Recommendations from an attorney/mentor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Blueberrypie

Recommendations from an attorney/mentor

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:52 pm

I interned with an attorney and still keep I touch. I haven't been able to do as much this year though. She mentors me...and I learned a lot. I think it would look good that I interned with a prominent attorney at 18-20 and the circumstances by which we met makes an interesting story and says a lot about my character. Now I haven't asked the attorney to write a recommendation, but assuming she agrees I have one dilemma. My top school Columbia specifically ask for 2 recommendations and prefers them to be from professors. Would it hurt to send in a third? I know I can call them,but I wanted some advice first. Does this also look good or give an applicant a small edge if they have some experience especially since its hard for undergrads to get a internship with a law firm or a lawyer willing to give them their time?

Thanks for the advice!

Ti Malice

Re: Recommendations from an attorney/mentor

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Having interned with lawyers/law firms is not nearly as uncommon as you might think. Also, law schools don't give any bump to applicants for having done anything law-related before law school. This LOR would almost assuredly make zero difference for your app, but it's fine if you send it in as a third LOR, unless CLS makes it explicit that they don't want more than two (don't think that was the case when I applied). But your first two LORs should be from professors; to the extent that law schools care at all about LORs, they strongly prefer letters from professors who have evaluated your academic work.

bimmer11

Postby bimmer11 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Having interned with lawyers/law firms is not nearly as uncommon as you might think. Also, law schools don't give any bump to applicants for having done anything law-related before law school. This LOR would almost assuredly make zero difference for your app, but it's fine if you send it in as a third LOR, unless CLS makes it explicit that they don't want more than two (don't think that was the case when I applied). But your first two LORs should be from professors; to the extent that law schools care at all about LORs, they strongly prefer letters from professors who have evaluated your academic work.

Agreed. The bump (if any) would come from FT employment, whether it is in a law office or not. An internship is a good thing to have, but in this case it probably makes zero difference.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Okay thanks for the answers...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”