When to ask professors for letter of rec?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ballsoharduniversity

When to ask professors for letter of rec?

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm graduating early this semester but am studying abroad, so I won't be back on campus ever after this December, unless I go up to visit my friends that are graduating on time. I had a professor last semester that I really connected with that I want to ask to write a letter of rec. The problem is that I am not applying for this upcoming cycle, but the next (Fall 2014). When would be the appropriate time to ask my professor about a letter of rec? I don't want to ask too late and have her forget about me, but I don't want to ask too early when I'm not applying for this upcoming cycle. Anyone know what the best course of action would be?

eerie_erie

Re: When to ask professors for letter of rec?

Postby eerie_erie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Ask early and just explain your timing situation. Most profs rather write it while things are fresh.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Get the letter now and have them submit it to LSAC. They keep it on file with your account for five years

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Get letter now. You can ask them to update it come October with new information from your end. Even if they don't update it for you, you have a letter you can use. If they do update it for you, they remember you better from their own writing.

GuyLafleur

Postby GuyLafleur » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:42 pm

I have a question too:

Are your LORs just generically-adressed letters (eg. "to whom it may concern") written as to why you would be a good fit for law school/a career in law? Or are they supposed to be tailored to each school you apply to?

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 pm

GuyLafleur wrote:I have a question too:

Are your LORs just generically-adressed letters (eg. "to whom it may concern") written as to why you would be a good fit for law school/a career in law? Or are they supposed to be tailored to each school you apply to?

Generic is best 98% of the time

GuyLafleur

Postby GuyLafleur » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 pm

I've sent my LOR requests to my recommenders by e-mail.

Will the form they need to send along with the LOR be included in the e-mail that was sent to them? Or will I need to print out the form myself, and mail or scan + e-mail it to them?

ballsoharduniversity

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:26 pm

nugnoy wrote:Get letter now. You can ask them to update it come October with new information from your end. Even if they don't update it for you, you have a letter you can use. If they do update it for you, they remember you better from their own writing.

So does this mean I should pay for CAS now? It says on the LSAC website you should register and pay for CAS 4-6 weeks before your first law school deadline, but I'm assuming if I want my professors to be able to upload their letters earlier than that, I should register for CAS now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”