another LOR Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
samantha.b233

another LOR Question

Postby samantha.b233 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:02 am

I have used a name rather than my legal name throughout my college and current job. Of course, professors have access to and my boss know my legal name. But when asking for LORs (also preparing resume), should I ask the professors to use the name they are more familiar with or should I ask them to use the legal name?

lastsamurai

Re: another LOR Question

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:52 pm

samantha.b233 wrote:I have used a name rather than my legal name throughout my college and current job. Of course, professors have access to and my boss know my legal name. But when asking for LORs (also preparing resume), should I ask the professors to use the name they are more familiar with or should I ask them to use the legal name?

I'm using my nickname as opposed to my full name. I assume that the admissions personnel will be able to put it together. However, if I went by something vastly different from my legal name, or by my middle name, I would consider displaying it as Samantha (Sam) Jones or Samantha Melissa Jones or something like that

Cicero76

Re: another LOR Question

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I use my middle name. In LORs, my professors simply stated my full name in the first sentence and mentioned that they knew me by [middle name], then proceeded to use that to refer to me the rest of the time. Helped emphasize that they knew me well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”