Drop in Median LSAT Scores?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NYstate

Re: Drop in Median LSAT Scores?

Postby NYstate » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Harvard maintaining medians actually wouldn't surprise me. They've kinda been gunning for numbers candidates. Case in point: I was rejected from CCN, but in at H with 175/4.0.

But you've got to remember the counter-examples as well (Lavitz, sinfiery, etc.) :wink:

I think everyone with large class sizes will have trouble maintain their medians (GULC, NYU, Harvard, Columbia, etc.).

Lavitz is a mystery.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:10 pm

NYstate wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Harvard maintaining medians actually wouldn't surprise me. They've kinda been gunning for numbers candidates. Case in point: I was rejected from CCN, but in at H with 175/4.0.

But you've got to remember the counter-examples as well (Lavitz, sinfiery, etc.) :wink:

I think everyone with large class sizes will have trouble maintain their medians (GULC, NYU, Harvard, Columbia, etc.).

Lavitz is a mystery.

Seriously, his cycle keeps me up at night

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:15 pm

NYstate wrote:Lavitz is a mystery.

8)

Have you checked my LSN profile lately? I put as much info as possible in it. If that still doesn't solve the mystery then I don't know what else to say.

t-14orbust wrote:Seriously, his cycle keeps me up at night

Sorry. :?

Thanks for making this topic about me, kappycaft1.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Lavitz wrote:
NYstate wrote:Lavitz is a mystery.

8)

Have you checked my LSN profile lately? I put as much info as possible in it. If that still doesn't solve the mystery then I don't know what else to say.

t-14orbust wrote:Seriously, his cycle keeps me up at night

Sorry. :?

Thanks for making this topic about me, kappycaft1.

lol it's not your fault bro

Postby 20141023 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Anyone interested in starting a C/O 2016 median/class size thread? :)

Lavitz wrote:
KevinP wrote:Weird thing is a non-trivial number of law schools already posted their medians this time last year. Not sure why I can't even find one law school posting thier medians yet.

FWIW, I received a PM claiming that Vandy told their students at orientation that they had a 163-167-168 LSAT spread, with similar GPAs to last year. Unverified rumor at this point--maybe a Vandy student can chime in publicly. But if true, this would be a median drop of 2 LSAT points from last year.

2 LSAT points would be significant indeed, especially since Vandy has a pretty small class size.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:54 am

KevinP wrote:Anyone interested in starting a C/O 2016 median/class size thread? :)

Lavitz wrote:
KevinP wrote:Weird thing is a non-trivial number of law schools already posted their medians this time last year. Not sure why I can't even find one law school posting thier medians yet.

FWIW, I received a PM claiming that Vandy told their students at orientation that they had a 163-167-168 LSAT spread, with similar GPAs to last year. Unverified rumor at this point--maybe a Vandy student can chime in publicly. But if true, this would be a median drop of 2 LSAT points from last year.

2 LSAT points would be significant indeed, especially since Vandy has a pretty small class size.

Yes, would like to see this thread. It'll satisfy our curiosities (and might actually be useful for the C/O 17).

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 am

KevinP wrote:Anyone interested in starting a C/O 2016 median/class size thread? :)

Lavitz wrote:

Seriously should start the thread

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:14 am

I think most schools medians have dropped which is why they aren't posting them.
When are they required to report the medians? I' m assuming the ABA has a reporting requirement.
Maybe they want to wait until after applications open?

byronmullens

Postby byronmullens » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 am

I think as schools begin classes in the next few weeks the numbers will start to trickle out. However unlike in past years schools are not anxious to trumpet the incoming class. I'd predict that even at some top 25 schools we might see LSAT medians and class size decline. I'd bet that class size reductions will be more widespread this year across the board.

laww

Postby laww » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:08 am

I think LSAT scores are a better personal indicator than GPA.

Due to personal reasons (mom's medical issues, my own medical issues, etc.) my first two years of college were god awful but I managed to pull the final 2 years and did very well.

Also it is pretty unfair to judge by GPA when some schools don't curve grades. The average gpa for CS students at my school was a 3.3.

If it wasn't for my first two years I would have had a 3.5+ probably but due to some things that happened in my life I managed a 3.8 in the final 2 years of college and managed to pull a 3.23 in the end... calc 3.. never again lol. Where a 70% was considered good.. but still a C! D:

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:26 am

JUST FUCKING LOL AT THE LEGAL PROFESSION IN THE 21st CENTURY

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:27 am

laww wrote:I think LSAT scores are a better personal indicator than GPA.

Due to personal reasons (mom's medical issues, my own medical issues, etc.) my first two years of college were god awful but I managed to pull the final 2 years and did very well.

Also it is pretty unfair to judge by GPA when some schools don't curve grades. The average gpa for CS students at my school was a 3.3.

If it wasn't for my first two years I would have had a 3.5+ probably but due to some things that happened in my life I managed a 3.8 in the final 2 years of college and managed to pull a 3.23 in the end... calc 3.. never again lol. Where a 70% was considered good.. but still a C! D:

I disagree. Sometimes people don't have personal issues during college, but instead they spend their time drinking, socializing, and not showing up to class, and therefore they deserve their low GPA. At least a high GPA shows that you took your schooling seriously and didn't let anything get in your way (not saying your medical reasons aren't legitimate, just in general). Having a high LSAT shows you're probably smart enough to do the work in LS, having a high GPA shows that you likely will actually do the work. Some people managed to take hard majors/hard classes (even those that curve) and still get a high GPA, just like some people managed to score 175+ on the LSAT. It's annoying to me that people on this site assume that those with high GPAs must have taken easy classes or went to an easy school.
Last edited by NYC2012 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

laww

Postby laww » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 am

True, some people do deviate from their goals and waste their time or whatever.

However, it sucks that LSs won't look at my final 2 years of college... I managed 3.8+ and made Deans list. I had done badly in quite a few pre-req classes for some advanced classes like Linux Kernel (got a C in principles of OS 1, but A in Linux Kernel). I got almost all A's in my final 2 years in 300/400 level classes, worked on a final project that dealt with image recognition for sorting inventory, and generally did MUCH better.

Law schools will still only see my 3.23 UG/3.0 LSAC GPA. I'm going to write a personal statement, but won't they just push my application off the table when they see that GPA?

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 am

laww wrote:True, some people do deviate from their goals and waste their time or whatever.

However, it sucks that LSs won't look at my final 2 years of college... I managed 3.8+ and made Deans list. I had done badly in quite a few pre-req classes for some advanced classes like Linux Kernel (got a C in principles of OS 1, but A in Linux Kernel). I got almost all A's in my final 2 years in 300/400 level classes, worked on a final project that dealt with image recognition for sorting inventory, and generally did MUCH better.

Law schools will still only see my 3.23 UG/3.0 LSAC GPA. I'm going to write a personal statement, but won't they just push my application off the table when they see that GPA?

IDK if you watched the live Kaplan event the other night with the deans from Harvard/Penn/UVA/NYU but they all indicated that they do look for upwardly trends in grades! I really doubt if they see a low GPA they immediately will throw away an app. They still read your addendums, look for trends, etc.

laww

Postby laww » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:41 am

No I didn't watch it.

I've been studying for the LSAT haha :D

People on TLS told me not to even look at those schools you mentioned because I have no chance even if I get a 180.

There are so many people on lsn who have very high LSATs and lower GPA and they get rejected from those schools.

I'm hoping to get into Northwestern but even that is a stretch with a 3.0.. I'm averaging pretty high scores on the LSAT so I'm hoping the trend of less LSAT takers/lower LSAT scores works in my favor.

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:44 am

Hahahaha don't let TLS psych you out. You'll do great! With the medians dropping I think it's going to be a fun cycle for all of us!

laww

Postby laww » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:48 am

I read that it is possible to transfer after 1 year to a better school.

Now that my life has been going well for the past few years I hope maybe that is something I can look at working towards in the future :)

First step: get 180 :D

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:18 pm

laww wrote:I read that it is possible to transfer after 1 year to a better school.

Now that my life has been going well for the past few years I hope maybe that is something I can look at working towards in the future :)

First step: get 180 :D

DO NOT go to a school you would not be satisfied with graduating from. Everyone there will be busting their ass in order to transfer. Don't assume that you're special

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Cool thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”