LOR from law firm

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Malapropism

LOR from law firm

Postby Malapropism » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:15 pm

I've interned at a small law firm for a couple of years. Two attorneys have offered to write me LORs without my prompting. One is a partner, and the other is an associate. The former did some prestigious governmental work before coming to the firm, and the latter is going to be leaving to work at a prestigious clerkship. Both seem like the type to write very positive LORs, and I've worked a fair deal with both of them in the past. I would say that I've worked a bit more with the associate, and moreover, have had many more conversations about non-work-related matters, including my own hopes for law/ law school and her suggestions as to how to achieve them.

Additionally, the head of the firm might be willing to write me a LOR if I asked her. We have a friendly relationship, and even though I haven't done much work for her personally, she keeps tabs on me and has played a leading role in getting me involved in various aspects of goings-on at the firm. We have had some conversations re non-work topics, and her name probably pulls the most weight.

I will already have two LORs from professors, but I'd like to have a work-related LOR due to how long I've been at this internship, either to submit alongside the first two, or to hold onto in case of being waitlisted. Which of these three attorneys do you think would be the wisest to ask?

(Please don't quote in your responses, and thanks for your insight!)

Humbert Humbert

Re: LOR from law firm

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Get it from whoever will write the best letter. If that's the junior guy, so be it. The content of the letter matters more than the title of it's author.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Recommendations hardly matter. It is the LSAT that matters.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:13 pm

sparty99 wrote:Recommendations hardly matter. It is the LSAT that matters.

Unless you're aiming for HYS, in which case only academic recs matter. So in any case, the person you choose at your firm to write an employer rec doesn't matter at all

Malapropism

Postby Malapropism » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:02 am

Thanks guys! After some consideration, I've decided to go with the associate. As I said, I still will have two strong academic LORs; I just want something to reflect all the time and effort I've put into my internship and flesh out my story a little more.

Of course, the LSAT is still my main focus right now. Fingers crossed for October!

John Winger

Postby John Winger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 am

Sort of related to this topic as I am in a similar situation. If the person who is writing your LOR is an alumn of one of the school your applying to, should you ask them specifically or still pick the best writer. Also, what if different partners at the firm went to different schools and I am interested in both?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 am

John Winger wrote:Sort of related to this topic as I am in a similar situation. If the person who is writing your LOR is an alumn of one of the school your applying to, should you ask them specifically or still pick the best writer. Also, what if different partners at the firm went to different schools and I am interested in both?

The honest answer is that it doesnt matter at all. Pick who you think would do the best job but dont worry too much.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 am

John Winger wrote:Sort of related to this topic as I am in a similar situation. If the person who is writing your LOR is an alumn of one of the school your applying to, should you ask them specifically or still pick the best writer. Also, what if different partners at the firm went to different schools and I am interested in both?

Edit: Double post

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”