Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What should I do?

Option A
0
No votes
Option B
23
85%
Option C
4
15%
Option D
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby AT9 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Need some advice please. Here are the basics: 163/3.83, polisci major, Big Ten undergrad, 2+ years quality WE, and non-URM. At the moment, my possible applications include: UF and FSU (FL resident), W&M, Emory, UGA, Houston, SMU, Bama, Minnesota, Wake Forest, UNC, and Tulane.

Dilemma: my wife is in her senior year of undergrad and we're paying tuition and all expenses out of pocket. So, we have pretty much no money left for applications or moving expenses when that time comes. I had planned to retake in October, which would have been early enough to apply, but work emergencies prevented me from fulfilling my study plan. Now it's too late study properly for Oct. As another quick note, my 163 was in June and it was my first time. The test went about as expected with the exception of -8 (?!) in LG when I was PT'ing around -4/-5. It kills me that just 2 more correct answers would have earned a 165, which somehow seems so much better. Enough of my rambling. Here are the options I'm considering:

Option A: Apply as usual to some of the schools above with no retake. Is there a decent chance any of those options would be a reasonable investment?

Option B: Wait out this cycle, retake, and apply next fall. Advantage being that I have a job and my wife will be able to start working after graduation, meaning we'd have the potential to save up enough for about a year's living expenses during law school. Downside being that my goal is prolonged another year longer.

Option C: Apply to my top 4-5 choices this cycle and see what happens; retake Dec/Feb and evaluate whether or not to reapply in the Spring.

Option D: Something else entirely (please describe below)...

For what it's worth, I'm not set on working Biglaw or anything. My preference would be to work in land use/environmental law or pursue a JAG program. Pretty open geographically speaking. Thanks for your help!

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby paglababa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:41 pm

AT9 wrote:Need some advice please. Here are the basics: 163/3.83, polisci major, Big Ten undergrad, 2+ years quality WE, and non-URM. At the moment, my possible applications include: UF and FSU (FL resident), W&M, Emory, UGA, Houston, SMU, Bama, Minnesota, Wake Forest, UNC, and Tulane.

Dilemma: my wife is in her senior year of undergrad and we're paying tuition and all expenses out of pocket. So, we have pretty much no money left for applications or moving expenses when that time comes. I had planned to retake in October, which would have been early enough to apply, but work emergencies prevented me from fulfilling my study plan. Now it's too late study properly for Oct. As another quick note, my 163 was in June and it was my first time. The test went about as expected with the exception of -8 (?!) in LG when I was PT'ing around -4/-5. It kills me that just 2 more correct answers would have earned a 165, which somehow seems so much better. Enough of my rambling. Here are the options I'm considering:

Option A: Apply as usual to some of the schools above with no retake. Is there a decent chance any of those options would be a reasonable investment?

Option B: Wait out this cycle, retake, and apply next fall. Advantage being that I have a job and my wife will be able to start working after graduation, meaning we'd have the potential to save up enough for about a year's living expenses during law school. Downside being that my goal is prolonged another year longer.

Option C: Apply to my top 4-5 choices this cycle and see what happens; retake Dec/Feb and evaluate whether or not to reapply in the Spring.

Option D: Something else entirely (please describe below)...

For what it's worth, I'm not set on working Biglaw or anything. My preference would be to work in land use/environmental law or pursue a JAG program. Pretty open geographically speaking. Thanks for your help!


Don't waste that gpa. Wait out, study, and retake. Scholarship money to T14. Profit.

User avatar
CFprez
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 am

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby CFprez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 pm

I was in a similar position too. I decided to let my wife finish undergrad, and wait a year. You will be much less stressed next year if you have money, plus waiting a year is worth much more in lifetime money if you are able to bump up that lsat. Your gpa is great.

sasquatchsam
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby sasquatchsam » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:50 pm

If it were me I would apply this cycle and see what happens if you can get fee waivers while planning to retake in December and February. There seems to be little downside to this plan since you will have to retake for next year as well. A 170+ should be in reach with a couple of months of study if your weakness is LG.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 pm

B

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:10 am

C





retake in December

User avatar
arkgawilson
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am

CFprez wrote:I was in a similar position too. I decided to let my wife finish undergrad, and wait a year. You will be much less stressed next year if you have money, plus waiting a year is worth much more in lifetime money if you are able to bump up that lsat. Your gpa is great.


I don't want to sound like a prick especially since I don't know you and i'm hoping it was unintentional, but I wanted to point out that the language in your post re: "I decided to let my wife finish undergrad" raised an eyebrow.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 am

arkgawilson wrote:I don't want to sound like a prick especially since I don't know you and i'm hoping it was unintentional, but I wanted to point out that the language in your post re: "I decided to let my wife finish undergrad" raised an eyebrow.



(outed as a feminist who thinks acceding to something in a relationship is a form of patriarchy)

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Humbert Humbert » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 am

Do not even waste the money on application fees this cycle (option C). Option B is the no-brainer right answer here. Take the year, make some money, get on a solid, regimented study plan, take the test in June, apply in Fall 2014. A few more points and you are looking top 14 or a strong regional with a full ride. Good luck.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 am

Would you get into UF/FSU? Yes. Should you go there? Probably not. Study hard for that retake and go to a T14 that will give you an actual shot at a decent FL job

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:48 am

Cicero76 wrote:Would you get into UF/FSU? Yes. Should you go there? Probably not. Study hard for that retake and go to a T14 that will give you an actual shot at a decent FL job


Hey bro, plz be MOAR specific for da OP — which LSAT administration MUST OP focus his energy on?

sasquatchsam
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby sasquatchsam » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:59 am

I really think you should consider applying/retaking for this current cycle (2013-2014). I am also in a similar situation. I graduated several years ago and my wife will graduate this spring. We were considering waiting a year for us to save money with having two incomes but then I realized that this would mean my wife would have to find a job where we are currently living, abandon it within a year, and then try to find a job in a new city. In addition, if I graduated a year earlier from school I would be making an attorney's salary a year earlier. I think if you can get into the school you want with some $$$ it is ideal to not wait a year. Retake, apply, and see what happens. You can always wait a year and reapply if you don't get what you want.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:02 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:Would you get into UF/FSU? Yes. Should you go there? Probably not. Study hard for that retake and go to a T14 that will give you an actual shot at a decent FL job


Hey bro, plz be MOAR specific for da OP — which LSAT administration MUST OP focus his energy on?


October/December might make this cycle an option. Feb retakes suck

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:07 am

sasquatchsam vents the credited response. LOL if you think OP can easily find a RESPECTABLE jerb in this shiTTTy economy. And OP also shouldn't hold his wife back from her professional aspirations

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Humbert Humbert » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 am

Dr. Dre wrote:sasquatchsam vents the credited response. LOL if you think OP can easily find a RESPECTABLE jerb in this shiTTTy economy. And OP also shouldn't hold his wife back from her professional aspirations


1) He already has a job.
2) How do you have any semblance of an idea as to what the OP's wife's career aspirations are?
3) He already said an October retake is out of the question. A December retake a) might not give him ample time to study properly; and b) forces him to apply in January, which is going to put him at a disadvantage (see el terrible's analysis).

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 am

LJL citing ET's analysis to prove your point when ET himself says 1 point increase on tha LSAT is better than submitting an app one month early.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Humbert Humbert » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:33 am

Dr. Dre wrote:LJL citing ET's analysis to prove your point when ET himself says 1 point increase on tha LSAT is better than submitting an app one month early.


Yes, a late app with a higher LSAT score is better than an early app with a lower LSAT score. You know what's better than both? An EARLY app with a HIGHER LSAT score, which is the opportunity that the June retake and Fall 2014 cycle affords him. This is a no-brainer.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:44 am

Brother, OP was thinking about retaking for the Oct LSAT. And what happened? He had work emergencies dat prevented him from studying properly for dat retake. You think OP will be free from those emergencies jan-may for the June retake? Prolly not. However OP indicates that he has that free time from now until Dec. Let him study like he will take the Dec LSAT, and if he still doesn't feel ready by Nov, then yeah he should wait a year. He could easily cop dat 170+ if he starts studying now.

User avatar
CFprez
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 am

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby CFprez » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
arkgawilson wrote:I don't want to sound like a prick especially since I don't know you and i'm hoping it was unintentional, but I wanted to point out that the language in your post re: "I decided to let my wife finish undergrad" raised an eyebrow.



(outed as a feminist who thinks acceding to something in a relationship is a form of patriarchy)


Yes, that was about the time I decided to let my wife drive and make eye contact with other people too. I decided that I should be more progressive like other people on the interwebz.

Hmm yes I read elterribles post. I think if possible december retake is a good idea. However not having money for app fees makes that hard to endorse. Work emergencies plus that would probably make studying for the lsat hard. But early app next cycle is still a great option.

User avatar
CFprez
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 am

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby CFprez » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Okay okay I just can't say that without really admitting my wife leans feminist and thinks the situation where a t14 is so crucial to lawl school success a little unfair for maybe limiting her grad school choices. That being said I still think op and his wife should wait a year.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby AT9 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow, thanks to everyone for the input. Option B seems to be the clear winner here. But why is B such a clear choice over C? To me, C seems like the slightly better option:

1) B isn't off the table by going with C.
2) C affords the most options. If I apply and get into some decent schools at a decent rate (UF/FSU?), I at least have the option to go to law school next fall if I can't deal with my current job another year, lose my job, or re-take without improving much. Those aren't very likely, but I'd at least have the extra option on the table.
3) Won't have to wait another year.

If I do well on the retake (I think I'll aim for December), I can just reapply the next fall and earn extra cash in the meantime. The only thing I'm out with option C is $150/$200 in a few app fees and the time it takes to complete the applications. So why B?

sasquatchsam
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby sasquatchsam » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 pm

AT9 wrote:Wow, thanks to everyone for the input. Option B seems to be the clear winner here. But why is B such a clear choice over C? To me, C seems like the slightly better option:

1) B isn't off the table by going with C.
2) C affords the most options. If I apply and get into some decent schools at a decent rate (UF/FSU?), I at least have the option to go to law school next fall if I can't deal with my current job another year, lose my job, or re-take without improving much. Those aren't very likely, but I'd at least have the extra option on the table.
3) Won't have to wait another year.

If I do well on the retake (I think I'll aim for December), I can just reapply the next fall and earn extra cash in the meantime. The only thing I'm out with option C is $150/$200 in a few app fees and the time it takes to complete the applications. So why B?


I think most TLSers just jump at the chance to tell someone to sit out a year and retake. Your analysis is spot on. Keep your options open but don't settle for anything less than probably a full-ride at the schools you mentioned. My guess is that with a downturn in applicants you will be fine even applying later in the cycle but you will never know if you don't apply.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:51 pm

OP retake dat LSAT when you feel the most prepared. HTH.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby AT9 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:05 am

I do plan to retake.

Probably spend the next few weeks getting the applications wrapped up and submitted, then focus on my re-take in December and/or February, whenever I'm most prepared. It's not necessarily with the intent of applying this cycle with a new score. I just don't see the downside to having both a few acceptances (hopefully) and a new LSAT on the table for scholarship negotiation or re-application the next cycle.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Should I Wait a Year? Please Help!

Postby bp shinners » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:36 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:
AT9 wrote:Wow, thanks to everyone for the input. Option B seems to be the clear winner here. But why is B such a clear choice over C? To me, C seems like the slightly better option:

1) B isn't off the table by going with C.
2) C affords the most options. If I apply and get into some decent schools at a decent rate (UF/FSU?), I at least have the option to go to law school next fall if I can't deal with my current job another year, lose my job, or re-take without improving much. Those aren't very likely, but I'd at least have the extra option on the table.
3) Won't have to wait another year.

If I do well on the retake (I think I'll aim for December), I can just reapply the next fall and earn extra cash in the meantime. The only thing I'm out with option C is $150/$200 in a few app fees and the time it takes to complete the applications. So why B?


I think most TLSers just jump at the chance to tell someone to sit out a year and retake. Your analysis is spot on. Keep your options open but don't settle for anything less than probably a full-ride at the schools you mentioned. My guess is that with a downturn in applicants you will be fine even applying later in the cycle but you will never know if you don't apply.


I've seen too many people who go in with this plan, get accepted somewhere they're lukewarm about, and decide to enroll anyway because, hey, it's here now. That's why I go for B over C. You're right in that it gives you more options; the psychology of it, though, can lead to some bad decisions.

You have a solid plan in B. You can set it up so that you and your wife always have a stream of income, and you can maximize your chances of scholarships and good acceptances. The extra year of work experience will only help with the job search after law school.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bergers2short, ohgosh and 6 guests