Average LSAT score paying for T2 vs. Great scholarship at T3

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alazar14

Average LSAT score paying for T2 vs. Great scholarship at T3

Postby alazar14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Greetings everyone, ----------------- If you don't want background information just skip to the section under the ---------------------------------------- Thanks!

I just joined the forum today and find myself in quite a predicament regarding my LSAT score and law school application perspectives.

First a little bit of background about myself

I am 26 and have received my B.A in Communication Studies — Persuasion, Nonverbal, Cultural, Rhetorical, social scientific approach NOT MEDIA — from a Top 5 communication undergrad program. I have also recently graduated with my M.A in Communication from a Top 4 program. I have very good changes of attending some of the top Ph.D programs in the nation for my major and likely wouldn't have to much trouble obtaining an academic job at a respectable university upon completion.

Undergrad GPA - 3.45 --- Grad GPA 3.83

With that said, my main research interest during my M.A was Political / Environmental communication. I presented several conference papers regarding these two topics one of which received a best conference paper award and is currently being slightly revised for potential publication in an academic journal.

- I should also mention that I graduated with my B.A and M.A with absolutely zero debt.

I have always been interested in law school but for very different reasons than some people might normally be. As an avid environmentalist, occupy movement organizer, and active member and volunteer of several environmental and progressive organizations — Move to Amend, Wolf-PAC, Sierra Club — I normally get to experience first hand what happens in the court rooms with regards to environmental protection law, corporate violation of regulation, and in the case of some extreme environmentalists criminal trials. I am indeed very passionate about protecting the environment and it was one of my many motivating reasons to attend graduate school and research about the laws and politics surrounding it. This is why I want to attend law school. I want to be able to work for non profit or public organizations dedicated to protecting the environment.

- I am a first generation college student: Hispanic / Latino

I also want to live in Montana and practice law in this state.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that that's out of the way I will get to the point of this post.

I just received my LSAT score of 160 It is well in the range of many T2 close to T1 Law schools such as the University of Alabama ranked 21 and maybe even George Washington University ranked 21. In all likelihood I will probably have to pay tuition at these schools if I were to be accepted.

With that said, there is an alternative option for me, one which may be a bit more affordable and regional within the area I want to practice and specialized specifically for my interests.

The University of Montana law school ranked 113 is likely a place where I would be accepted as the Median LSAT score is a 154. Students who score a 157 or above typically get some form of scholarship. Students who score well above the 157 mark typically get a very generous scholarship from the school (i.e., 1-2 years full tuition paid). After speaking with a person in admissions I was told that the chance of me getting a very good scholarship would be very high.

I am also considering the fact that UM has a joint M.S in Environmental Studies and J.D degree focusing on environmental law. These two fit perfectly into my interest and Montana was already the state in which I wanted to practice law. Over 90% of the practicing lawyers in MT are from UM. This is not surprising considering its the only law school in the state. Employment statistics for the school are roughly about on par with most reputable law schools not in the T20. Bar exam passing rates are above 90%.

The three things that are selling me right now are

1. Scholarships
2. Environmental Studies M.A degree within the 4 year period I finish my J.D (i.e., I would be able to not only practice law but teach EnVST at the community college / University level in addition to being able to already teach Communication).
3. Cheap tuition $11,200/year (realistically after books, health insurance fee, etc $12,700) — Year 3 EnVST would be standard graduate tuition roughly $6000.

I did a little bit of math and If all goes well I could potentially finish the M.A/J.D program at UM for roughly $50,000 in debt — plus obvious interests. Now salaries are not as large in MT either, given that the average law school graduate over the years who started working at a small law firm made only about $50,000. Salaries for those doing what I want to do which is Public / government work was closer to $45,000. After using a cost of living calculator this comes out to roughly $50,000 MT salary - $65,000 Southern CA salary or compared to Manhattan a $45,000 salary in MT has the buying power of a $92,000 salary in Manhattan. It may not be an impressive salary but within the context of the state it is a good life. My Fiance currently has her B.S in Public health and would be willing to pay most of the bills while I attend law school as long as I am willing to do the same when she decides to attend her graduate program after I complete the M.A/J.D.

Alternatively going to a school like George Washington would put me in roughly $170,000 in debt.

What do you guys think?

Is it a good choice to go to a Tier 3 law school in some instances such as this where I want to practice regionally and not nationally? Would you say my situation is one where going to UM would actually be a better choice for my personal goals / interests than possibly getting into a high ranking Tier 2 school?

I look forward to hearing some great and thoughtful responses.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read.

phillywc

Re: Average LSAT score paying for T2 vs. Great scholarship at T3

Postby phillywc » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Because you want to practice in Montana, your 3.45/160 is acceptable. I'm not sure what Montana's GPA median is, but if you above it you should expect a generous scholly. Keep in mind that you want get the prestigious jobs coming from UMontana.

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:34 pm

If you are from Montana (in all your mountain of text, I don't believe you said where you're from, tho I might be mistaken) and want to work there, going to UM for free or near free is a great idea. A much better idea than going to GW or Alabama, which are really, like UM, just good regional schools that don't carry far nationally.

But do know that there are TONS of people who are gunning for prestigious environmental PI stuff, that there are very few jobs, especially for recent grads, and those go to HYS students.

sasquatchsam

Postby sasquatchsam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Not to bust your bubble but I just wanted to comment on scholarships at UM. It is my understanding that most scholarships are used for out of state residents. They are typically used to waive out of state tuition costs for non-residents. If you look at the LSAC data, there are only 17 students with more than half tuition scholarships at UM (for all three years combined). That means you will need to be in the top 7% of applicants. As an anecdote, I know a female minority who just graduated from a similarly situated law school as Montana (rural state with a single school). GPA was 4.0+ and LSAT was I believe 163. She received no scholarship offer. Your GPA is below median but your LSAT is slightly above 75% so you should be fine for admissions and might even be offered a decent scholarship but I wouldn't count on full tuition. That being said in state tuition is $11k at Montana so you should be fine.

If you are set on environmental law I would also consider applying to Lewis and Clark. They are relatively close to Montana and offer a highly regarded environmental law program. I wouldn't go without a good scholly though.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:58 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:
If you are set on environmental law I would also consider applying to Lewis and Clark. They are relatively close to Montana and offer a highly regarded environmental law program. I wouldn't go without a good scholly though.

And it's time for another round of "0L, L&C Shill, or Troll"

alazar14

Postby alazar14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:16 pm

jselson wrote:If you are from Montana (in all your mountain of text, I don't believe you said where you're from, tho I might be mistaken) and want to work there, going to UM for free or near free is a great idea. A much better idea than going to GW or Alabama, which are really, like UM, just good regional schools that don't carry far nationally.

But do know that there are TONS of people who are gunning for prestigious environmental PI stuff, that there are very few jobs, especially for recent grads, and those go to HYS students.

I am from CA. I would have to move to MT but my Fiance has already agreed to pay more than half of our expenses when we move there (assuming she can land a job with her B.S in Public health). In return I would do the same for her when she pursues her Pharmacy degree at UM. I am not after a highly prestigious job at all. A nice Middle class Montana job that involves doing some good would be enough for me. I am also keeping in mind the fact that I have an M.A in communication, will have an M.S in Environmental Studies (If I attend UM) and a J.D. I also have several years of experience in an office setting, political setting (internships with Mayors around Southern CA) and in the environmental scene (Active member of Sierra club) so I don't have to go into legal work if an opportunity opens up in another field. That is the beauty of the degree at UM, it provides me two degrees in a 4 year period. If the law degree doesn't yield a good enough bite I can cast the line with the M.S or my current M.A. Best of all, I would have very little debt.

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:24 pm

alazar14 wrote:
jselson wrote:If you are from Montana (in all your mountain of text, I don't believe you said where you're from, tho I might be mistaken) and want to work there, going to UM for free or near free is a great idea. A much better idea than going to GW or Alabama, which are really, like UM, just good regional schools that don't carry far nationally.

I am from CA. I would have to move to MT but my Fiance has already agreed to pay more than half of our expenses when we move there (assuming she can land a job with her B.S in Public health). In return I would do the same for her when she pursues her Pharmacy degree at UM. I am not after a highly prestigious job at all. A nice Middle class Montana job that involves doing some good would be enough for me. I am also keeping in mind the fact that I have an M.A in communication, will have an M.S in Environmental Studies (If I attend UM) and a J.D. I also have several years of experience in an office setting, political setting (internships with Mayors around Southern CA) and in the environmental scene (Active member of Sierra club) so I don't have to go into legal work if an opportunity opens up in another field. That is the beauty of the degree at UM, it provides me two degrees in a 4 year period. If the law degree doesn't yield a good enough bite I can cast the line with the M.S or my current M.A. Best of all, I would have very little debt.

Do you have any ties to MT? Have you worked there before? Any family? Usually non-major market regions are pretty insular.

alazar14

Postby alazar14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:31 pm

jselson wrote:
alazar14 wrote:

Do you have any ties to MT? Have you worked there before? Any family? Usually non-major market regions are pretty insular.

I do not. I am Mexican American and first generation college student so most of my family is in the southern CA area. I do have a friend in Montana but he is not in the legal field at all. He does engineering work. I have never had a problem networking or finding employment in Southern CA though. It is likely to be difficult in MT so I am hoping my work experience helps to make me a competitive applicant.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm

The 3rd option is to retake the lsat. Improving your score another 7 points would give you a lot more options and increase your scholarship offers. I would recommend taking an in-person prep course (if you can still get into one) and retaking in October.

hohenheim

Postby hohenheim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:39 pm

alazar14 wrote:Undergrad GPA - 3.45
LSAT score of 160 It is well in the range of many T2 close to T1 Law schools such as the University of Alabama ranked 21 and maybe even George Washington University ranked 21. In all likelihood I will probably have to pay tuition at these schools if I were to be accepted.

I'm not trying to endorse the T1 route, but just wanted to point out to OP that he does not stand a chance of being admitted at GW, or Alabama for that matter, without a retake. He is well below median for both GPA and LSAT. A mid-160 score could open them up as an option at sticker, but they are not realistic considerations at this point. See myLSN.info. You'll need a high 160 to get into scholarship range, I would think (though even then the splitter GPA might hold you back)

Also, genuinely interested in why OP is so interested in moving to Montana without pre-existing connection. It can be a really beautiful place, but it is also kind of a random location to just pick up and move to. What's the draw?

EDIT: You're URM, why didn't you mention this more prominently (or at all) in the OP?
Last edited by hohenheim on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alazar14

Postby alazar14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:40 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:The 3rd option is to retake the lsat. Improving your score another 7 points would give you a lot more options and increase your scholarship offers. I would recommend taking an in-person prep course (if you can still get into one) and retaking in October.

Honestly I don't think that's going to happen. My first LSAT baseline practice test was a 142 first real test was a 153 after studying for about 3 months. This is my second attempt at around a 6 month study period at 160. I honestly don't feel like I could do better.

alazar14

Postby alazar14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm

hohenheim wrote:
LSAT score of 160 It is well in the range of many T2 close to T1 Law schools such as the University of Alabama ranked 21 and maybe even George Washington University ranked 21. In all likelihood I will probably have to pay tuition at these schools if I were to be accepted.

I'm not trying to endorse the T1 route, but just wanted to point out to OP that he does not stand a chance of being admitted at GW, or Alabama for that matter, without a retake. He is well below median for both GPA and LSAT. A mid-160 score could open them up as an option at sticker, but they are not realistic considerations at this point. See myLSN.info. You'll need a high 160 to get into scholarship range, I would think (though even then the splitter GPA might hold you back)

Also, genuinely interested in why OP is so interested in moving to Montana without pre-existing connection. It can be a really beautiful place, but it is also kind of a random location to just pick up and move to. What's the draw?

EDIT: You're URM, why didn't you mention this more prominently (or at all) in the OP?

1st. I did mention I am URM
2nd. I also mentioned that I would likely have to pay full price at GWU or Alabama if I got in. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job at specifying the full tuition though and the fact they would be my reach schools.
3rd. Think of it silly if you must ... I am following a dream I have had for 10 years. I'll leave it at that.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Just for clarification: Tier 1 usually means Top 50.

alazar14 wrote:3rd. Think of it silly if you must ... I am following a dream I have had for 10 years. I'll leave it at that.

There's nothing inherently silly about wanting to practice law in Montana, it's just a little random. Have you lived there before?
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hohenheim

Postby hohenheim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:48 pm

alazar14 wrote:
hohenheim wrote:

1st. I did mention I am URM
2nd. I also mentioned that I would likely have to pay full price at GWU or Alabama if I got in. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job at specifying the full tuition though and the fact they would be my reach schools.
3rd. Think of it silly if you must ... I am following a dream I have had for 10 years. I'll leave it at that.

1. No you didn't. You said hispanic/latino which may or may not get a boost. Only MA and PR hispanics are considered URMs
2. My original point was that a 3.45/160 non-URM has zero chance of admittance at those schools. The URM status obviously changes that.
3. Uh, I said "genuinely interested" because I actually wanted to know why you're targeting it.

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:50 pm

alazar14 wrote:
jselson wrote:
alazar14 wrote:

I do not. I am Mexican American and first generation college student so most of my family is in the southern CA area. I do have a friend in Montana but he is not in the legal field at all. He does engineering work. I have never had a problem networking or finding employment in Southern CA though. It is likely to be difficult in MT so I am hoping my work experience helps to make me a competitive applicant.

You should speak to current students and alumni of the school to find out about the necessity of ties to the area. The last thing you want to do is move to a small regional market, find out that strong ties are necessary, and not be able to use your degree anywhere else. If strong ties are necessary, but living and working in Montana's the dream, you may want to consider relocating there for a year or two before applying. Maybe a job with BLM?
Last edited by jselson on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Just to let you know OP, Mexican Americans get a pretty nice stats boost for Law School admissions. Retaking the LSAT could also help you out a little bit.

alazar14

Postby alazar14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Yes I agree, I was planning to relocate there for a year before applying :)

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:53 pm

alazar14 wrote:Yes I agree, I was planning to relocate there for a year before applying :)

Cool, man, sounds like you've thought it through, good luck.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:03 pm

alazar14 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:The 3rd option is to retake the lsat. Improving your score another 7 points would give you a lot more options and increase your scholarship offers. I would recommend taking an in-person prep course (if you can still get into one) and retaking in October.

Honestly I don't think that's going to happen. My first LSAT baseline practice test was a 142 first real test was a 153 after studying for about 3 months. This is my second attempt at around a 6 month study period at 160. I honestly don't feel like I could do better.

Did you use any type of test prep or just self study? My 1st official lsat was a 159. I'm currently doing an in-person blueprint course and I will be retaking in October and I'm pretty confident I'll score in the upper 160's.

alazar14

Postby alazar14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
alazar14 wrote:

Did you use any type of test prep or just self study? My 1st official lsat was a 159. I'm currently doing an in-person blueprint course and I will be retaking in October and I'm pretty confident I'll score in the upper 160's.

Online study guides, and Kaplan LSAT premier as well as a book of logic games.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Well if you think improving your score is out I'd definately consider all of your options and see what your employment opportunities will look like in Montana before committing. Good luck in whatever you choose.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:19 pm

If you're gonna move there for a year first to establish residency anyway, it might not hurt to retake the LSAT in your extra time. That said, Montana is a perfectly good school if that's where you want to work, and I'm jealous of that in-state tuition.

People have mentioned concerns about not having ties, but if you live there for a year first and you can say in interviews that you've wanted to move to Montana for years, finally did, then went to law school a year later, you'll probably be fine, at least in the bigger towns where the jobs are. You may not have the personal network set up that some folks will, but bust your ass in school and you should be okay. If all else fails, it's probably going to be easier to set up a general practice solo firm in a Montana town with a few or no existing attorneys than most other places, and the low debt load will make that realistic.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm

I'd go back and study ecology, geology, or environmental engineering instead.

alazar14

Postby alazar14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:09 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I'd go back and study ecology, geology, or environmental engineering instead.

I have not completely ruled out going for a Ph.D in Environmental Communication or Environmental Studies. I will be applying to several schools some for law and others for Environmental studies, others for Communication. I know I have a really good opportunity to get into a top 5 communication Ph.D. With that said, it's a lot harder to make a living in a state with only two universities (i.e., two places I can apply to do research work in) as a professional academic than a lawyer. (Ph.D programs are also 100% free while you research which is a plus).

As I said, nothing is out of the question yet but when considering long term opportunity in the rural state of MT the Ph.D doesn't have as much flexibility as multiple Master's degrees and a J.D. If I had dreams of living in New York State, New England area, or staying in CA I think the Ph.D would probably be the better choice, but not in a rural state.

In terms of Ecology, EnvST is a multidisciplinary degree that can include a focus in Biological Sciences, Social Sciences, or Humanities. I was already planning to focus on Ecology / Sustainable agriculture (i.e., Biological Sciences).

Being 100% honest with myself, I would never be able to study Environmental Engineering. I am quite terrible at math. My GRE scores were 160/170 Verbal 5.5/6 Writing and a pathetic 145/170 math. I do have a lot of friends and family who are engineers though! It's a great career with a very low unemployment rate and high salary ... if you can manage it. ;-)

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:28 pm

alazar14 wrote:Online study guides, and Kaplan LSAT premier as well as a book of logic games.

Depending on what you mean by "online study guides" and "a book of logic games," there is likely to still be room for meaningful improvement in your score. You studied for a long time, but that is not the same as studying well. You'd be surprised how much wheel-spinning can happen in LSAT prep. If you're thoroughly convinced you cannot improve your score then fine, but it's worth evaluating if you actually did study as best you can. LSAT points can mean tens of thousands of dollars: you never want to sell yourself short.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”