Application fee waiver

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rinkrat19

Re: Criminal record

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I guess we're all just taking the guy's word for it? He also said the cop drugged him.

(up and coming shit assistant district attorney)

I'm not saying criminal defendants don't get screwed over, because they do. But whether they think they've been screwed over often has very little to do with whether they actually have.

And while there are certainly some innocent people wrongfully put in prison, practically everyone in prison says they're innocent. Call me crazy, but I don't think they're ALL innocent.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote: Call me crazy, but I don't think they're ALL innocent.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:

And I'm all for underenforcement...but I'm also not just going to take some sketchy internet guy's word for it without acknowledging that we're only getting one side of the story.

Besides, even IF his story happened exactly how he says it did, he was still buying weed from someone he didn't know (stupid) and then hit another car on purpose (stupid and dangerous). And he was 17, not 12, plenty old enough to "know what he was doing." Not exactly citizen of the year material.

erik the viking

Postby erik the viking » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:22 pm

I don't see any reason that OP should have a problem getting into law school. He's clearly paid his debt to society.
Last edited by erik the viking on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:27 pm

erik the viking wrote:I don't see any reason that OP should have a problem getting into law school. He's clearly paid his debt to society. A crime can't be reasonably held against a person after they've served their time. Law school employees should know that better than anyone else. If anything, I would think that his extensive experience with the criminal justice system would be a selling point. And then there are the circumstances, which seem to amount to entrapment. At the very least the cop sold him bad drugs that made him crazy. You can't blame someone for their actions when they're on illegal drugs. They're illegal for a reason after all. Just say all that in your addendum.

You can blame a person for their actions when on illegal drugs when they choose to take the drugs in the first place.

Besides, he said he was buying marijuana and the cop took his money and drove away. I don't see how you get "hopped up on bad drugs" out of that.

(I actually agree that if OP is real and has served whatever sentence, he should be able to get into law school.)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:33 pm

erik the viking wrote:I don't see any reason that OP should have a problem getting into law school. He's clearly paid his debt to society. A crime can't be reasonably held against a person after they've served their time. Law school employees should know that better than anyone else. If anything, I would think that his extensive experience with the criminal justice system would be a selling point. And then there are the circumstances, which seem to amount to entrapment. At the very least the cop sold him bad drugs that made him crazy. You can't blame someone for their actions when they're on illegal drugs. They're illegal for a reason after all. Just say all that in your addendum.

Your grasp of criminal defenses seems tenuous at best. Look up mens rea (specifically, negligence).
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

And I'm all for underenforcement...but I'm also not just going to take some sketchy internet guy's word for it without acknowledging that we're only getting one side of the story.

Besides, even IF his story happened exactly how he says it did, he was still buying weed from someone he didn't know (stupid) and then hit another car on purpose (stupid and dangerous). And he was 17, not 12, plenty old enough to "know what he was doing." Not exactly citizen of the year material.

I can't speak for everyone, but my responses to him don't necessarily imply that I believe his story, only that I want to hear more of it. Whether or not I believe him doesn't matter much anyways.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 pm

I can't see how you can get into any law school that would be worth attending. I think you would be wasting your time and money. There are still enough good candidates that they don't need to take you and take the hit that admitting you will cause to their reputation. You might have been a minor but let's face it, you killed a cop and spent 30 years in jail. The information will come out eventually and the school will suffer for it.

Sorry to sound so harsh but you need to be realistic.

If you need better answers, you should consult with an attorney that specializes in ethics.

erik the viking

Postby erik the viking » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Oh true. Good point.
Last edited by erik the viking on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Postby haus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:40 pm

erik the viking wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Your grasp of criminal defenses seems tenuous at best. Look up mens rea (specifically, negligence).

Oh true. Good point. Is he a URM? If he's AA it shouldn't matter. mylsn.info gives him a 100% shot at NYU with 60K. Have fun.

Does mylsn.info have a "murdered cop" option now?

I tell you, these online tools for prospective students just keep getting better...

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 pm

haus wrote:
erik the viking wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Oh true. Good point. Is he a URM? If he's AA it shouldn't matter. mylsn.info gives him a 100% shot at NYU with 60K. Have fun.

Does mylsn.info have a "murdered cop" option now?

I tell you, these online tools for prospective students just keep getting better...

Much to my surprise, it turns out that numbers aren't everything all the time in law school admissions. I don't see NYU stepping up to hand out scholarship money to any convicted felon, much less a felon with the experience described by OP.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Wormfather wrote:You got your bachelor's when?

Exactly*** Noy reading further. OP, although I said WTF; I didn't laugh. So if you are a troll, you suck at it and are not funny.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Wormfather wrote:You got your bachelor's when?

Exactly*** Noy reading further. OP, although I said WTF; I didn't laugh. So if you are a troll, you suck at it and are not funny.

There are prison programs for inmates to get college degrees, particularly young inmates. I was at the Bard College graduation this year and there were at least two grads who got their degree through Bard's program.

http://bpi.bard.edu/

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Trolling? Or 0L?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:06 pm

NYstate wrote:I can't see how you can get into any law school that would be worth attending.

If you need better answers, you should consult with an attorney that specializes in ethics.

As to the first sentence, you are aware Tulane let in a murderer, right?

As to the second sentence, I'd say it's credited to talk to an ethics atty before application.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:
NYstate wrote:I can't see how you can get into any law school that would be worth attending.

As to the first sentence, you are aware Tulane let in a murderer, right?

As to the second sentence, I'd say it's credited to talk to an ethics atty before application.

Yes. Two points about Tulane. I don't think it is worth attending ( I don't think OP would get financial aid .) Second, the adverse publicity and negative attention Tulane received for doing this has to make other schools wary. The first thing that comes to mind when people mention Tulane is that they admitted a murderer. No school wants to take on that PR nightmare.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:01 pm

haus wrote:Does mylsn.info have a "murdered cop" option now?

Hey idiot, OP was convicted on MANSLAUGHTER not MURDER, idiot. I can tell by your poast that you're one of those shitlib trayvon martin supporters who hate zimmerhero cause he "murdered" a teenage kid.

LOL @ you ITT

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:12 pm

I thought I saw on 60 minutes that Harvard let in (or hired as an adjunct faculty) a convicted murderer within the past decade. He had gone to college in prison, and was freed by their innocence project. Even though his conviction was overturned he would still have had to disclose being arrested, indicted, convicted, and sent to prison for murder (as expunged records must be reported).

Plus many states including mine allow convicted felons to take the bar. 30 years is a hell of a debt the OP paid to society. I say let the man go on with his life.
Last edited by jdmonkey on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Regardless of whether you can get in, why are you pursuing this? What do you plan on doing afterward? And did you manage to complete a bachelor's degree while in prison?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Andress Idarraga, convicted felon (drug dealing), matriculated to muthufuckin YALE LAW SCHOOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg9Fmalc_5w

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:26 pm

I just read about that Tulane murderer and I'm pretty surprised they let him in. I expected self defense or manslaughter or something other than "beat him to death and then robbed him because the guy was allegedly a perv."

johngreen

Postby johngreen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Last edited by johngreen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

johngreen

Postby johngreen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Last edited by johngreen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:55 pm

johngreen wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:How did the cop drug you? It sounds like he took your money without giving you the goods, so from what you've written thus far you didn't get the drugs from him (and even if you did, you would have used them by yourself, so this wouldn't be "getting drugged by a cop"). Did he have a needle that he used to inject drugs into you, or did he force you to drink something? I'm just not getting this part of the story. :roll:

Rather than excuses like "OP was a minor" or "OP didn't intentionally kill someone" or "OP didn't know it was a cop," the reason of "OP was forced to take a behavior-altering substance by a police officer" seems like it would be a much better defense (if it is true).

He pressured me into smoking marijuana which he laced with LSD

I didn't know you liked to get wet

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”