Should I ED at Northwestern?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
irishballa

Should I ED at Northwestern?

Postby irishballa » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 am

Edited.
Last edited by irishballa on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

akg144

Re: Should I ED at Northwestern?

Postby akg144 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:40 am

Few things. 1) Every single poster below is going to say these exact words "Don't waste that GPA - re-take this October." Then after that they will explain if you study for the next 58 days it could be worth 200k of your time or roughly 100k/month. Then they will say if your not willing to work hard for the next 2 months something a bit pretentious like "why are you even going to law in the first place if your not willing to work hard for 2 months." 2) As is however if your not willing to re-take I think your best bet would be to apply regular decision and blanket the t14 besides HYS if you don't have one school your willing to commit to and see what offers you can leverage.

With regards to Northwestern, the answer is yes if you ED and get accepted you will get 50k per year if you maintain academic standing (i.e. meet or exceed a 2.25 GPA). http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:32 am

You're not going to get NU ED with a 169. Retake.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:44 am

Samara wrote:You're not going to get NU ED with a 169. Retake.

I tried finding data on this and it just doesn't exist. But I'm inclined to believe you are correct.

OP, you have a very easy optimal route. Retake the LSAT in October and if you don't break 170, retake it again in December. If at any point you break 170, a 170+/3.92 should not ED NU unless you want nothing more than Chicago biglaw and are debt averse. Otherwise, apply widely with your 170 and enjoy the possibility of a full ride at all of MVPDNCG. Even if you don't break a 170, there is a chance that some schools within that list fall to or are already below a 170 LSAT median and you would have a chance for a full ride there. A 170 also improves your odds at S and to a lesser extent H.

How were your scholarship options last year?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 am

Actually, this is not true.

And if you look at the individual applicant data, the only waitlisted candidate had GPA and LSAT lower than the OP's.

Strangely enough only one accepted student reported the scholarship money amount, but maybe it's because with NU ED you simply assume it's for the full ride anyway and the others didn't bother.

Therefore, presently NU ED is an option that is available to you if you're extremely debt-averse. But if you retake and get even one point up, you have a shoe in at Harvard.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:53 am

heythatslife wrote:

And if you look at the individual applicant data, the only waitlisted candidate had GPA and LSAT lower than the OP's.

Strangely enough only one accepted student reported the scholarship money amount, but maybe it's because with NU ED you simply assume it's for the full ride anyway and the others didn't bother.

Therefore, presently NU ED is an option that is available to you if you're extremely debt-averse. But if you retake and get even one point up, you have a shoe in at Harvard.

Actually, you should read the profiles of those results rather than blindly repeat what mylsn spits out. Of the 5 people in the graphic, three of them were admitted in '09, before the full-ride ED program started. One lists that they were deferred from ED and accepted RD. The fifth lists only $75k in scholarship, from which we can infer that they were also deferred to RD. So, nope, not getting the full-ride with a 169. (There would have to be another huge drop in applications for that to even be a discussion.)

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:59 am

Samara wrote:
heythatslife wrote:

Actually, you should read the profiles of those results rather than blindly repeat what mylsn spits out. Of the 5 people in the graphic, three of them were admitted in '09, before the full-ride ED program started. One lists that they were deferred from ED and accepted RD. The fifth lists only $75k in scholarship, from which we can infer that they were also deferred to RD. So, nope, not getting the full-ride with a 169. (There would have to be another huge drop in applications for that to even be a discussion.)

Oh, oops. You're right.

M458

Postby M458 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Edited: You might get NU ED w/ your current score, but retaking is advised. Good luck.
Last edited by M458 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:26 pm

I have a friend who got a full ride at northwestern(not ED) with similar numbers and no WE and took CCN with a small scholly. This is totally up to you and your debt-aversion and career goals.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:28 pm

retake

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:06 am

Samara wrote:
heythatslife wrote:

http://myLSN.info/5pc4e2_12-12.jpg[/img]

This is the credited insight, I believe. Because it now carries a full ride, I gather that ED is now materially harder to get than it was before. It's clearly designed to snag and lock in people who would go higher in the T14, so if you don't have the numbers to get into higher T14, you are unlikely to get ED and will instead be sent to the RD pile. If you got in everywhere but HS last year you may indeed be a candidate for the NU ED for reasons other than your numbers, but it still may not be the best idea.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:10 pm

malleus discentium wrote: It's clearly designed to snag and lock in people who would go higher in the T14, so if you don't have the numbers to get into higher T14, you are unlikely to get ED and will instead be sent to the RD pile. If you got in everywhere but HS last year you may indeed be a candidate for the NU ED for reasons other than your numbers, but it still may not be the best idea.

Retake is obviously the right answer as usual but it's worth noting that 169/3.92 is going to get lots of T-14 acceptances.

irishballa

Postby irishballa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful!!

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 pm

If it makes you feel better I'm EDing to NU with 171/3.9

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”