Law School And Diversity

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ElectricSheep

Law School And Diversity

Postby ElectricSheep » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:16 pm

I received some information about different law schools around the nation lately through the mail. All of them have a small booklet specifically about diversity.

Why do law schools pride themselves on diversity or try so hard to appeal to other nationalities? I never understood this. I thought getting a J.D. and being a lawyer should be what skills you have or gained that you can use in the court of law. If law schools wanted people who grew up in a certain background to provide a certain perspective, couldn't other students/people just read about it or maybe do research on feminist literary criticism theory, etc.?
Last edited by ElectricSheep on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RELIC

Re: Law School And Diversity

Postby RELIC » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:18 pm

ElectricSheep wrote:I received some information about different law schools around the nation lately through the mail. All of them have a small booklet specifically about diversity.

Why do law schools pride themselves on diversity or try so hard to appeal to other nationalities? I never understood this. I thought getting a J.D. and being a lawyer should be what skills you have or gained that you can use in the court of law. If law schools wanted people who grew up in a certain background to provide a certain perspective, couldn't other students/people just read about it or maybe do research on feminist literary criticism theory, etc.?

You are trolling too hard. You need to go a little softer so it is more believable.

IBTL

ElectricSheep

Postby ElectricSheep » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm not trolling anyone if that is the reason you are not giving me an answer. I assure you. It may seem like a ridiculous question but I just wanted to know why. If my OP was too harsh in any way, I meant it not to offend anyone.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Maybe you should Google and read up on the benefits of diversity first.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Okay I will play along with this. There are many moral and social justifications for diversity programs but I think most people agree that the real motivator (at the law school level) is economic. Law firms and their large corporate clients care about diversity. Specifically they want to have a work force that is diverse and reflects the general population. Law schools use their diversity programs to 1) demonstrate that they are committed to the same goal as those firms and their clients, 2) produce graduates that have a better chance of being successful with those firms and their clients. In turn, this gets the law schools prestige (for having successful graduates) and establishes a favorable reputation with firms and the legal community at large. Hopefully that will attract future students and donations from successful alumni.

ElectricSheep

Postby ElectricSheep » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:43 pm

RELIC wrote:Okay I will play along with this. There are many moral and social justifications for diversity programs but I think most people agree that the real motivator (at the law school level) is economic. Law firms and their large corporate clients care about diversity. Specifically they want to have a work force that is diverse and reflects the general population. Law schools use their diversity programs to 1) demonstrate that they are committed to the same goal as those firms and their clients, 2) produce graduates that have a better chance of being successful with those firms and their clients. In turn, this gets the law schools prestige (for having successful graduates) and establishes a favorable reputation with firms and the legal community at large. Hopefully that will attract future students and donations from successful alumni.

Okay that makes sense. I thought at first that it was sort of a moral obligation on their part (not to sound mean or anything) so that the school won't come off as discriminatory if based on statistic.

I think your last sentence answered my question though. If law schools wanted to attract more students, donations, and successful alumni, I'm assuming and guessing that diversity will attract more prospective applicants.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”