Addendum for class I thought I dropped?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
asundialwatch

Addendum for class I thought I dropped?

Postby asundialwatch » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Hey all, I appreciate any advice you can give.

I just received my transcripts from my school after having graduated two years ago. I was surprised to find that I had a failing grade in the final semester of my senior year! It turns out that my Independent Study I thought I had dropped didn't get dropped. When I called my school they said they had received the request too late in the semester. I haven't tried challenging it (not even sure how that works), but now I'm worried about it's impact on my law school apps. I have 173 LSAT and accounting for the F a 3.4 GPA. Is it worth it to write an addendum explaining my mistake? Thanks!

xylocarp

Re: Addendum for class I thought I dropped?

Postby xylocarp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 pm

What would your GPA be without the F? 3.5 or so? Less? I think you should definitely look more into challenging it - you can write an addendum if you want, but it's sure as hell not going to make even CLOSE to as huge a difference as a possible 0.1 higher GPA.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:15 pm

That's crazy, same thing happened to Me!

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:41 pm

If its your only F in a sea of A/B, then I would address it. More as an FYI than as an excuse tho

asundialwatch

Postby asundialwatch » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:49 pm

xylocarp wrote:What would your GPA be without the F? 3.5 or so? Less? I think you should definitely look more into challenging it - you can write an addendum if you want, but it's sure as hell not going to make even CLOSE to as huge a difference as a possible 0.1 higher GPA.

How does one challenge a grade? I'd have a 3.56 without the F which would be much better obviously! I guess it's probably just something to check with the college.

Also, if I ultimately write an addendum any tips on explaining it without seeming like I'm making excuses?

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:02 pm

asundialwatch wrote:
xylocarp wrote:What would your GPA be without the F? 3.5 or so? Less? I think you should definitely look more into challenging it - you can write an addendum if you want, but it's sure as hell not going to make even CLOSE to as huge a difference as a possible 0.1 higher GPA.

How does one challenge a grade? I'd have a 3.56 without the F which would be much better obviously! I guess it's probably just something to check with the college.

Also, if I ultimately write an addendum any tips on explaining it without seeming like I'm making excuses?

Wow, if the difference is actually 3.4 --> 3.56, it is definitely, absolutely worth it to check in with the school, advisors, professors, basically anyone who could help you. I have no idea if it's going to be possible or not to change the grade, but it's worth it to try. Maybe somebody out there will take pity on your unfortunate story and make it happen.

I don't know much about writing addenda, hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:46 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:If its your only F in a sea of A/B, then I would address it. More as an FYI than as an excuse tho

+1

This is a situation where you don't come off looking great even with an explanation, but it's arguable that providing an explanation is better than letting adcomms dream one up for you. But like AOM said, it's key that your addendum leave the impression that you're just trying to fill an information gap rather than make an excuse.

On the other hand, I think it's also arguable that you shouldn't draw any extra attention to it. Outside of Y, S, and maybe H and B, no school is going to care about anything other than your cumulative GPA. Since you're out at these four schools even with no F, maybe it's best just to leave the matter alone.

I realize that didn't provide you with an actual answer. It's a tough call.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:26 am

Same thing happened to me, I wrote an addendum (kind of like an FYI addendum explaining it), cycle went well.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:58 am

Try to get the grade changed. It's unlikely that you can (it's been years, and the reason the school gave for not dropping the class is reasonable), but you have nothing to lose by trying. All schools have a formal process for asking for a grade change/protesting a grade, so go ahead and contact the school. You might start either with your old academic advisor (if they are still there) or, if they are gone, with the Registrar's office. The Dean's office for your old major department may be able to help as well.

GJWheeler

Postby GJWheeler » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:05 am

i highly doubt anyone is going to recalculate your gpa because of an addendum. but if you're thinking of including an addendum for another purpose, then I'd limit it to 2 sentences MAX.

Personally, I don't think it really matters and I don't think you should spend more time worrying about this. Go with your gut (and if your gut says to write it, then keep it supershort.)

szb5058

Postby szb5058 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:05 pm

DEFINITELY try to get the grade changed. Really can't hurt to try.

As for an addendum, I think that this is one of the few times that you actually should write one. Just a simple, half-page explanation should suffice with a little corny bit about how this experience has taught you to double check work, and stay on top of details, even if they don't seem too important at first.

asundialwatch

Postby asundialwatch » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:31 pm

This is an old bump. I wasn't able to get the grade changed ultimately, but I would love some feedback on the addendum I've written. I don't want to seem like I'm making excuses. Please recommend changes!

Fixed!
Last edited by asundialwatch on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neprep

Postby neprep » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:02 pm

asundialwatch wrote:This is an old bump. I wasn't able to get the grade changed ultimately, but I would love some feedback on the addendum I've written. I don't want to seem like I'm making excuses. Please recommend changes!

[NEP Changes]

The deadline to drop courses doesn't seem like a "small" detail, so you may want to rephrase that. Sounds like you're brushing it off a little bit over there.

ETA: Happy to delete the quote whenever you want.
Last edited by neprep on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asundialwatch

Postby asundialwatch » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:13 pm

You are amazing neprep. Thanks so much for the help! I changed it from small detail to "making sure all details are addressed". I think you are right to point that out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”