Rolling Stone article on student loan debt

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
J. R. Capablanca

Rolling Stone article on student loan debt

Postby J. R. Capablanca » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 am ... l-20130815

The above article in Rolling Stone should be required reading for anyone considering law school. The following paragraph in particular stuck out at me, please give it some thought.

"We're doing the worst thing people can do: lying to our young. Nobody, not even this president, who was swept to victory in large part by the raw enthusiasm of college kids, has the stones to tell the truth: that a lot of them will end up being pawns in a predatory con game designed to extract the equivalent of home-mortgage commitment from 17-year-olds dreaming of impossible careers as nautical archaeologists or orchestra conductors. One former law student I contacted for this story had a nervous breakdown while struggling to pay off six-figure debt. It wasn't until he tapped into one of the few growth industries open to young Americans that his outlook brightened. "I got my life back on track by working for a marijuana delivery service in Manhattan," he says. "I've had to compromise who I am . . . because I started down a path that I couldn't turn away from. Student loans aren't hope. They're despair."

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Rolling Stone article on student loan debt

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:54 am

One thread per topic, please.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”