law schools and other trivial technical questions. Admitted, most of the information are available on TLS, but it will take me so much time to search answer for each of my questions, most of which might be stupid to native Americans. Do anybody know some trusty consultants or consulting group good at helping foreign student like me?? Thanks a lot!

If making threads on TLS and talking to people on here isn't enough, then:

1. Ask questions here
2. If more personalized attention is required, go here

this is what we on TLS believe

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 am

retake for 170+

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:05 am

Spivey Consulting.

indo

Postby indo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:43 am

Clearly wrote:Spivey Consulting.

+1 here is Spivey website.

http://www.spiveyconsulting.com

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:03 pm

I want some professional guys to edit my PS

indo wrote:

Do you have one of these? I loan them to clients.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:17 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
I want some professional guys to edit my PS

indo wrote:

Do you have one of these? I loan them to clients.

Your clients don't have J keys?

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 pm

I want some professional guys to edit my PS and recommendation letter draft

Hey man,
I am born in China and I know how recommendation letter always becomes "you-draft-and-recommender-sign" style in Chinese universities (and also high schools when people apply to undergrad in US), but please ... this is not right, and do not explicitly mention that you want someone to edit your recommendation letter draft. You should not have access to the recommendation letter, not to mention to edit the LoR.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:03 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
NapoleonXV wrote:

Hey man,
I am born in China and I know how recommendation letter always becomes "you-draft-and-recommender-sign" style in Chinese universities (and also high schools when people apply to undergrad in US), but please ... this is not right, and do not explicitly mention that you want someone to edit your recommendation letter draft. You should not have access to the recommendation letter, not to mention to edit the LoR.

Actually, although you shouldn't be the one writing your own LoRs, it is extremely common (and completely ethical) for your recommenders to ask you to review what they wrote for you before sending them off.

I definitely didnt see any of my LoRs. Not sure its quite that common a practice -- tons of ppl on TLS do it, but we have a bit of a neurotic edge here; NO one I know irl saw or drafted their own letters

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
NapoleonXV wrote:

Hey man,

Actually, although you shouldn't be the one writing your own LoRs, it is extremely common (and completely ethical) for your recommenders to ask you to review what they wrote for you before sending them off.

I definitely didnt see any of my LoRs. Not sure its quite that common a practice -- tons of ppl on TLS do it, but we have a bit of a neurotic edge here; NO one I know irl saw or drafted their own letters

It is an extremely common practice. I work with many students every year, and there are always a dozen or so who end up writing a draft of their own letter. It's obviously frowned upon if it's found out, but at the very least you're not breaking any specific thing you signed since you just waive your right to see the letter which is different than waving any ability to see the letter.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:29 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
NapoleonXV wrote:

Hey man,

I suspect it's probably more common for professional letters. Bosses don't write LORs every day like professors do. I know mine showed me my letters.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”