NasserK Admissions Help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KamronK
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:28 am

NasserK Admissions Help

Postby KamronK » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 pm

I will have multiple questions over the next couple months, so I thought that I would keep it all in one thread. For now, is anyone available to review my resume? I am pretty happy with how it's formatted, but I set it up originally to only cover one page (until I added my most recent job). I want to know if I'm missing anything important since I've heard that the resume for law school should include more information. Let me know if you're willing to help, and I will send it over to you.
Thank you!

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby TheThriller » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 pm

You should seek out an admissions consultant. You're an adult, you should be learning to do these things yourself. Also the search function on this forum will answer most/all your questions.

NasserK wrote:I will have multiple questions over the next couple months, so I thought that I would keep it all in one thread. For now, is anyone available to review my resume? I am pretty happy with how it's formatted, but I set it up originally to only cover one page (until I added my most recent job). I want to know if I'm missing anything important since I've heard that the resume for law school should include more information. Let me know if you're willing to help, and I will send it over to you.
Thank you!


How would we know what to add for you? And keep it 1 page.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Google "harvard law sample resumes," click the first result, and follow those examples.

KamronK
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:28 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby KamronK » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:41 pm

TheThriller, I meant to use this more as a thread to review my resume and personal statement, not to ask about things that I can go through step-by-step on LSAC or this forum.

It's good to know that one page works well for this purpose too. I have education (including clubs), work experience, and two internships on there. I just wanted to see if there was any other relevant information that people generally will include.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:45 pm

It's not that 1 page "works well," it's that law school/first legal job resumes are expected to be one page long.

Something that is unique about legal resumes is the Personal Interests section. Yes, this is a serious thing.

rinkrat19 wrote:Here's my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs.

Image

User avatar
walterwhite
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby walterwhite » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 pm

what do admissions officers use resumes for? i thought soft factors like extracurriculars and internships were basically irrelevant in the law school application process

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 pm

walterwhite wrote:what do admissions officers use resumes for? i thought soft factors like extracurriculars and internships were basically irrelevant in the law school application process

Basically irrelevant =/= completely irrelevant

Also, they want to see who will jump through their hoops.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22887
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 pm

walterwhite wrote:what do admissions officers use resumes for? i thought soft factors like extracurriculars and internships were basically irrelevant in the law school application process

Schools pretend they're not. And if you've got two candidates with really similar numbers, they can look to softs to break the tie.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby jselson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Google "harvard law sample resumes," click the first result, and follow those examples.


This is what I did. They're very, very helpful.

I also did a 2-page resume, fwiw. I don't think it had any effect whatsoever on my cycle.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:54 pm

jselson wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Google "harvard law sample resumes," click the first result, and follow those examples.


This is what I did. They're very, very helpful.

I also did a 2-page resume, fwiw. I don't think it had any effect whatsoever on my cycle.

You will absolutely have to reduce it to one during 1L. Might as well do it now.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby jselson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
jselson wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Google "harvard law sample resumes," click the first result, and follow those examples.


This is what I did. They're very, very helpful.

I also did a 2-page resume, fwiw. I don't think it had any effect whatsoever on my cycle.

You will absolutely have to reduce it to one during 1L. Might as well do it now.


Obviously I will. But there's stuff like publications, conferences, and extracurriculars that I think mattered that I wouldn't include on a real legal resume. Law schools aren't picky about just one page, and so I see no reason for someone to exclude something that is relevant to their application just because they "need" to shorten it. No one's getting picked over someone else because of the length of their resume.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22887
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:04 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
jselson wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Google "harvard law sample resumes," click the first result, and follow those examples.


This is what I did. They're very, very helpful.

I also did a 2-page resume, fwiw. I don't think it had any effect whatsoever on my cycle.

You will absolutely have to reduce it to one during 1L. Might as well do it now.

I say this every time it comes up, but: I had a 2p resume all through law school. Got jobs. (I also agree that it doesn't really matter how long the resume is for admissions purposes; in fact, I'd say that for admissions you're looking for something more comprehensive, like a cv, that represents everything you've done, rather than the targeted "here's what's relevant to your job" kind of resume used to apply to specific jobs.)

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:17 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:(I also agree that it doesn't really matter how long the resume is for admissions purposes; in fact, I'd say that for admissions you're looking for something more comprehensive, like a cv, that represents everything you've done, rather than the targeted "here's what's relevant to your job" kind of resume used to apply to specific jobs.)


Exactly right. The law school application résumé is not a job application résumé.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:39 am

FWIW, I've seen plenty of 2 page resumes in the federal government. Maybe there's some law specific rule that resumes must be one page, but in my experience with non-legal professional jobs, your resume can be two pages as long as it's two pages of necessary, substantive stuff. Three would be too much, though.

A little common sense is necessary here. If you're a k-jd, you don't need two pages to discuss the clubs you were in during undergrad and your summer internships. If you're a non-traditional applicant with 5+ years of experience, maybe that's necessary.

KamronK
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:28 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby KamronK » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:18 pm

It seems like there's some different opinions here. Thank you for the feedback!

Question 2:
What is your opinion on evaluations?
I have not heard them mentioned very much, as the focus seems to be on recommendations. However, the professor I spoke to today said that she has usually done evaluations whenever she's written a letter for someone. So, are evaluations necessary, and if so, how many would you recommend I include with the application? All my letter writers know me pretty well...so should I have each one of them do both?

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: NasserK Admissions Help

Postby jselson » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:44 pm

NasserK wrote:It seems like there's some different opinions here. Thank you for the feedback!

Question 2:
What is your opinion on evaluations?
I have not heard them mentioned very much, as the focus seems to be on recommendations. However, the professor I spoke to today said that she has usually done evaluations whenever she's written a letter for someone. So, are evaluations necessary, and if so, how many would you recommend I include with the application? All my letter writers know me pretty well...so should I have each one of them do both?


Schools don't ask for them, and they can only hurt you, so don't send 'em.

Think of it this way: I'm a professor writing a student a recommendation. I have my recommendation template that says all these nice things about a student. I only have so much space, so I focus on a few personal things for you and frame them how I want to, and I expect an adcomm to glance over it for a second and throw it away. If I really like you, I'll write something special.

Now I'm filling out an evaluation. Oh, huh, here's a question I haven't considered before. Never thought about that question. The student did pretty well at it, but not perfect, so here's a 4 out of 5. Oh here's another one. I guess the student was okay at it, ok 3 out of 5.

Suddenly your utterly positive PS doesn't look so great.

Now imagine I get, as a professor, how this looks to an adcomm. So I say screw it, and just fill out all 5's.

How many adcomms will believe that I didn't just say screw it?

Again, the conclusion: It can only hurt you and is not required, so don't send it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Smeag91 and 6 guests