Applying to a tier 1 or 2 law school with aspergers. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolbfun

New

Applying to a tier 1 or 2 law school with aspergers.

Post by lawschoolbfun » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm a 30 year old professional very interested in applying to law school with aspergers. My ideal choice would be either a tier 1, or 2 one. My educational background is a bachelors' in liberal arts from the University of Connecticut (C -plus) gpa range with 6 years of very comprehensive (financial management) experience.

My college experience can best described as translational where I had teach myself to learn. Any law school reviewing my transcripts would see I struggled early in large classes that tested only by means of standardized testing. However, I performed very well 3.0 or higher in classes that where heavily graded based on writing and project requirements. As a result, my strengths have enabled me to build a strong resume since graduation. (As a side note, I have strong reccomendations too at both the educational and professional levels).

My primary questions here are where do I stand in terms of being accepted into quality law schools and where shouldnt I apply to either. I would appreciate some thoughts on my background.

Other questions
- what top tier 1/2 law schools could be potential fits
-what law schools would disqualify me immediately
-how many should I apply for in total
- would law school be with my time

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Applying to a tier 1 or 2 law school with aspergers.

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 pm

I didn't know schools could have aspergers.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:04 pm

lawschoolbfun wrote:
My college experience can best described as translational where I had teach myself to learn. Any law school reviewing my transcripts would see I struggled early in large classes that tested only by means of standardized testing. However, I performed very well 3.0 or higher in classes that where heavily graded based on writing and project requirements.
You know law school classes are graded on one 4-8 hour exam right?

jkhalfa

Bronze

Post by jkhalfa » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:31 pm

A C+ is what, 2.25? You can pretty much forget about any top tier schools

CFprez

New

Post by CFprez » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Not to be discouraging- I have a friend with aspergers and I know that can make some academic portions tough. These responses are kinda mean but honest. If you have a hard time with standarized tests the lsat will be really tough. Your gpa will keep you out of almost all schools worth going to. Law schools are suckers for numbers. Why don't you apply for an mba? Why do you want to be a lawyer? Business schools will weigh your work experience more than law schools will

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:14 pm

CFprez wrote:Not to be discouraging- I have a friend with aspergers and I know that can make some academic portions tough. These responses are kinda mean but honest. If you have a hard time with standarized tests the lsat will be really tough. Your gpa will keep you out of almost all schools worth going to. Law schools are suckers for numbers. Why don't you apply for an mba? Why do you want to be a lawyer? Business schools will weigh your work experience more than law schools will
+1 for this post. OP, thanks for being open enough to share with a community that overwhelmingly shows little-to-no sympathy or are too blunt at best. I would be curious to know why you want to go to law school too, but not any more so than any other person who would simply post their numbers to a thread asking what their chances were. Unfortunately, they too would receive the same line of responses. I hope that everything works out for you.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Most tier 1 and tier 2 schools aren't worth attending. You make more now, most likely, than you would as a lawyer. Moreover, every one of your 1L courses will be in large classes with curved exams, so if this isn't one of your strengths, you're not going to succeed at the only year of law school that matters.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 pm

I was diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder as a child and it luckily didn't follow me to adulthood. With your GPA and the potential difficulties that you'll have with test taking (trust me, RC on the LSAT will RUIN YOUR LIFE) law school is probably not the best option for you. Continue building that resume, building your network, and being successful in your own right.

What do you want to do with a law degree? If you're into public interest or something along those lines, you'll make much more of an impact just succeeding in business and working w/o a law degree with autism/aspergers groups. If you want biglaw, it probably won't happen with where your GPA and potential LSAT score will get you in. It doesn't mean that you're a worse person, it just means that with what you've done so far, the next steps for you should be something other than law school. Best of luck!!!!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I didn't know schools could have aspergers.

(grammar nazi)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:37 pm

My exposure with the Autism Spectrum is mostly limited to the 2-5 year old set, so I do not have much info that would likely be helpful. But I do have a question. Do the label changes in the newly released DSM-5 impact you?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Hey OP, I am autistic, received special education since I was 3, until teens, am considering LS, PM me if you want to talk

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:14 am

Recommendations from college professors, even though you graduated 6+ years ago?

Pretty impressive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”