Letters of Recommendation for 2nd Application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jbpika

Letters of Recommendation for 2nd Application

Postby jbpika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:53 am

Hi all,

I will be re-applying to schools this fall. Now that its getting close, I'm wondering what to do with my old LORs. They are about two years old at this point. One of the recommenders will have new things to write about (my direct supervisor), but not everyone. I had four in total that I alternated between depending on the school. Should I simply re-use the old LORs, ask for a tune up that basically changes the date, or get a total revision?

I'm leaning towards asking my supervisor for a solid update and just re-using the other three. I feel like a minor update for those three would be transparent since I will be applying to many of the same places. I do think that those recommenders remain valuable though, because they are in the field that I'm interested in and I've worked very closely with them, albeit not in the past two years. The other idea is to get a new LOR from another attorney that I'm currently working with, but whose work slightly differs from what I want to do.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ti Malice

Re: Letters of Recommendation for 2nd Application

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:51 am

Get an updated LOR from your supervisor. It's fine to submit LORs from past years. Don't bother with a letter from the new attorney unless you think it would be better than your supervisor's letter. It makes no difference whatsoever whether or not someone works in your field of interest.

By the way, how many of your LORs are employment-related? It sounds like more than one. Be aware that, to the extent that they care about LORs at all, adcomms strongly prefer LORs from professors who have evaluated your academic work over employment-related LORs. Letters from employers/supervisors carry comparatively little weight. You should have two academic letters, and there's really no need to submit more than one employer LOR (or any at all).

jbpika

Postby jbpika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:41 pm

All of my LORs are employment related unfortunately. I'm six years out of undergrad at this point, so I'm hoping adcomms won't hold it against me too much. It does put me at ease to hear that older LORs aren't a problem. Can anyone else vouch for this?

jbpika

Postby jbpika » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:47 am

Bump. Any more thoughts on this? Anyone? Bueller?

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:51 am

jbpika wrote:Bump. Any more thoughts on this? Anyone? Bueller?

Bump.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”