Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Is taking the December LSAT going to put me at a disadvantage? That would mean applying to schools around New Years. Thoughts, anecdotes welcome. :-)

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Yes, because you won't be submitting a complete app until January. Schools will have been accepting people since December--a few even since November.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:27 pm

But apps have fallen so far you're probably still fine. Almost certainly still fine, except maybe at Stanford and Harvard.

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Yes, because you won't be submitting a complete app until January. Schools will have been accepting people since December--a few even since November.


I thought most December people go complete in December. Ah well. With the decline in apps recently maybe it won't matter as much?

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Cicero76 wrote:But apps have fallen so far you're probably still fine. Almost certainly still fine, except maybe at Stanford and Harvard.


Does it matter that I'm a sub 3 splitter? [would only be applying if I hit my 168 goal on the test]

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Balthy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:29 pm

All things being equal, yes, there's a significant disadvantage. With a higher LSAT score, maybe 2 points or more, probably not.

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:30 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:All things being equal, yes, there's a significant disadvantage. With a higher LSAT score, maybe 2 points or more, probably not.


Not sure what you mean with your latter sentence.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:34 pm

David_Hume14 wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:All things being equal, yes, there's a significant disadvantage. With a higher LSAT score, maybe 2 points or more, probably not.


Not sure what you mean with your latter sentence.


He means that earlier is better than later in general, but a higher LSAT score is better than a lower LSAT score, regardless of when it is submitted.

For example: a 172 on the December LSAT is better than a 170 submitted on September 1st.

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
David_Hume14 wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:All things being equal, yes, there's a significant disadvantage. With a higher LSAT score, maybe 2 points or more, probably not.


Not sure what you mean with your latter sentence.


He means that earlier is better than later in general, but a higher LSAT score is better than a lower LSAT score, regardless of when it is submitted.

For example: a 172 on the December LSAT is better than a 170 submitted on September 1st.


OK, got it.

Also, do I need to have my lsac $ paid before my profs can submit their letters? or only before lsac will send that stuff off to schools?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:27 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:All things being equal, yes, there's a significant disadvantage. With a higher LSAT score, maybe 2 points or more, probably not.


eh, i wouldn't say "SIGNIFICANT" but a slight advantage

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Balthy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:All things being equal, yes, there's a significant disadvantage. With a higher LSAT score, maybe 2 points or more, probably not.


eh, i wouldn't say "SIGNIFICANT" but a slight advantage



I'm basing that off of elterrible's analysis. Of course it has its limitations since it's based on LSN, but I think it's probably accurate. Here's a the analysis for Penn in case you haven't seen the blog yet:

http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... el-in.html

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:29 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:All things being equal, yes, there's a significant disadvantage. With a higher LSAT score, maybe 2 points or more, probably not.


eh, i wouldn't say "SIGNIFICANT" but a slight advantage



I'm basing that off of elterrible's analysis. Of course it has its limitations since it's based on LSN, but I think it's probably accurate. Here's a the analysis for Penn in case you haven't seen the blog yet:

http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... el-in.html


Bro, I think his blog is saying a 1 point increase in LSAT is more valuable than submitting app 1 month early

So all OP has to do to make up the 2 LATE months is to increase his LSAT score by 2 points.

RatemyLSATprep
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby RatemyLSATprep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 pm

I took the December LSAT last year and sent my applications out during the first week of January and got into the schools I wanted to. With a strong LSAT score and a competitive GPA, I don't think taking the December LSAT puts you at much of a disadvantage. I also attended panels held by admission counselors from different Law Schools and most of them said taking the December LSAT putting you at a disadvantage is a myth.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 pm

RatemyLSATprep wrote:taking the December LSAT putting you at a disadvantage is a myth.



TITCR

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:43 pm

RatemyLSATprep wrote:I took the December LSAT last year and sent my applications out during the first week of January and got into the schools I wanted to. With a strong LSAT score and a competitive GPA, I don't think taking the December LSAT puts you at much of a disadvantage. I also attended panels held by admission counselors from different Law Schools and most of them said taking the December LSAT putting you at a disadvantage is a myth.

Admissions counselors also claim that softs matter and that admission is holistic.

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Balthy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:All things being equal, yes, there's a significant disadvantage. With a higher LSAT score, maybe 2 points or more, probably not.


eh, i wouldn't say "SIGNIFICANT" but a slight advantage



I'm basing that off of elterrible's analysis. Of course it has its limitations since it's based on LSN, but I think it's probably accurate. Here's a the analysis for Penn in case you haven't seen the blog yet:

http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... el-in.html


Bro, I think his blog is saying a 1 point increase in LSAT is more valuable than submitting app 1 month early

So all OP has to do to make up the 2 LATE months is to increase his LSAT score by 2 points.


Yeah, that's what I'm saying too. His blog is saying that, all things being equal (as in, two applicants with the same scores/GPA applying early vs late) applying late puts you at a significant disadvantage, but a couple of points higher on the LSAT offsets that enough to make it worth it. Specifically for Penn, for example, an applicant applying earlier than someone with identical numbers has a 25.7% higher chance of being admitted for each month that he applies earlier.


Edited for clarity
Last edited by Balthy on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm saying too. His blog is saying that, all things being equal (as in, two applicants with the same scores applying early vs late) applying late puts you at a significant disadvantage, but a couple of points higher on the LSAT offsets that enough to make it worth it.


25.7% per month isn't dat significant

RatemyLSATprep
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby RatemyLSATprep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
RatemyLSATprep wrote:I took the December LSAT last year and sent my applications out during the first week of January and got into the schools I wanted to. With a strong LSAT score and a competitive GPA, I don't think taking the December LSAT puts you at much of a disadvantage. I also attended panels held by admission counselors from different Law Schools and most of them said taking the December LSAT putting you at a disadvantage is a myth.

Admissions counselors also claim that softs matter and that admission is holistic.


Ultimately they want people to apply, so they'll say anything.

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Taking December LSAT - Disadvantage?

Postby Balthy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm saying too. His blog is saying that, all things being equal (as in, two applicants with the same scores applying early vs late) applying late puts you at a significant disadvantage, but a couple of points higher on the LSAT offsets that enough to make it worth it.


25.7% per month isn't dat significant



Really? You don't think so? It seems huge to me. Worth trying hard to cop that high score as early as possible, but of course, it's still preferable to have a late app with a higher score.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Why??? and 6 guests