Question about softs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Question about softs

Postby grumpycat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:22 pm

so i've searched this topic through and through but can't find an answer specific to me, so I'll just ask away. sorry if this post is an annoyance!
basically, i'm a sophomore liberal arts major at a local state college, so I don't come from a prestigious UG or anything and I also have no unheard-of major. Also, I'm expected to pay part of my tuition so I've had to work through my freshman year. I still was able to work on campus, held a minimum wage cashier job on campus, but nothing special freshman year. I got pretty involved on campus though through clubs.
However, now I've gotten a better job on campus, ambassador for my college, but again, nothing special. i have softs (clubs, part time jobs, and volunteering) which are enough to have a page long resume right now, but nothing WOWish or anything. No internships or research and next summer I want to dedicate to studying for the LSAT and summer school for GPA padding. What i'm asking is: I know law schools don't care about softs outside of HYS, but the thing is I'm aiming for HS. ( I know it's fairly early in my college years, but I figure setting goals is necessary for any successful student) I'm not sure how to amp up my softs? Did you work super hard on your softs in college? Were you not involved at all? Were your softs KILLER and if so, how did you manage them?
Oh and, I know I mentioned padding my GPA but it's by no means low or in danger, I know to take the easiest courses and get A's so my grades are on the right track, and hopefully some CC summer courses can raise my LSDAS GPA.
thanks again y'all! and sorry it's so long!

Re: Question about softs

Postby We'reAllGonnaMakeIt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:14 am

Harvard doesn't care a bit softs as much as Yale and Stanford.

My use of the search function have told me that unless you're an Olympic gold medal winner, cured cancer, or started a business, or a feminist or former adult film actor/actress, than it really doesn't make a difference.

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:32 am

H doesn't care about softs. If you want H, GPA/LSAT = admit.

If you want S (or Y), do GPA/LSAT, and then find a cause that you really care about and dedicate some time to it in a leadership capacity. It is surprisingly easy to have really good softs when you find something that you enjoy spending your time doing

Postby grumpycat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:37 am

Thanks for the responses y'all! MOTM, gotcha. Thanks for your advice! I do a lot of volunteering, and I happen to really enjoy the place and the people I volunteer for. I guess I have some pretty far fetched ideas i can maybe accomplish with that. Thanks, again! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”